We’re Updating How You Upload Vectors

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, thanks for the change - Yet another thing that takes time away from actually creating and just stifles the creative process. I've just spent the last 45 minutes saving, uploading, resizing, mess

this article is soo helpful to smaller the size of my vector file. You guys have to check it out https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/Best-Practice-Recommendations-f

Hello! I have warning in my contributor account: Your vector was saved with the “Use Artboards” setting. Starting on 04/20/2020, you will no longer be able to use this setting when uploading vect

Posted Images

On 5/10/2019 at 12:07 AM, Jeff said:

The megapixel requirement is necessary for proper rasterization quality

Jeff, explain to us, please. For the sake of one small "plus" the generation of automatic JPG: the authors get a bunch of extra action, customers get unnecessarily large files, you do not get a quality trend content.
It's worth it?

2 hours ago, Uniyok said:

Jeff, explain to us, please. For the sake of one small "plus" the generation of automatic JPG: the authors get a bunch of extra action, customers get unnecessarily large files, you do not get a quality trend content.
It's worth it?

Even this only plus for the authors does not make sense. Authors will still create a preview file for other stock sites. It turns out that there are no pluses, only minuses.

18 hours ago, Feaspb said:

I see another chance, we can try to do this:
Here is Shutterstock owner  Jon Oringer on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/joringer
I wrote him a message about our situation last time. Of cause, one message was ignored, but it will be harder to ignore, if he'll have 20-50-100 messages.
We can draw his attention to the fact that the authors are against innovations and why we are against it.
He does not read this topic exactly, but there is a chance, that least one of the large flow of messages he can view.

----------

Here is the text of my message. Use it if you need, change it and do not forget to insert YOUR name at the end :-)

-----------

Hello Jon!
This message is about new rules for vector on Shutterstock and disastrous consequences that'll follow.

New rules are:

- At least 4MP with a new maximum 100MB size.
- A JPG will automatically be created for vectors.
- Need to enter metadata manually for each EPS file

1) The realistic mesh, light effects and other complex works, which are so popular now, cannot be adapted to the new conditions, because they will be hundreds of MB.
According to the new rules, will be impossible to upload any image with complex effects and realistic meshes.

2) A lot fo customers, working on weak computersjust can't work with huge files. But those customers can go to competitors and buy the same and small files, for example from Adobe.

3) The refusal of the JPG preview will entail a huge waste of time on manually keying for the each EPS file. It breaks all the workflow. So we will have to keying for hours instead of creating new content.

4) Internet traffic still matters in many countries  and some of our customers simply will not be able to charge new huge vectors and they’ll go to competitors.

5) Such large files will take up a lot of space both on sellers and buyers.

I want to emphasize that sold on Shutterstok vector content is also sold on other sites and the introduction of new rules gives Shutterstock competitors a huge advantage.

Here is a link to the petition, which was signed more than 1,700 authors of  Shuttertok vector graphics.
https://www.change.org/p/shutterstock-cancel-the-limitation-of-eps-files-to-4-megapixels-on-shutterstock

Links to the forum discussion :

https

Communicating on the Shutterstock forum and detailed explanations why the new rules are destructive for the sales of the Shutterstock Vector did not lead to anything, and so I appeal to you.
Jon, please pay attention to the situation.
Cancel these innovations, do not let fall apart to the cause that we, authors, love, and without a doubt  you love too.  
Hope for your understanding and support.

Sincerely
ENTER HERE YOUR NAME
Shutterstock vector artist

Thanks! 

8 hours ago, Uniyok said:

It's worth it?

We have twice slowed down the implementation of this strange idea, and now we all see:

SS don't give a damn. They don't give a f*** (Excuse my French)

Yupp. If someone over there had a look at an Ai manual in order to find out how to draw a couple of stars, I wouldn't call this "beta testing". 
This whole thing's ridiculous. Gonna look for *pros* to work with now instead of buying new hard drives to store this (literally) huge *mess* on. What a bad joke.
You're continuously letting us down. And as an "old timer" who once was featured in here and was personally invited to visit your NY headquarters, I have to say: This really hurts. You've entirely lost each and every contact to those who're actually the base you've built your business on - the artists. 
*done talking and minding my own business now*
Thanks for the good times.

15 minutes ago, AKaiser said:

Yupp. If someone over there had a look at an Ai manual in order to find out how to draw a couple of stars, I wouldn't call this "beta testing". 
This whole thing's ridiculous. Gonna look for *pros* to work with now instead of buying new hard drives to store this (literally) huge *mess* on. What a bad joke.

Primitive "Corel_Draw_style" stars in vector tutorials are the first sign of dumbness of the tips.

That's just sad.

You did it once without our opinion. You received a lot of angry comments. And you just pretended that you listen to us. You do it again the same way.

If there is no way to use old  EPS(any size+JPG) that means you want to break our business and yours. And that means that contributor never can trust the Shutterstock.
That's sad news.

Guys, I give priority to AdobeStock.

Over the past year it has grown +50%. Shuttrstock by +15%. Now it’s already 2:1 with me - Shutterstock vs Adobe - by the end of the year it can match. AdobeStock currently offers the best conditions for contributors. The acceptance of files is fast and qualified.

At Shutterstock, new is not sold immediately. Some files have already been made, and many new ones are not suitable under the new rules, Shutterstock does not want to accept them.

I put the first upload on AdobeStock, then the rest.

Thanks Support Team.

I'll soon stop uploading vectors to SS. Why all this hassle while there are numerous stock agencies who listen to contributors and make uploading much easier & useful! 

VectorStock, here I come! 

Many stock sites support vectors without converting text to outlines as they can be useful for buyers (especially in the case of vector templates).

With this change, there is no doubt that SS will face a sudden & huge decline in vector uploads! 

It 's bad news for all shutterstock contributor .

I don't understand what are shuttertock teams doing .

Many contributors against this improvements but you force to do it .

Shutterstock didn't hear us at all .

Do you know that the negative affect after improvement ? - Customers and Authors will diminish because they unhappy with " UNNECESSARY BIG FILE SIZE " , " CAN'T CREATE COMPLICATED VECTOR " .

Hear us please !!! 

This is very, very bad news !!!
4 megapixels for the vector will complicate the process of saving files, such large files are incredibly long loaded on the server, require a lot of space and time. Compared to this problem that awaits us all, the JPG preview is not a problem at all. Modern plug-ins have long allowed us to create 4 megapixel previews from very small vectors, and in good quality.

On 5/10/2019 at 3:46 AM, trezen said:

No it's not. If you can't write an algorithm that makes you 4MP Jpegs out of any sized vectors (like Illustrator does? Hello?) you should hire better programmers.

It just looks like you've bought/outsourced this feature and paid for it and don't know what to do now, so you have to implement it either way instead of rewriting the code.

Or maybe you could explain how does a vector size defines the raster quality? Please! If you do that I feel like a lot of people will think that makes sense and this whole thread will stop. I've been an illustrator for almost 9 years and this is the first time I'm hearing you need BIG vectors to make BIG jpegs.

The same thoughts right from the first update. Maybe someone will program for free this feature?)) or thousands of contributors will pay for $1 somebody who can? It will save us tons of time and (as results) money. 

I will be taking a stop and watch approach now. For the moment, I will not purposely create a special 4MP vector just to upload to SS. I have another 10 sites to upload, so yeah, I will stop uploading to see what happened next. Maybe SS will u-turn this decision in the next couple of months. I don't want to waste time and confuse my buyers with the sudden out of proportion large vector that are not standardized with my previous works.

2 hours ago, Leremy said:

I will be taking a stop and watch approach now. For the moment, I will not purposely create a special 4MP vector just to upload to SS. I have another 10 sites to upload, so yeah, I will stop uploading to see what happened next. Maybe SS will u-turn this decision in the next couple of months. I don't want to waste time and confuse my buyers with the sudden out of proportion large vector that are not standardized with my previous works.

I am not able to create 4MP EPS so will also take a step back from SS and focus on other sites for the time being. I'll  also cancel my subscription on principle and move to another site to source images.