Horrible! Don't waste your time submitting photos to Shutterstock!

Bill, 

If you haven't been following the forum since you started in 2019, a lot has happened since then. 

1.  Shutterstock has instituted a new contributor payout structure which starts at 10 cents an image.  Many contributors have left and all are complaining.

2.  Shutterstock has admitted that they now are using Artificial Intelligence (AI) to do image reviews.  The review process is terrible.

3.  Shutterstock obviously doesn't really care if you or I quit.  They have made it quite clear that the bottom line and the stock price is their only real concern.

Sorry to be the bearer of all this bad news but I thought you needed to know.  If you don't expect to get rich doing photography but  your intent is to improve your photography skills, the forum could be a good place to learn.  While there is a lot of good information on the forum, I started a thread a while back that discusses basic photographic rules and techniques in one thread.  I think this might be a good place to start.  

While the title needs some work "Photo Examples of Good Rule and Technique Application, Help for the New Contributor", you might find it worth reading.  Currently, you can find it on the forum, the third page of "Contributor Experience".

Hopefully, you choose to stay but given the payout structure, leaving is something we all have or are still considering.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually, as a hobbyist myself, I am glad to get some rejections lately. It forces me to critically take another look at my photos that were rejected. I learn from it and avoid mistakes in the future.

Is there a reason why you bring the President of the United States into this forum? Stick to your Brexit and Royals - you have enough on your plate. Work on your photography to. 

As far back as I can remember, and I've been here since October, 2013, I don't recall anyone - newbie or veteran - telling others that everyone else should stop uploading because they got a bunch of r

Posted Images

On 4/3/2021 at 8:23 AM, BillCharlesW said:

Another message I got was Composition: Content has framing issues, the horizon line is not straight, and/or distracting elements are obstructing the main subject. 

Bill - I suggest you post some examples here. The composition thing I don’t understand, there are hundreds of thousands of bad composed images here ..! It could be interesting to see the image. 

Stay safe and keep uploading ..!

18 hours ago, Steve Bower said:

Bill, 

If you haven't been following the forum since you started in 2019, a lot has happened since then. 

1.  Shutterstock has instituted a new contributor payout structure which starts at 10 cents an image.  Many contributors have left and all are complaining.

2.  Shutterstock has admitted that they now are using Artificial Intelligence (AI) to do image reviews.  The review process is terrible.

3.  Shutterstock obviously doesn't really care if you or I quit.  They have made it quite clear that the bottom line and the stock price is their only real concern.

Sorry to be the bearer of all this bad news but I thought you needed to know.  If you don't expect to get rich doing photography but  your intent is to improve your photography skills, the forum could be a good place to learn.  While there is a lot of good information on the forum, I started a thread a while back that discusses basic photographic rules and techniques in one thread.  I think this might be a good place to start.  

While the title needs some work "Photo Examples of Good Rule and Technique Application, Help for the New Contributor", you might find it worth reading.  Currently, you can find it on the forum, the third page of "Contributor Experience".

Hopefully, you choose to stay but given the payout structure, leaving is something we all have or are still considering.

A good thread for anyone.

Focus/Noise rejections im now convinced are totally random.

Anything rejected with that has at least a 50% chance of getting accepted next time with no changes.

That said, what i do now it just export a 6MP version of the image from Lightroom and give SS that.

For a 10c sale they can have a 10c low resolution budget image.  I don't care enough to keep trying the full size.

All other agencies get the full size 20-45mpixel images.

Its quick enough to make a Lightroom 6mpixel preset and save into a "For SS" folder.  Quicker than resubmitting full size images twice to beat the AI.

20 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

Focus/Noise rejections im now convinced are totally random.

Anything rejected with that has at least a 50% chance of getting accepted next time with no changes.

That said, what i do now it just export a 6MP version of the image from Lightroom and give SS that.

For a 10c sale they can have a 10c low resolution budget image.  I don't care enough to keep trying the full size.

All other agencies get the full size 20-45mpixel images.

Its quick enough to make a Lightroom 6mpixel preset and save into a "For SS" folder.  Quicker than resubmitting full size images twice to beat the AI.

Wow only took 10 years and you finally adopted my attitude? 👍

I suppose the Review Bots convinced you. 🙂

I go through phases.

About 5(?) years ago i just submitted low res due to reviewing.

Then they started accepting everything so i stopped bothering as its more effort splitting between agencies.

Now i either submit full size twice or just shovel up low res crap to them.  At the moment the latter is faster.

It would be easier for me not to have to as I could just FTP stuff up in one go for everyone.

On a related note, i probably wont bother with 4k videos here (SS can get the 1080) due to the $10 free for all sub pricing.

3 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

I go through phases.

About 5(?) years ago i just submitted low res due to reviewing.

Then they started accepting everything so i stopped bothering as its more effort splitting between agencies.

Now i either submit full size twice or just shovel up low res crap to them.  At the moment the latter is faster.

It would be easier for me not to have to as I could just FTP stuff up in one go for everyone.

On a related note, i probably wont bother with 4k videos here (SS can get the 1080) due to the $10 free for all sub pricing.

Yeah just poking fun as usual. There are so many people who disagreed and said "don't downsize" you will lose sales. Of course an image that's not here can't make any sales, not even the minimums. I can't be bothered to upload, upload and upload, hoping  that something will eventually pass.

If size makes a difference, it's not here, but maybe other sites. OK make that for sure some other sites.

Not being mean spirited towards SS, but if that's what they want and it's their site and their review standards, that's what they will get. 5MP images. There's no reason to fight that and get upset, THEY make the rules and run the system.

I upload once, if it's rejected for one of those quality issues, I make it 4 or 5 or 6MP and upload again. It's usually accepted. I'm done worrying or being concerned.

tomato-macro-close-up-perfect-600w-19500