Sign in to follow this  
Patrick Cooper

Pop group performance photos

Last year, I photographed a female pop group performing on stage within the Royal Adelaide Show in South Australia. The Royal Show is a mix of different kinds of elements like amusement park / fairground and agricultural and animal / livestock displays. You pay for an admission ticket to gain entry but pretty much all of the events / performances inside are free to watch. I'm just wondering if my images of the pop group I photographed on stage would be acceptable as editorial on a stock agency from a legal perspective. I'm not going to bother submitting them to SS because I know I'll get a rejection for lack of press credentials. I'm wondering about the possibility of submitting them to other stock agencies. 

This pop group is known as Girl Nation and they do have a manager. And of course there's a reason why press credentials exist. I'm assuming that this would be a case where press credentials would be required in order to have such images accepted as stock. So I'm guessing my photos of Girl Nation would be a no go everywhere with stock agencies in general?

I know that some people will say just submit them and see what happens though sometimes reviewers make mistakes and let images in that shouldn't really be there. And I don't want the legal repercussions of that. 

You'd need to check the entry conditions and terms of the show as well.  When you buy a ticket or enter a private venue they all have rules and conditions you agree to abide by as a condition of entry.

Often those have rules about photography, permits etc.

Just now, Richard Whitcombe said:

You'd need to check the entry conditions and terms of the show as well.  When you buy a ticket or enter a private venue they all have rules and conditions you agree to abide by as a condition of entry.

Often those have rules about photography, permits etc.

And yes I have seen such entry conditions on tickets relating to photography for various events that Ive been to. Though with regards to the Royal Show, I don't recall any such details on the ticket that allowed me entry on to the grounds.

Just now, Firn said:

You will need press credentials for these.
Shutterstock's rules clearly state that you need them for "Concerts held in private venues with ticketed admission" and your explanation of the event falls into that category.
https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/000006632?l=en_US

Yea like I mentioned before, I won't bother submitting them here because I know I'll get a guaranteed rejection. I'm wondering about stock agencies in general.

8 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

And yes I have seen such entry conditions on tickets relating to photography for various events that Ive been to. Though with regards to the Royal Show, I don't recall any such details on the ticket that allowed me entry on to the grounds.

Yea like I mentioned before, I won't bother submitting them here because I know I'll get a guaranteed rejection. I'm wondering about stock agencies in general.

Ah, sorry, I must have misunderstood.
I know it's a no-go on Adobe as they don't accept any editorials.  Same with Getty/istock as they say they have a "special team" for photos with press credentials and you cannot submit such content as a normal creative contributor.
I can't find official info on Alamy, but at least in the forum people write about requiring press credentials too and on Dreamstime I only found an article that explains how to obtain press credentials, but not for what content it is needed.

I think press credentials would be given out by the organisation of the event, not the band itself, so you could still try to contact them and ask for credentials, even if the event is already in the past. Shutterstock accepts e-mail correspondence as credentials as long as all important info is included. But the question is - is it really worth it for a small band hardly anyone knows?

Yea good call.. I could ask on the forums at DT and Alamy. Though it seems likely that they won't be submitted as stock anywhere. Better to be safe than sorry.

I am building up a portfolio of musical artist performances so that one day, I may get lucky and obtain a media pass to photograph a concert or two by big name artists. And I could add these Girl Nation pop group photos to this portfolio so they will be useful in that sense. 

14 minutes ago, Perry Correll said:

You could try to get some retroactive press credentials.

Hmmm....I wonder if that's possible. I guess I could try and contact the group's manager. Though even if I do get the manager's permission, I guess I would also need approval from the venue as well?

btw this is from the condition of entry:

Photography, Filming or Recording: It is not our intention for amateur photographers to be restricted from taking photos/recording around the Showground, providing that:

1) Cameras, including mobile phones with recording capabilities, must not be used in areas such as toilets, parenting/shower and change rooms

2) The photographer is not causing annoyance or inconvenience to other show patrons

3) The subject of the photo/recording is not one detailed in the Summary Offences Act 1953

4) The subjects have given their consent (if under 18 then their parent’s/guardian’s consent)

5) The photos/recordings are not to be sold for commercial gain

6) Professional Photographers must seek prior approval from the RA&HS or Event Organiser.

14 minutes ago, jean-francois.me said:

this is from the condition of entry:

5) The photos/recordings are not to be sold for commercial gain

Jean thankyou. That's very eye opening. I have not seen these conditions of entry relating to photography before. That really sucks that we cannot submit any photos taken there for stock. There are so many photographic opportunities at this event - endless opportunities. Though interestingly, I have seen a number of photos taken at the Royal Adelaide Show on stock sites, including SS. Obviously, the contributors have no idea that they're breaking one of the conditions of entry.