Sign in to follow this  
njene

Oh boy... look at this

This concerned me a little, what does it mean in practical terms? Is this going to be in our favor? 

Ability to resell Shutterstock images in-app

With a self-serve Standard API subscription, you can resell images directly within your application. This means that you have the option to pass the cost per license to your users, or create a new revenue stream by adding a markup to the cost per license you pay to Shutterstock.

The Shutterstock Standard API plans provide access to in-application asset resell capabilities through an entirely user-driven signup and integration experience. This transparent and straightforward process enables developers to create functional applications and recognize revenue in less time.

Well it's for the buyers, so probably makes no difference to us. But it would be nice if SS explained it and exactly what does resell mean, buyers can resell our assets?

Since it is API, it likely is a means for another service to show our images and let their customers buy them. Potentially more customers, but less chance on an extended license.

Hey more eyes, maybe.

Or a method to create an app to show our own photos. Heck, it means we could now host our own websites and sell using Shutterstock's infrastructure in case it is more cost effective.

Almost always API ends up with lower commissions to contributors, since the sale is split 3 ways instead of 2.

That is just personal observation, but of course there is no official word about this from SS yet.

i guess we will be getting the old “Exciting, Good News...” email

They are only re-selling 1 million images.  I assume mine aren't included since I have not given up my image copyrights.

5 minutes ago, Reimar said:

They are only re-selling 1 million images.  I assume mine aren't included since I have not given up my image copyrights.

Quote from what they’re offering under “Business Plan”

Business API plans provide access to the entire Shutterstock library of over 250 million images, video clips, and music tracks.

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/shutterstock-api-self-serve

I'm not a lawyer, but if SS decides to re-distribute through other stock agents - fine.  But letting BUYERS re-sell licensed images seems to go against copyright and how I thought stock works.  How could that be possible?

8 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I'm not a lawyer, but if SS decides to re-distribute through other stock agents - fine.  But letting BUYERS re-sell licensed images seems to go against copyright and how I thought stock works.  How could that be possible?

https://www.stockphotosecrets.com/buyers-guide/can-i-resell-my-bought-stock-photos.html

But if they change our T&C''s then I'm not sure.

Well I guess it's something like a customer buying an image and then reselling the image as a postcard which probably means they would have to buy an EL from SS.

well I think this would be something like an affiliate agency who would have to buy, I would imagine, a quit large EL to sell our images. Only thing is do they purchase a one time EL to sell all SS images or is the result based on what they sell. If it's the 1st how would this effect ALL contributors as we don't know which of our images are being sold or do they distribute the one really large EL over ALL contributors, I don't think so.

The wording looks like SS sell the El and the purchaser is able to pass that cost onto their customers by selling the El on + a mark up on what they paid. Which means percentage for us at initial sale point ... repeat sales for SS. I mean that's only guessing because it isn't clear what the procedure will be. But it means once the image is out there under El we won't see a repeat percentage. Sorry ... it's implied. And yet we now copywrite. So not sure 😕

looks to me like, reseller buys EL from SS for $xxx, which gives them the right to resell the image a limited number of times. reseller then can then resell the image singularly (or as smaller EL volume) to its customers...  ignore the numbers, but something like this:

SS sell EL for $100, and the reseller has licence to sell 100 of the images. Contributor gets paid commission on the $100 EL.  Reseller sells the image 100 time at $1.50, thus making $0.50 per sale themselves.  

Hi folks! We see there are a lot of questions being sparked by this topic. We are working on putting together an article in our support center that will address them, so please hold on. I'll post a link here as soon as it's ready. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Anna Shutterstock said:

Hi folks! We see there are a lot of questions being sparked by this topic. We are working on putting together an article in our support center that will address them, so please hold on. I'll post a link here as soon as it's ready. Thanks!

Thank you Anna for being so quick. 

6 hours ago, Anna Shutterstock said:

I just have a couple of other questions that maybe we can get addressed for future consideration:

Why are we having to find out about these iniatives via investor reports and not via the announcement forum here?  If it affects us, shouldn't concurrent announcements be made to investors and contributors?  Why are we seemingly always having to find out about things that could affect us only when someone digs it up and posts it here?

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Anna Shutterstock said:

Sure we'll Hold On But SS should Hold On and explain this before Doing anything....Seriously

13 hours ago, Fer Gregory said:

. This means that you have the option to pass the cost per license to your users, or create a new revenue stream by adding a markup to the cost per license you pay to Shutterstock.

If creating a new revenue stream by adding a mark up to the cost per license statement is correct it implies that:

SS seems to be making a move to become a wholesaler not a retailer. Right now anyone can buy a license from SS like a normal shop front. If allowing that license to be sold on with a mark up on the cost why wouldn't people avoid the marked up license and get the cheaper one direct from SS. Unless they will no longer be able to do that 😕 

To buy from a wholesaler you have to have a trade account. But you also have to conform to their minimum order which is usually quite a bulk buy.

12 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

Sure we'll Hold On But SS should Hold On and explain this before Doing anything....Seriously

+1000

The Shutterstock API is a program that has existed for a number of years and has proved to be a successful avenue for additional earnings sources for our contributors. Our Partner and Sales teams work on developing new partnerships all the time, so we do not announce these developments to contributors, as it is a constant and on-going process.

In response to all the questions that were raised in this thread, we created this article on our Support Center. Please take a look and feel free to contact us if you have additional questions. 

Thanks!