Anna Shutterstock

The New Keyword Tool

Thanks to all of you who provided valuable feedback on our new keyword suggestion tool. The comments we collected from more than 30,000 contributors have helped us prioritize what improvements to focus on - and we’ll outline those below.

With these improvements, we’re confident that we are supporting contributors’ workflows, and that we can remove the older keyword suggestion tool that was located outside the Submit page. In the next few days, we’ll be removing the old page, and replacing links to it with a link to the new tool.

We’ve made the following improvements based on your feedback:

• Added a large Copy button to clarify that it’s easy to use the tool before you upload and to copy selected keywords for use outside Shutterstock
  • Expanded search results to show 150 image or video thumbnails
  • Added more keyword suggestions to choose from
  • Replaced the + icon with the text “Add all” to highlight that all the most relevant keywords can be added with a single click
  • Fixed spacing after the commas for ease of pasting into outside applications
  • You can hover on the thumbnail of your content to see it larger

In the future, we will also be adding reverse image and video lookup features. With this feature, we will compare your uploaded items with Shutterstock’s vast library to show you visually-similar search results. You won’t have to type in your search terms, and you’ll get even quicker access to suggested keywords. 

As always, please let us know if you have more ideas for how the tool could be further improved.

Thanks!

Does this mean that those of us who prefer to embed keywords in an image before we upload it will no longer be able to use the suggestion tool for that, because we can't access the tool until the image is already uploaded? If so, I think it's a step backwards.

7 hours ago, Jane McIlroy said:

Does this mean that those of us who prefer to embed keywords in an image before we upload it will no longer be able to use the suggestion tool for that, because we can't access the tool until the image is already uploaded? If so, I think it's a step backwards.

You can use the keyword suggestion tool quite independently from any images you might have pending. Just click "Keyword tool" type your search term, click on similar images. Select your keywords or "Add All" then you can select "copy keywords" from the ... menu then you can use your external tool to add metadata. So ... it's a step FORWARD :-)

@Kate Shutterstock sorry if I'm being a bit dim, but the link you gave describes using the keyword tool AFTER uploading images. I don't see any way of getting to the submit page without first uploading something.

At the moment, I can still access the keyword tool by clicking Portfolio>Keyword suggestions on the main contributor dashboard page, which is great and is the way I've been doing it since the tool was first introduced. If you remove that, I'll have to change the way I've been working for the last 13 years!

Hi there, since your update I've noticed that my keywords automatically revert to Alphabetical order. Even after changing and saving - if I leave the page and return or submit any images from the edit section, afterwards it reverts again... This is not a workable situation. Please take a look at that.

Hi @Jane McIlroy

In the next week or so, you'll be able to open the new tool by selecting "Keyword suggestions" from the "Portfolio" dropdown in the navigation bar at the top of any page.

In the meantime, here's what I do: 1. Click "not yet submitted" in the content summary no navigate to the Submit page; 2. Select the keyword tool icon at the upper right.

open-keyword-tool.png.1549ea77ee185f4b162abb939679d95a.png

Its awesome, and very helpful to find easily ranking keywords

On 6/2/2020 at 9:05 AM, SkyImages said:

who the fuck care abt you making improvement to keywording page, everyone has stopped uploading pix to make 10 cent

"everyone", let's see some statistics, please. I think you are very wrong about that.

And $.10 is the *minimum* payment, not the maximum, so your comment is somewhat misleading (besides extremely rude and off topic).

Have a nice day. :)