Phil Lowe

Sony A6500

Got the new camera today, along with the Ikelite housing for it.  The housing needed some assembly, so I didn't have a chance to get the new team in the water today.  Maybe this weekend.  Did manage to get some test shots done with the A6500.  Small but hefty little camera.  The Sony menus system still sucks, but I was pleased with the results I got from it.  These are pending as editorial.  I can't really say that shooting with the camera is "fun" - certainly no more or less "fun" than shooting with my Canon or Nikon DSLRs.  But for travel?  Yeah - this will do the job.  :)

20190606-DSC00009.thumb.jpg.caa198b9c3d455e9e8dbf0bb6d7dd9d6.jpg

20190606-DSC00012.thumb.jpg.cbcaf957be5ba91591b4a47d1d76a425.jpg

20190606-DSC00013.thumb.jpg.b67438fd999a4ab803b66fd2268ffaba.jpg

20190606-DSC00016.thumb.jpg.2815006a1e4a5ee15ca9838421a7cb9f.jpg

2 hours ago, Phil Lowe said:

Got the new camera today

I would love it if you gave the Sigma a run. You could get the DP2 Merrill, they're cheap but getting harder to find. The detail you would have captured on the statues would incredible. Its a one trick pony camera but boy it pushes out an incredible image in the right lighting and base ISO.

2 hours ago, urbazon said:

That camera is a beast in a deceptively small body! :)

I couldn't believe how heavy it is compared to the A6000!  

All those photos were taken with the Sony 18-135 at ISO 500. 

2 hours ago, Brady Barrineau said:
4 hours ago, Phil Lowe said:

Got the new camera today

I would love it if you gave the Sigma a run.

I have 6 cameras now across 3 companies, not counting my Canon XF300, which is my dedicated HD video camera.  I'm not sure I could handle another one right now, but having seen how sharp your results are with it,. I have no doubt it is an excellent system!  

1 hour ago, cpaulfell said:

looking forward to seeing the video 👍

It's probably a good thing I couldn't get in the water yesterday.  I'm waiting for the vacuum pump and gauge to get here, and that will let me dry test the housing for leaks.  When that camera is inside, the whole unit weighs about 6 pounds, and that's without an underwater flash.  Since it will be a couple of pounds negatively bouyant underwater, I'll need to get a lanyard for it.  Don't want to drop it in really deep water!  😬

Being negatively bouyant will certainly help with stability, and the IBIS should help, too.  Can't wait!

16 minutes ago, 1000 Words Images said:

Great. Thanks Phil.

How do you feel about the battery life? Is it decent?

Thanks.

Taking the advice of the guys at Ikelite, I have set power down sleep timer for 10 seconds.  Half pressing the shutter button will awaken the camera instantly, but they tell me the sleep mode won't use power (or if so, very little).  Still, For how little I used the camera to shoot what I did, the battery went from 100% to 71%.  I have 4 batteries now.  Having 4 more delivered today. It is a battery hog.

5 hours ago, KeremGogus said:

I hear only good things about A6500... I hope you enjoy it very much ^_^

So far, so good.  Battery chargers are working overtime, though!  😕

Got the camera yesterday and started shooting with it.  Here are a couple of the shots already approved with it:

image.thumb.jpeg.815c8f4a17b41ccd6e9719bd64acdd93.jpeg

stock-photo-june-inverness-fl-a-haunting

Getting in the water for 4K work will be the real test.  :)

Got the Sigma MC-11 mount converter today, to mount my Canon, Tamron, and Sigma EF lenses onto my Sony A6000/A6500 cameras.  As soon as I got the MC-11, I updated its firmware per people who've used it for some time.  The MC-11 is only designated to work with certain Sigma lenses on Sony bodies, but I tested it with my Sigma 24-105 Art, Tamron 24-70 f/2.8, Canon 16-35 f/4, Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, Canon EF100-400 II, and Tamron 90mm macro.  It worked best with the Sigma 24-105, as expected, but it also worked with all these other lenses, which was surprising.  Putting the large Sigma 24-105, EF100-400 II, or even the smaller EF16-35 caused the camera to look like this:

78070-flight_b.jpg

Hand-holding the 100-400 was difficult, and the AF performance was very slow at 400mm.  Clearly a case where keeping the 100-400 on the 5D4 is a far better combination. 

But, unlike every other adapter I've tried in the past on the A6000, this one actually did autofocus, even with brands it was not specifically designed for.  

I haven't tried it on the A6500 yet, as that is locked up in my housing waiting for the weather to clear and my mom to recover from heart surgery.  I expect the performance will be at least as good on the newer Sony body, if not a bit better.

If I were going to use any EF lens full time on the A6000, it would probably be the 16-35 f/4.  It's a great lens, very sharp, and is easily the most comfortable to hand hold on the A6000 body.  At $149 USD, the MC-11 is certainly far cheaper than any native Sony lens, and will let me use my Sony bodies as backups to my 5D4. 

Just tried the A6000 with the Sigma 150-600 Sports on the MC-11.  I didn't even get to the point of actually shooting the camera and lens combination, simply mounting it on one my gimbal heads was an epic fail.  There is so little mass from the camera to offset the weight of the lens, that the unit could not be balanced on the gimbal head given the Arca Swiss mounting plates I currently own.  I would need a new Arca Swiss plate at least twice as long as the 140mm plate I have now. 

PHI_8909.thumb.JPG.55c157593aaa7fdc4015bb079bae9193.JPG

PHI_8911.thumb.JPG.cfcf8396baca28b6f0adce9e80de4aba.JPG

PHI_8916.thumb.JPG.fbf60eecb6a97b54c55db9d755bed4b9.JPG

So, I will be using the A6000/6500 with much shorter, lighter Canon lenses.  Doesn't break my heart: the Sigma and Canon L glass I have is much sharper than either of the native Sony lenses I'm currently using. :)

Although for sheer badassery, the lens looks like a telescope with that body on it!  :D

Have a 200mm (almost 8") Arca Swiss plate coming in tomorrow.  Will try the Sigma 150-600S on the A6500 to see how it works balancing on the gimbal head.

200mm Arca Swiss plate did the trick.  This is the A6000 mounted to the Sigma 150-600 Sports lens.  Still waiting to get in the water with my A6500 as this is, apparently, the rainy season in Florida, complete with frequent thunderstorms.

To get this thing balanced properly with the A6000, look how far off the mounting bracket the lens's tripod foot is!  :)

IMG_20190615_215818603.thumb.jpg.d0694d48bc99fe5a996f55f16a3dae8f.jpg

58 minutes ago, Leonard Whistler said:

Why use the Sony on the Sigma lens instead of the Canon?

Crop factor, faster burst rate, lighter to carry on sticks, no AA filter (potentially sharper images).  Supposedly better AF system, but that remains to be seen, 4K with minimal crop, and HD at 120fps. 

Found out a really nasty issue with the A6500: the LCD screen dims to a practically unviewable level when shooting 4K or HD at 120p. Apparently, the EVF is not affected, but it almost makes the LCD unusable for shooting high-end video.  Still, I was able to get 5 clips shot and uploaded on Monday, and with more practice, my keeper rate will increase.

I'm shooting in S-Log 2, so I'm grading everything.  So far I'm pleased with the video this little camera puts out.  Very clean.  Will post the clips if and once approved. 

And here are some of the clips shot with this camera on Monday of this week...

stock-footage-close-up-shot-of-small-fre

stock-footage-close-up-shot-of-dozens-of

stock-footage-wide-shot-of-small-freshwa

I found that when I'm zoomed into 50mm with this camera, it's best to perform a single-shot focus on a specific point where the fish are schooling, fix the camera on that spot, and let the fish swim through the frame (first and second clips).  It would be impossible for any AF system to keep up with these small speedsters.

On the much wider, 16mm shots, using continuous AF was fine, as the DOF was so wide focus wasn't an issue.

These fish must migrate, as I didn't see this type of fish in the winter here, while there were hundreds of Mangrove Snappers in this same area.  It's June, and and the snappers are gone but these fish have shown up in huge numbers.  I love solo diving for this stuff because I don't have to divide my attention between the scenery and a dive buddy.  :)

That camera is very stunning to capture pics. I love it all defense pics.☺️ 

8 hours ago, Kalpesh30 said:

That camera is very stunning to capture pics.

I agree.  :)

My latest capture with it:

stock-photo-macro-shot-of-a-small-uniden

On 7/27/2019 at 2:12 AM, Phil Lowe said:

I agree.  :)

My latest capture with it:

Could you please share the details of capture camera.

On 7/27/2019 at 2:12 AM, Phil Lowe said:

stock-photo-macro-shot-of-a-small-uniden