Hello ! My name is Rajesh. I am from India. I am uploading photos on shutterstock from last several months. I have uploaded about 650 images so far. This includes both editorial and commercial. There are also some video footage. You may be amazed to know that only four photos have been downloaded so far. For which shutterstock has deposited only one dollar in my account. I'm surprised, despite having such a big portfolio, just four downloads in the last 6 months. I am worried, whether or not I will reach the Threshold at this birth. Can someone guide me right? Is $ 0.17 value of commercial downloads? $0.17 only get? I have seen some videos that are loaded on shutterstock. He/She explains that they gets $ 50-60 per download, which is sometimes more than $100.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Yes, I’m amazed that you’ve even had downloads. This used to be a tough agency to be accepted and strict on QC...

483812E6-AA4C-40B4-B179-A4C93C25A2F7.png

Editorial. Not allowed to alter the images apart from minor changes 😕 

But still dude you need to go on utube and watch some videos on exposure. I'd guess you used a camera phone but if you didn't you can change your exposure settings to expose them so that they are much lighter and appealing.

12 minutes ago, Scorsby said:

you can change your exposure settings to expose them so that they are much lighter and appealing.

Of course you can do so, @Raj Bhaskar.

But even with the right exposure you shouldn't associate too high expectations with these photos. I suspect that the need for photos of Indian family celebrations is primarily limited to the celebrants. 
Try it with such photos:

https://www.shutterstock.com/de/search/indian+culture?image_type=photo

I think one of the problems you are having a problem with is understanding what stock photography is. It is something that will help sell or promote a product,concept or idea. In other words an advertisement. Now in order to sell more images you need to have something that people want to buy to help them sell something. To get this done the images need to be properly exposed, proper use of lighting, composed well, in proper focus and have that commercial value.

When I look at your images I get a feeling that you did not go out with these things in mind. It looks like many of your shots were taken when the sun was harsh which causes flat light and harsh shadows. Many are under exposed and the composition could use some work. What you are doing is basically just taking pictures instead of creating images.

As others have mentioned learn what good exposure is, know how to use the light properly, learn things regarding photographic composition. Don't think of stock photography as just a bunch of pictures because it is far from that.

Look online because there are tons of videos and articles that will help you learn about these things. Read books, magazines, take a class and so on. Also spread your types of shots out. There are thousands of different types of images you can be taking. Food, health, family, travel, home entertaining, going to school, product work, construction and so on.

Take some time and look at the portfolios of some of the people here on shutterstock. Look in magazines, billboards, travel brochures, greeting cards, the sides of trucks etc for examples of stock images. But first, learn the art of photography and simply how to create a good image. Good luck and if you have any questions please ask.

In still images, it seems one needs at least 50,000 commercially attractive images to see the kind of earnings one can live on, and by the time one got there, there'd be so much more competition, that number would have gone up to 500,000.  It's a losing zero sum gain.

So, for still images, in my experience, yes, I'm earning, but the $$ amount is so miniscule for the amount of time I put in, it wasn't worth it.  I've got 2,800 images in my port.  I was going to go for 5,000, but now, I figure what's the point.  There's a redundancy factor, where new images of the same subjects merely cancel out old images of the same subjects in sales.  I can only shoot the same subjects so many ways in so many kinds of light and I don't have the financial means to travel to new exotic locales.  It took 1,700 images to get me to the point where I was seeing consistent monthly income, albeit only in the double $$ digits and mostly $.33 ($.25 in your case) subs.  At 2,800 images now, I'm still seeing consistent monthly income, albeit only in the $$ digits and mostly $.33 subs.  About 10% of my port actually sells and they're almost entirely $.33 subs.  I'm never going to make a liveable income this way.

Maybe others are doing better with still image sales, based on quality and/or a commercially desireable niche they've found.

I've abandoned contributing still images at this point.  If I contribute at all, it's video from here on out.  A video clip has the potential to earn 20-30x or more per download than a still image, if it's commercially or editorially news-worthily desirable.  The way SS has been monkeying around with "incremental sources of revenue" like streaming, a video clip also has the potential to earn THE SAME as a still image.  We shall see.

One thing I noticed in your image port, at least on the first page, is there are a lot of night-time snapshot-style images of people captured with flash.  In addition to screaming "amateur", this is harsh, high-contrast lighting that is not pleasing to the eye.  This one's pretty good I think:

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/amritsar-punjabindiaoctober-12-2018-gilded-golden-1418609747

It would be even better if the golden building in the background were framed more to the right.

Look for cloudy skies, nice flat shade or golden hour sunlight.  Keep images bright.  Shutterstock and our customers like bright images.  A lot of your images are dark, in high-contrast light where the sky or sunny background are darkening the main subject in what looks like was clearly automatic exposure.  Use manual exposure or auto-exposure shift +1 f-stop if your camera offers it when you're in these high-contrast lighting situations.

There's certainly a lot of street life in India, vendors, pedestrians, musicians, religious worshippers, homeless people, etc. to capture that should sell very well as editorials all over the world. 

Also, in addition to normal composition, experiment with positioning the subject off-center and small, lower-left and lower-right in the frame, perhaps with a telephoto lens and shallow aperture to blur out the background.  This leaves room, negative space, for ad copy text that tells a story and sells something.

2 hours ago, geogif said:

Of course you can do so, @Raj Bhaskar.

But even with the right exposure you shouldn't associate too high expectations with these photos. I suspect that the need for photos of Indian family celebrations is primarily limited to the celebrants. 
Try it with such photos:

https://www.shutterstock.com/de/search/indian+culture?image_type=photo

3rd picture in made me chuckle. They do get about don't they lol.

On 7/4/2019 at 3:51 PM, Raj Bhaskar said:

Hello ! My name is Rajesh. I am from India. I am uploading photos on shutterstock from last several months. I have uploaded about 650 images so far. This includes both editorial and commercial. There are also some video footage. You may be amazed to know that only four photos have been downloaded so far. For which shutterstock has deposited only one dollar in my account. I'm surprised, despite having such a big portfolio, just four downloads in the last 6 months. I am worried, whether or not I will reach the Threshold at this birth. Can someone guide me right? Is $ 0.17 value of commercial downloads? $0.17 only get? I have seen some videos that are loaded on shutterstock. He/She explains that they gets $ 50-60 per download, which is sometimes more than $100.

Use analysis. You have sold 4 pictures from 144 images that are not editorial.
Forget about editorial for a while. At least sales should be more. Do not compare editorial in the US or Europe where the media often use pictures to describe events. Moreover, you are not shooting events, but everyday life.

For example, my photo is used for the project of the site "Faces of Victory".

Link to the site, on the main page there is a picture, you can zoom in and see thousands of portraits of participants in the war.  facesofvictory.com

But my photo editorial:

krasnoyarsk-russia-may-9-2019-600w-13928

George ribbon

@Raj Bhaskar The people here are being very polite and correct, my opinion of why you do not sell is not because of the small amount of your portfolio, but because of the poor quality of your images, both from a technical and artistic point of view. I recommend you, since you ask for advice, it is that you pause your pictures and dedicate several hours to look at portfolios of other photographers, not only stock, photographers in general. Then learn, through youtube, the basic concepts of photography, especially those related to composition and use of light, and then learn to select which photos are valid and which ones you should erase. As a guide, I would erase 90% of the photos you shoot, so you can see only the best.

Less is more.

Honest trust, im surprised you have even 1 download.

I'll be blunt about it:-

(i) most of your photos are editorial so sell far less than RF

(ii) You have countless similar photos from a specific event

(iii) They are very niche market events - traditions and customs most of the world doesnt have or have any interest in.  Theres no market.

(iv) The photos are badly exposed, badly lit.  Look almost like mobile phone snapshots from a family album.

(v) Lots of them are from years ago - editorial from 2011 of a birthday party for example is unlikely to be a best seller.  So again,theres no market.

(vi) Keywords are terrible.  A small number of generic keywords only and several utterly irrelevent ones.  "Camel" in a picture of a man with a beard etc.

Quite simply, uploading an entire SD cards worth of snapshots from family birthday parties or random relatives gardens as editorial isnt ever going to sell.

So constructive advice, think of potential market - flooding images of subjects nobody is interest in wont work.  Also understand the technicalities of making a correct photograph regarding composition, white balance, exposure and so on.

2 hours ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

Honest trust, im surprised you have even 1 download.

I'll be blunt about it:-

(i) most of your photos are editorial so sell far less than RF

(ii) You have countless similar photos from a specific event

(iii) They are very niche market events - traditions and customs most of the world doesnt have or have any interest in.  Theres no market.

(iv) The photos are badly exposed, badly lit.  Look almost like mobile phone snapshots from a family album.

(v) Lots of them are from years ago - editorial from 2011 of a birthday party for example is unlikely to be a best seller.  So again,theres no market.

(vi) Keywords are terrible.  A small number of generic keywords only and several utterly irrelevent ones.  "Camel" in a picture of a man with a beard etc.

Quite simply, uploading an entire SD cards worth of snapshots from family birthday parties or random relatives gardens as editorial isnt ever going to sell.

So constructive advice, think of potential market - flooding images of subjects nobody is interest in wont work.  Also understand the technicalities of making a correct photograph regarding composition, white balance, exposure and so on.

When you are ready let me know all you have to do is ask 😉

In regards to photography, you have a small port with a lot of photo's similar to many others.

Also, the quality is..... average. I'm surprised so many of your photo's were even accepted at all.

There are people making money off ss, but it's not easy and requires a lot of hard work and dedication.

35 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

I'm angry too 

angry girl.JPG

I’m a little perplexed. Shouldn’t this be a illustrative editorial, it looks posed. And what’s ‘isolated’ about it, and where is her ‘fist’ and ‘hands’. I think this kind of photo would be more likely sell as commercial if it had a model release and if it was a better photo.

Some of the other wedding photos, not the clearly posed snapshots, might sell if they were a bit brighter. Learning how to take photos and looking at decent photos of India on Shutterstock etc. might be something the OP wants to consider.