Hello I am new to Shutterstock and really just getting started in photography in a serious manner.  I live in Central Virginia, and am semi retired.  My question:  Is there a way to see if your approved uploads are being viewed?  It would be a great help to have this type of statistical information.  Perhaps I have overlooked this option and hope someone can help me out.

Thanks for your help.

5 minutes ago, D O-P Photography said:

Not as far as I know. A.....y I believe has that function but I don't think it's on Sstock. Yep would be helpful. All the best. Hope you enjoy your stock photography journey. 

Thanks for the feedback.  However, being new I am not familiar with A.....Y?  Thank you again.

9 hours ago, D O-P Photography said:

Ah it's another stock company but I believe it's 'illegal' to mention it's full name here. Hence the dots. It's a site that only accepts DSLR photo. UK based.

The last admin said they didn't care as long as you don't trash the other agencies.

DreamsTime has number of views. I haven't noticed the view numbers on Alamy. I never really pay attention to image views anyway. I'm more concerned about number of downloads.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 12:33 AM, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

The last admin said they didn't care as long as you don't trash the other agencies.

DreamsTime has number of views. I haven't noticed the view numbers on Alamy. I never really pay attention to image views anyway. I'm more concerned about number of downloads.

Number of views mean absolutely nothing. Even less than nothing. On the above mentioned DT it used to be easy to see how many views a photo received (now it's a bit more work to get the same info but still possible) and with 20 or 30 views I got not a single download! On another site where you have to "calculate" the ratio of downloads/views based on delayed statistics I get around 24 to 28% sales of viewed files. And often times files are just downloaded (on the fly so to speak) without much actual previous views. What does it tell me? I don't really know! That a photo may look o.k. in a tiny thumnail size but after closer examination only 25% buyers find it usable? Or in some rare cases a photo may get many views but not a single download. In which case I personally rather delete it than waste anybody's time of even 2 seconds to "waste" cuz obviously after so many idle views something is "not good" about that pic. 

On 7/29/2019 at 1:33 AM, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

actually the image view at Alamy is valuable as it will highlight if some keywords puts you in irrelevant searches and hurt your rating.  

in fact, in a world where SS is concerned with customer experience, you would think having incentives to contributor to only be in searches when they are relevant would be one. 

Alamys system is good for preventing similars and keyword spams..

If your image keeps getting displayed in a search and never clicked on (similars or irrelevant keywords) it WILL hurt your ranking and affect sales overall for you.

Realistically though that system is totally different to everyone else.  Theres no way to introduce that type of system here or elsewhere as asking tens of thousands of people to edit tens of thousands of images is simply not practical.

The way compound keywords are split up here also increases the chance of accidentally appearing in irrelevant search results.

1 hour ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

Alamys system is good for preventing similars and keyword spams..

If your image keeps getting displayed in a search and never clicked on (similars or irrelevant keywords) it WILL hurt your ranking and affect sales overall for you.

Realistically though that system is totally different to everyone else.  Theres no way to introduce that type of system here or elsewhere as asking tens of thousands of people to edit tens of thousands of images is simply not practical.

The way compound keywords are split up here also increases the chance of accidentally appearing in irrelevant search results.

compound keyword is also a problem at Alamy.  had "train" and "blue sky" hit "blue train" search.

and "small town " and  "cape dutch architecture " hit " Cape Town " search.   

i agree with rest, but KW spamming has to be stopped somehow 

On 7/28/2019 at 3:18 PM, DShockley said:

Hello I am new to Shutterstock and really just getting started in photography in a serious manner.  I live in Central Virginia, and am semi retired.  My question:  Is there a way to see if your approved uploads are being viewed?  It would be a great help to have this type of statistical information.  Perhaps I have overlooked this option and hope someone can help me out.

Thanks for your help.

numbers of views doesnt help. on another website i have more than 700 views on 1 image and no sales so far

That still doesnt mean the keywords are totally correct, don't contain necessarily vague or generic terms and so on.  

Also depends what the other agency classes as a "view".  In Alamy it simply means it appeared on the search screen.  If its appearing there a lot and not zoomed or bought its likely keywords.

Generally an image thats seen a lot but isnt selling has an issue, possibly with the image, possibly with metadata but theres a reason for it.