Hey everyone! 

Thought I'd better intro myself... before I go too mental with the SS newbie questions 😊

My name is Hope and I'm from Perth Australia. 

I am a former graphic designer and always wanted to shoot for iStock, based on how much I purchased from them on behalf of clients.

I ended up selling my business when I had my first son, and started to shoot for iStock. I was doing pretty good, but going exclusive was a big mistake as my income dropped substantially. Eeep. I felt quite disheartened and had a break for about 2 years (and had another little boy).

I have now dropped exclusivity and plan to upload my stuff to the other big sites... So here I am at Shutterstock. 

I must say, I really love how the submission approvals are done so quickly at shutter! 

So back into the stock mode... 
Well as much as I can be with a 2 and 5 year old underfoot :)

... what about you guys? 
been doing stock long? 
what do you love about it? 
anyone else from Aus?
Or trying to get the stock images on with young kids at home? hahaha

Hope 

Welcome to Shutterstock. I have been here for about 12 years. I have to say that things are not like they used to be. The stock business has changed from when I got here and to me that effects the income that can be made. Now there are so many images in stock databases that it dilutes the chances for sales. Good solid images of subjects that have good commercial interest will always do well but just not at the level they used to.

It takes dedication to do well. Continuing to submit good quality images that have good commercial value and that have been keyworded properly will always to me be good advice. You have a great opportunity with your new child. Images of children and family life have always been good sellers.

For me I am not doing stock as much as I did. The dissatisfaction with the industry as well as two grandchildren to watch everyday has cut into my time to produce images.

My best advice to you is to try to stay current with the stock industry, do shots that deal with specific subjects such as holidays, school, seasons etc early. Get them in a couple of months in advance of the subject matter. Follow the principles of photography such as composition, focus, depth of field, lighting, exposure etc to make sure you are creating good solid images. Like I have always said, Create images, don't just take pictures.

Good luck to you and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Hello, mate!

Been doing stock since March 2016.

What I love is the creative freedom, shoot what you want when you want, whenever the light, the subject and the mood strike.

From Pompano Beach, Florida, USA here.

No kids at home for me!  I've stayed out of the ladies all these years.  I have nieces and nephews, I love them...and I'm glad they're my siblings'!

11 hours ago, David P. Smith said:

Welcome to Shutterstock. I have been here for about 12 years. I have to say that things are not like they used to be. The stock business has changed from when I got here and to me that effects the income that can be made. Now there are so many images in stock databases that it dilutes the chances for sales. Good solid images of subjects that have good commercial interest will always do well but just not at the level they used to.

It takes dedication to do well. Continuing to submit good quality images that have good commercial value and that have been keyworded properly will always to me be good advice. You have a great opportunity with your new child. Images of children and family life have always been good sellers.

For me I am not doing stock as much as I did. The dissatisfaction with the industry as well as two grandchildren to watch everyday has cut into my time to produce images.

My best advice to you is to try to stay current with the stock industry, do shots that deal with specific subjects such as holidays, school, seasons etc early. Get them in a couple of months in advance of the subject matter. Follow the principles of photography such as composition, focus, depth of field, lighting, exposure etc to make sure you are creating good solid images. Like I have always said, Create images, don't just take pictures.

Good luck to you and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Hey David, I'm sorry to hear about the industry doing this. I had realised it had shifted towards subs right as I was signing up to contribute. Bit of an adjustment for me even as a newbie as I had purchased stock for many, many years. I can't imagine how illustrators may feel, designing one image over such a long time frame and for it now to be a sub download. Eep. Just have to make the best of it. Thank you for your advise, I love the idea of creating images rather than just taking pictures. Sound advice. :) PS. Nice port, I love the wildlife. What an experience that must have been. 

10 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Welcome Hope. Good to see another Aussie onboard! I'm in South Australia. Very wise of you to spread your wings and submit to a number of different agencies. That's what Ive been doing from the beginning.

Hey fellow Aussie, That's great. Though shall not put ones eggs in one basket! 
Like your port, very Australian, especially the Bali images! hehe ... Have you any experience uploading to AusStockPhotos ?

9 hours ago, Lost Mountain Studio said:

Welcome, you have a lovely positive port.

Thanks Lost Mountain :) I love your landscape and nature images. Quite serene and calming :)

8 hours ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

Hello, mate!

Been doing stock since March 2016.

What I love is the creative freedom, shoot what you want when you want, whenever the light, the subject and the mood strike.

From Pompano Beach, Florida, USA here.

No kids at home for me!  I've stayed out of the ladies all these years.  I have nieces and nephews, I love them...and I'm glad they're my siblings'!

Heyy Matey
I like the freedom too, no deadlines, clients, marketing etc. haha, yes my Bestie who has no kids of her own, loves ... visiting... my kids, terrors they are! 

9 minutes ago, Grossinger said:

Welcome to Shutterstock.
You have a beautiful port and should do really well.
I'm a newbie to stock in general and Shutterstock specifically.
I've been with Shutterstock since January 2019 and am having a ball.

Hey Grossinger, so your quite new too, we can be newbies together :) How is stock treating you so far?
Looks like you cover a lot of political sort of stuff? For editorial? Good stuff. 

1 hour ago, Independence_Project said:

Like your port, very Australian, especially the Bali images! hehe

Hey thanks! When I went to Bali, I was surprised that there wasn't a single bogan in sight!

1 hour ago, Independence_Project said:

Have you any experience uploading to AusStockPhotos ?

Oh I haven't heard of them! Are they new? I'll check them out.

Welcome, Hope.  I got into this almost 6 years ago after I left my job in Detroit (30 years in broadcast television news as a photographer, editor, and producer) to pursue a new career in 3D art and animation.  Didn't pan out: love 3D, hated school. Moved to the Tacoma, Washington area in 2014.  Spent 4 miserable years there, and am now living in Florida taking care of my elderly mother.  I do what I can for SS when I'm not running errands, cooking, and cleaning. 

I don't shoot stock.  I shoot what I love, for the most part, and if people love it, too, then they'll buy it.  My sales have been a bit of a roller coaster over the years, but I can't complain.  This July has been one of my better months so far.  :)

Good luck here.  I Hope you do well!  (See what I did there?)  :)

On 7/22/2019 at 1:47 PM, Phil Lowe said:

Welcome, Hope.  I got into this almost 6 years ago after I left my job in Detroit (30 years in broadcast television news as a photographer, editor, and producer) to pursue a new career in 3D art and animation.  Didn't pan out: love 3D, hated school. Moved to the Tacoma, Washington area in 2014.  Spent 4 miserable years there, and am now living in Florida taking care of my elderly mother.  I do what I can for SS when I'm not running errands, cooking, and cleaning. 

I don't shoot stock.  I shoot what I love, for the most part, and if people love it, too, then they'll buy it.  My sales have been a bit of a roller coaster over the years, but I can't complain.  This July has been one of my better months so far.  :)

Good luck here.  I Hope you do well!  (See what I did there?)  :)

I love the concept of shooting what you love. And also not being able to complain :) hehe

Do you contribute video also? 

On 7/23/2019 at 5:53 AM, Evgeniia Ozerkina said:

Welcome.

You have a good port. I understand how difficult it is to find time for a photo when you have a baby. My daughter is 13 months old🙂

Oh, I know, my youngest is 19 months. So yes! 
A stand desk in the living room works for editing/ submissions. :)

On 7/23/2019 at 12:00 PM, cpaulfell said:

Howzit Hope :D

It's awesome :D