Hello everybody,

I am a painter and I would like to upload photos of my own (made by me) art - oil and aqua paintings, graphics. Should I attach a permission to each photo (for commercial use)? It seems a bid ridiculous to sign a permission for yourself...

Another question: If I upload, ex., a portrait in oil or graphics should I attach a permission from the model (the person featured on the portrait).

I would appreciate a clarification regarding these questions.

On 7/26/2019 at 9:29 AM, Look_into_the _sky said:

Hello everybody,

I am a painter and I would like to upload photos of my own (made by me) art - oil and aqua paintings, graphics. Should I attach a permission to each photo (for commercial use)? It seems a bid ridiculous to sign a permission for yourself...

Another question: If I upload, ex., a portrait in oil or graphics should I attach a permission from the model (the person featured on the portrait).

Hi there,

Unfortunately you do need to upload the permission form with the picture of your artwork.(see the link from SariMe)

A whole batch I uploaded was refused because it did not attach the form, so it’s better to be safe than sorry 😉 

I did struggle with getting the picture in the digital form, so in the end I printed the filled out form and pasted the picture in there. Then scanned the form with the picture and uploaded it.. There might be an easier way though 🤣

On 7/26/2019 at 8:29 AM, Look_into_the _sky said:

Hello everybody,

Read the link SariMe gave. 
But yes, you need a property release for your own work. You fill in the details for you as the property owner and you as the photographer,  get someone else to witness it.
You can add up to 6 images on one property release form. For the description of the artwork I write "Artwork by Linda Bestwick as illustrated opposite". I use the photos of the artwork I am submitting as thumbnails on the release. 
If you paint a real person then yes, you also need a model release. 
If you use another image, for example copying from a photo, then you need to upload the 'reference image' as well. You just upload the image in the property release field, they will know what it's for. This is to say you own the copyright to the image you have been using as a reference. You can not use other peoples images as reference images, you must own the copyright.

https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/000009307?q=reference+image&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Hope that helps.