We’re Updating How You Upload Vectors

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, thanks for the change - Yet another thing that takes time away from actually creating and just stifles the creative process. I've just spent the last 45 minutes saving, uploading, resizing, mess

this article is soo helpful to smaller the size of my vector file. You guys have to check it out https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/Best-Practice-Recommendations-f

Hello! I have warning in my contributor account: Your vector was saved with the “Use Artboards” setting. Starting on 04/20/2020, you will no longer be able to use this setting when uploading vect

Posted Images

There are three important features in vector format: scalability, editableness and small file size. Read it again: SMALL FILE SIZE. Light weight of the vector means quickly download, spends little traffic, it does not require a lot of space on the hard disk and gives comfort in work. Like a freelance illustrator, I know that buyers want a scalable, editable and light vector images more often than rasters. Why are you betting on useless and unpopular format that cannot be edited to fit various needs?

There are three important features in your business: competitive advantages, reputation and cool profits. Two first aspects of three you decided to send to hell. So be prepared to lose a profits soon. OK. That's smart. Applause.

4 minutes ago, oleskalashnik said:

There are three important features in vector format: scalability, editableness and small file size. Read it again: SMALL FILE SIZE. Light weight of the vector means quickly download, spends little traffic, it does not require a lot of space on the hard disk and gives comfort in work. Like a freelance illustrator, I know that buyers want a scalable, editable and light vector images more often than rasters. Why are you betting on useless and unpopular format that cannot be edited to fit various needs?

There are three important features in your business: competitive advantages, reputation and cool profits. Two first aspects of three you decided to send to hell. So be prepared to lose a profits soon. OK. That's smart. Applause.

❤ I fully support!

16 minutes ago, Lasteek said:

Automatic creation of a file preview does not make sense, since the authors themselves create a preview file for uploading to other stock sites.

I agree. The 4MP vector is hard to edit on my computer. Layers can be moved with a delay of several seconds. My computer is strong.

What kind of machines can customers work on?

Shutterstock, I understand that you might have your own reasons for doing this upgrade.

But, PLEASE, LEAVE THE OPPORTUNITY for those, who do very complicated files with meshes and blends (because you cannot simplify meshes, you know), to upload files the usual way.

This will only increase you workflow and will not bring damage to authors with highly-detailed and realistic vector illustrations. I really hope that you will make this step forward to us. And we will all live happily ever after :)

So it is the same thing that made everyone mad month ago, but now vectors can be up to 100mb. Nice. So now i should have 1gb of free space on my harddrive to make approximately 15 images for Shutterstock. Are you guys providing all of your contributors with free cloud storage or I missed something? 
I mean, guys? don't you see how crazy is this?   
And the most important question is - why? Is there any real reason to do this? We will need way more harddrive space and way better internet connection to make the job we are doing today. You will need more space to store it all. And customers will not gain ANYTHING from this update - it is vectors for gods sake.
Is there anyone who wins here (I mean exept from Adobe Stock😄) ?     

Shutterstock, I am confused.  I tested my latest vector batch with your new requirements. Unsurprisingly, EPS file sizes increased significantly up to 500-600 MB and NONE of those vectors passed max 100MB limitation.  With old rules all EPS files were around 25 MB. I would love to continue work with Shutterstock, but now I just don't know what to do. Basically, just got an impression, that you are not interested in my work anymore. 

Example.jpg

Sabers14mp.jpg

3 hours ago, Zhe Vasylieva said:

I guess I'll restrain myself from expressing my huge disappointment with the changes - as it doesn't seem to help in any way - and get straight to the point: if I import keywords and description into Illustrator 8 eps files via AdobeBridge, the eps files don't open in Illustrator afterwards (however, in your article you say this method works). Any new update to fix it? 😠

error.JPG

I guess, you have to move to EPS10.

I don't think SS has anyone who understand this situation, the one who decided that should be fired, it is killing SS business. BTW, they don't listen to us, whatever we said, SS won't care, we should do action instead of word now.

And, why don't we hear any BETA test about that?

9 hours ago, Feaspb said:

I see another chance, we can try to do this:
Here is Shutterstock owner  Jon Oringer on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/joringer
I wrote him a message about our situation last time. Of cause, one message was ignored, but it will be harder to ignore, if he'll have 20-50-100 messages.
We can draw his attention to the fact that the authors are against innovations and why we are against it.
He does not read this topic exactly, but there is a chance, that least one of the large flow of messages he can view.

----------

Here is the text of my message. Use it if you need, change it and do not forget to insert YOUR name at the end :-)

-----------

Hello Jon!
This message is about new rules for vector on Shutterstock and disastrous consequences that'll follow.

New rules are:

- At least 4MP with a new maximum 100MB size.
- A JPG will automatically be created for vectors.
- Need to enter metadata manually for each EPS file

1) The realistic mesh, light effects and other complex works, which are so popular now, cannot be adapted to the new conditions, because they will be hundreds of MB.
According to the new rules, will be impossible to upload any image with complex effects and realistic meshes.

2) A lot fo customers, working on weak computersjust can't work with huge files. But those customers can go to competitors and buy the same and small files, for example from Adobe.

3) The refusal of the JPG preview will entail a huge waste of time on manually keying for the each EPS file. It breaks all the workflow. So we will have to keying for hours instead of creating new content.

4) Internet traffic still matters in many countries  and some of our customers simply will not be able to charge new huge vectors and they’ll go to competitors.

5) Such large files will take up a lot of space both on sellers and buyers.

I want to emphasize that sold on Shutterstok vector content is also sold on other sites and the introduction of new rules gives Shutterstock competitors a huge advantage.

Here is a link to the petition, which was signed more than 1,700 authors of  Shuttertok vector graphics.
https://www.change.org/p/shutterstock-cancel-the-limitation-of-eps-files-to-4-megapixels-on-shutterstock

Links to the forum discussion :

https

Communicating on the Shutterstock forum and detailed explanations why the new rules are destructive for the sales of the Shutterstock Vector did not lead to anything, and so I appeal to you.
Jon, please pay attention to the situation.
Cancel these innovations, do not let fall apart to the cause that we, authors, love, and without a doubt  you love too.  
Hope for your understanding and support.

Sincerely
ENTER HERE YOUR NAME
Shutterstock vector artist

I just followed Feasbp's advice and messaged Jon...

This post is mainly for contributors and a little about what is awaiting us.

I was one of the so called tester group participants (in fact it was more like focus group) to provide feedback about new upload experience. I don’t know by what criteria contributors were invited, but I wouldn’t invite myself because the number of complex vectors in the my portfolio is less than the number of thawed hearts of an EX's^_^,  but nevertheless ...

In addition to all related problems, which were written about in the previous topic and are speaking about in this one, I think that we'll see most of the pitfalls during high servers loads after the new requirements will be launched. All that is written below is purely my personal impressions and I hope that other members of the focus group will also share their experiences.

Good things first

1. The most important thing in my opinion. The colors of an auto-generated previews doesn't differ from the ones I did myself. Perhaps there are minor distortions, but they are either invisible or do not play a special role.
  2. It looks like the approval was faster, but maybe it just seemed to me. Who knows, maybe Shutterstock wants to implement full automation to the verification process, who knows ...
  3. One of the reasons (I think not the main one) of this innovation is to make life easier for those who opens vectors in a raster editors (who are those people :huh:???) and, at the very least, the update does this task, but not always.
  4. Here should be some big advantage about which only the Shutterstock's top managers knows.

Unfortunately, I did not find more positive moments...

Now, what we'll be faced with

1. At that moment, it's still not clear to me whether the preview will be generated by bounding box or by artboard. Option 2, of course, is preferable.
  2. No objects should be outside an artboard, even hidden under clipping mask. I think that this restriction will be if JPEGs will be generating based on a bounding box.
  3. JPEG is generated in 1:1 scale and 4MP preview sometimes is rendered sooo appalling, especially if there is a small text in the works - it looks almost terrible. The solution is to make vectors bigger than 4MP with all the consequences... Anyway 4MP is not enough if we'll take to consider the fact that vectors will be opened in raster editors. There are straight requirements for vector files in order to open them in Photoshop painlessly. But for rendering of the auto-generated previews on the Shutterstock - quite often 4MP size is sufficient. It all depends on the vector itself and authors will have to figure it out themselves.
  4. Anna has shared with us an article that should help to assist in the new workflow. This is indeed good advice and many contributors being using it long time before, except for the one thing... If you'll save you EPS with ticked "Anti-alias Rasters" checkbox you'll get a blurry auto-generated preview and increased size of your EPS files and possible color shifts. If you'll will not tick the checkbox your previews will be sharp but your vectors will be bit pixelated when opened in Photoshop.                                      sizes.JPG.d94806ba3e503801ad35753f6f55f9b3.JPGpr.thumb.jpg.16fb1b580df511a95e2561c2653f6014.jpg             Visible grainy artifacts on the example above is due to the web form. There are no such artifacts on the generated JPEG
  5. Writing metadata into the EPS8 make it irreversibly unreadable! This information have already been written in this forum, but I say again: NEVER WRITE METADATA INTO AN EPS8 - you will lose the file.
  6. Attribution of the EPS10. Yes, in the Adobe Bridge you can batch edit metadata for new files, but what about the old ones?  There is a script that allows you to copy/paste metadata from selected fields of a file (one file at a time). This script may not work or work not the way it should be in a new versions of the Bridge. In my case (Bridge CC18) checkboxes are not visible, but you can still activate them if you manage to hit 'em. The solution is to manually register necessary checkboxes in the script body: for this your should to add a line gp2a.cb(serial number).value=true; under the line with the name of checkbox that you want to activate. I've attached script file with TITLE, DESCRIPTION and KEYWORDS checkboxes already been ticked.copymetadata.jsx This fields should be enough for most of the contributors needs. If the script is not defined in the Bridge, try copying it to the path: …\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge ( version )\Startup Scripts\  By that moment, it works the way it works but I hope that the author of this script or people who know javascript (not an amateur like me) will be able to patch this thing up. 

scriptbody.JPG.11e334ce129ac1f33b56159d6c3e1575.JPG

That's all for now...

P.S. Me, personally, don't like the new workflow but I, like the rest of a contributors, can only judge from my own side, and no one will show us another ones. No one is obliged to do this.  At the moment the ball is not in our court, and not even in the Shutterstock's court. The main feedback will be from customers and if everything will be fine for them, than alas we shouldn't hope for our desires to be satisfied. And for those who constantly comparing the upload procedure without JPEG files with another well-known microstock agency: let me remind you that this another microstock agency has requirements of a minimum size of an artboard 15MP but not 4.
But they have an alternative upload feature and I really want Shutterstock to give us a choice of uploading options in the future.

By the way, we need a piece of software which cut lines from 7990 to 8055 in an EPS10 file (made in AI) and replace with another.

I tagged an EPS10 file in AI and save it, so I got lines from 7990 to 8088 and saved it in another file without keywords. It works: now EPS10 file is tagged. Inside this file keywords are easily replaceable. But I haven't found any information about keywording EPS10 in any SDK and coding languages. So now we need to have this. Such a big work. Easier than ever, huh. Or maybe this is not important because Shutterstock will die and Adobe will become number one thanks to SS management.