Jump to content

Image not approved due to similar content


Recommended Posts

Hi, I am Thomas Foo.  New to Shutterstock.  Glad to be part of the big family.
I have a question.  Recently I submitted 2 similar images for review but only one was approved. Reason being they are similar.  Fine with me.  I agree.
But what puzzled me most was that I discovered a contributor who has extremely similar images, in fact hundreds of them, being approved.  Like spam.  See image attached.
It makes me wonder what is the criteria for similar images? Thank you.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Thomas Foo
"one" missing
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2019 at 4:39 AM, Thomas Foo said:

Hi, I am Thomas Foo.  New to Shutterstock.  Glad to be part of the big family.
I have a question.  Recently I submitted 2 similar images for review but only one was approved. Reason being they are similar.  Fine with me.  I agree.
But what puzzled me most was that I discovered a contributor who has extremely similar images, in fact hundreds of them, being approved.  Like spam.  See image attached.
It makes me wonder what is the criteria for similar images? Thank you.

Capture.JPG

Hi Thomas. I am not sure myself! I usually post unique, one if a kind photos, but tried 3 "variations" on one theme lately (twice) and 2 out of the 3 were rejected for the very reason you quoted above (too similar). When in fact there are subtle differences between the 3 in my view. So ss arbitrarily picked and approved one of the 3 (not even the better one I might add) and rejected the the other two. This is not going to help your case of course, only confirms that perhaps just about now they are toughening on the approach to "similars" and throwing out the baby with the bath.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thomas Foo said:

Thank you Istvan for the info.  At least it is good to know that SS is doing something to curb spamming, Unfortunately innocent people, like you and me, are being affected.

 

I know. Doesn't feel good to get rejections, no matter what! Unfortunately yesterday (after some 5 days wait for approval) out of 10 submitted photos (AI did this, I am pretty positive!) rejected 9!! Never happened to me before. It's pretty humiliating actually. I am screaming mad about it. They are perfectly o.k. photos. Getty and DT accepted them easily. And ss comes up with the most bogus and lame excuses, like "the main subject in this photo is not in focus...." Etc. AI's mother is not in focus! Sorry! Apparently I am still mad : ). I could get them approved if I really wanted to spend the extra energy and resubmit and start my description with "SELECTIVE FOCUS". But I am done submitting to this idiot system. I don't need the aggrevation for an occasional 25 cents subs sale. I rather upload to Getty. They accept 99% of my photos without this bl...dy hassle that ss is giving me. Good luck to you Thomas with your future uploads! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly Shutterstock's reviewers don't all review images according to the same standards. It can be very frustrating when you try to submit 2 similar, but not same, images and they get rejected, but you see other people with 50 almost identical images in their portfolio.
I once tried to submit a variation of a seamless pattern. The elements were the same I used on a different pattern, but they were arranged differently and the colors were different - got rejected for being too similar, yet I could find countless examples where people had submittd the exact same pattern just with color variations 20 times and I can't even get 2 approved.
I would not mind strict rules, but I would really appreciate it if these rules would apply to everyone.

The example you picked out is by far not one of the worse as the poses are at least different in every image, so they are technically different images. But I have seen people submit the exact same image in 20 different colors and get it approved. There was even once a thread where people would point out profiles that had hundrets of almost identical photos in their port, like the same tree photographed from the exact same position a 100 times for example (I am sadly not exaggerating!), but apparently it is not allowed to point out other contributor's profiles for rule breakings, so the thread either died or was removed and, as far as I know, nothing was done about this.

Shutterstock just announced that they will from now on be even strictre with similars, so it can be understandable that now you might not get similars approved, while other people did in the past. Though, as said, I had this problem in the past already.

Maybe this is just bad luck, but I too had very strange rejections today. Part of my vectors were rejected because apparently shutterstock could not automatically generate the preview image with the correct colors (how is that my fault?!) and the rejection reason said I should change my color settings. However, I use the exact same settings since I joined Shutterstock and since the auto-generated previews were introduced without problems and also part of the vectors (with the exact same settings) were approved. Once again, seems rather random...? As said, not sure it's just bad luck or reviewers are going on a riot....

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Firn said:



Shutterstock just announced that they will from now on be even strictre with similars, so it can be understandable that now you might not get similars approved, while other people did in the past. Though, as said, I had this problem in the past already.
 

the announcement states Starting next week, so that should not have affected this case 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Istvan Balogh said:

I know. Doesn't feel good to get rejections, no matter what! Unfortunately yesterday (after some 5 days wait for approval) out of 10 submitted photos (AI did this, I am pretty positive!) rejected 9!! Never happened to me before. It's pretty humiliating actually. I am screaming mad about it. They are perfectly o.k. photos. Getty and DT accepted them easily. And ss comes up with the most bogus and lame excuses, like "the main subject in this photo is not in focus...." Etc. AI's mother is not in focus! Sorry! Apparently I am still mad : ). I could get them approved if I really wanted to spend the extra energy and resubmit and start my description with "SELECTIVE FOCUS". But I am done submitting to this idiot system. I don't need the aggrevation for an occasional 25 cents subs sale. I rather upload to Getty. They accept 99% of my photos without this bl...dy hassle that ss is giving me. Good luck to you Thomas with your future uploads! 

I find it rather strange that SS could reject 90% of a seasoned and experienced contributor due to Out Of Focus.  Something not right?

 .

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am pretty sure that, while the policy only goes into action officially next week, they are already enforcing it "unofficially" - I got two images rejected for being too similar in the past two days and that's exactly the number of rejections I got for that reason in the past half year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Firn said:

I am pretty sure that, while the policy only goes into action officially next week, they are already enforcing it "unofficially" - I got two images rejected for being too similar in the past two days and that's exactly the number of rejections I got for that reason in the past half year.

same here.  Actually got on for too similar to an image 6 months ago.  still not sure why give a start date, since they are obviously already doing it (and always should have been).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mandritoiu said:

Companies usually run tests and trials before implementing important changes. The OP could have very well been part of such pre-launch trials.

and they usually announce such, especially for something that was introduced as a restriction. fact that they gave a one week notice to something that seems to restrict for some seems misleading if you already block them.  note i never understood why it wasn't immediate

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...