We’re Updating How You Upload Vectors

28 minutes ago, Linda Bestwick said:

Presumably they will have signed none disclosure forms, so even if they wanted to say something they can't.

You mean important things like that keywording EPS 8 files corrupts them. That's a fun little feature. Does Lightroom even import EPS files? That seems pretty convenient too. 

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, thanks for the change - Yet another thing that takes time away from actually creating and just stifles the creative process. I've just spent the last 45 minutes saving, uploading, resizing, mess

this article is soo helpful to smaller the size of my vector file. You guys have to check it out https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/Best-Practice-Recommendations-f

Hello! I have warning in my contributor account: Your vector was saved with the “Use Artboards” setting. Starting on 04/20/2020, you will no longer be able to use this setting when uploading vect

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

The megapixel requirement is necessary for proper rasterization quality

No it's not. If you can't write an algorithm that makes you 4MP Jpegs out of any sized vectors (like Illustrator does? Hello?) you should hire better programmers.

It just looks like you've bought/outsourced this feature and paid for it and don't know what to do now, so you have to implement it either way instead of rewriting the code.

Or maybe you could explain how does a vector size defines the raster quality? Please! If you do that I feel like a lot of people will think that makes sense and this whole thread will stop. I've been an illustrator for almost 9 years and this is the first time I'm hearing you need BIG vectors to make BIG jpegs.

Gosh. Please correct me if I am wrong. But the only 2 different changes compared to the previous one are:

1. Increase from 50mb to 100mb maximum.

2. You can embed metadata into the EPS file.

However, the main problems still remain.

1. A much much bigger file size. 

2. Disruption to our workflow. Why do I have to spend time to calculate and increase the size of my artwork just to fit in 4MP? 

3. Buyer will be confused for sure by getting a much much bigger file size and artwork resolutions than the norm.

4. For a 2000x2000pixels, I believe many complex artwork will be way over 100mb. 

Dear SS! You totally understand nothing. You just take a pause to calm us down, did your job, which you should do first, like a possibility to import metadata. And then you just came back and push exactly the same proposition to our face! Wonderful!

Well, all we said before remains its power too. Some will quit upload, because 4MP is not an option for complicated vectors. It is not even what we "want". It is a technical requirement. You live with it or pass by. As an industry leader.

Just something to share...Since the previous announcement on the eps file size increment to 50mb, i did a small experiment to see how file size would affect sales in my portfolio. So I had uploaded a couple of my vector images and specifying the file size in the title on purpose so that buyers would know what’s the file size should they choose to download the image. Granted, with the file size i could include much more details in the texture but in term of download, none of these had been downloaded. Not even once while the other images from the same series with much smaller file size got downloaded  quite a few times.

11 hours ago, Anna Shutterstock said:

In this article, you will find tips to implement in your workflow to assist with these changes.

I just read the article. And found a few problems:

1) Object > Path > Simplify is very destructive option. Very.
2) Since when we are allowed to leave symbols in EPS? I guess, it's decreasing the compatibility of the file. It was always forbidden. If we don't need to keep files compatible anymore, why do we need to stay with EPS10?
3) Custom preset for Transparency Flattener can not be saved as a default. You have to switch it every time.

A weak article to cover sabotaging "upgrade".

@ Jeff  Anna Shutterstock

1. How about the vector contents that have been already uploaded in the past? I wonder if different quality preview images will be simultaneously displayed on SS.

2. Why did you not send us the official announcement by email? It is necessary that all contributors know about that before saving files as EPS. What will become of contributors who doesn't know this thread?

Looks like Shutterstock will never learn or listen to contributors. They think they know better than the voice of people who together have millions of hours of experience working with vectors. And the "The megapixel requirement is necessary for proper rasterization quality" statement is total nonsense, as I said in the previous topic, another company I work for is able to create any number of megapixels from small vectors without any loss of quality.

This is going to be the End of Shutterstock. And the raised 100 mb size cap won't help here. People will simply avoid uploading and downloading gigabytes of unnecessary files because they can get lightweight files from other sources, which are plenty. Furthermore, the Shutterstock collection will become a set of simplistic vectors and clients will flee to other websites with better range of choices.

You're killing yourself, Shutterstock. We have tried to save you so many times, but you never listened. Well. We have tried. Go on, it's your choice.

I read the article.
It is weak and your advice will not help us.
Reduce blend steps, keeping quality? Use Simplify? Are you kidding?
It does not save complex pictures with effects just spoil them.
100mb? My pictures at 4mp are more than 700.
Metadata to the EPS? Manually for each file? This will increase the working time at times.

2 hours ago, Swill Klitch said:

I just read the article. And found a few problems:

1) Object > Path > Simplify is very destructive option. Very.
2) Since when we are allowed to leave symbols in EPS? I guess, it's decreasing the compatibility of the file. It was always forbidden. If we don't need to keep files compatible anymore, why do we need to stay with EPS10?
3) Custom preset for Transparency Flattener can not be saved as a default. You have to switch it every time.

A weak article to cover sabotaging "upgrade".

I guess the article was written by some one who understands as much in vectors as some one stating "The megapixel requirement is necessary for proper rasterization quality"

I see another chance, we can try to do this:
Here is Shutterstock owner  Jon Oringer on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/joringer
I wrote him a message about our situation last time. Of cause, one message was ignored, but it will be harder to ignore, if he'll have 20-50-100 messages.
We can draw his attention to the fact that the authors are against innovations and why we are against it.
He does not read this topic exactly, but there is a chance, that least one of the large flow of messages he can view.

----------

Here is the text of my message. Use it if you need, change it and do not forget to insert YOUR name at the end :-)

-----------

Hello Jon!
This message is about new rules for vector on Shutterstock and disastrous consequences that'll follow.

New rules are:

- At least 4MP with a new maximum 100MB size.
- A JPG will automatically be created for vectors.
- Need to enter metadata manually for each EPS file

1) The realistic mesh, light effects and other complex works, which are so popular now, cannot be adapted to the new conditions, because they will be hundreds of MB.
According to the new rules, will be impossible to upload any image with complex effects and realistic meshes.

2) A lot fo customers, working on weak computersjust can't work with huge files. But those customers can go to competitors and buy the same and small files, for example from Adobe.

3) The refusal of the JPG preview will entail a huge waste of time on manually keying for the each EPS file. It breaks all the workflow. So we will have to keying for hours instead of creating new content.

4) Internet traffic still matters in many countries  and some of our customers simply will not be able to charge new huge vectors and they’ll go to competitors.

5) Such large files will take up a lot of space both on sellers and buyers.

I want to emphasize that sold on Shutterstok vector content is also sold on other sites and the introduction of new rules gives Shutterstock competitors a huge advantage.

Here is a link to the petition, which was signed more than 1,700 authors of  Shuttertok vector graphics.
https://www.change.org/p/shutterstock-cancel-the-limitation-of-eps-files-to-4-megapixels-on-shutterstock

Links to the forum discussion :

https

Communicating on the Shutterstock forum and detailed explanations why the new rules are destructive for the sales of the Shutterstock Vector did not lead to anything, and so I appeal to you.
Jon, please pay attention to the situation.
Cancel these innovations, do not let fall apart to the cause that we, authors, love, and without a doubt  you love too.  
Hope for your understanding and support.

Sincerely
ENTER HERE YOUR NAME
Shutterstock vector artist

Such a pity to see how Shutterstock is doing everything to lost the respect and trust from the contributor's side. Guys, what are you going to sell here with this new updating? Primitive flat illustrations, line icons and monochrome emblems? Welcoming tons of beginner illustrators? Really sad to see the degradation of once a great platform.

I have a file which according to your rules weighs more than 100 MB. What am I to do? No download? Is it serious? Why did you make that up? Who needs it? No one needs it except your managers, who do not understand what they are doing. Please, somebody tell me what's going on.

All stokers use scripts to save files, all work is automated as much as possible. Most of the work loads on a dozen platforms. And now you're doing so I need to buy more space in the cloud, buy more hard drives, now I need to adjust each file to the new standards. What for? It is inconvenient and will never be convenient. Why are you putting a spoke in the wheel?

Чтобы иметь денежную прибыль авторы грузят свои работы на несколько разных стоков. Внося изменения и увеличивая eps файл до 4MP вы заставляете авторов делать двойную работу. Например на бигстоке максимальный размер eps файла 25 мегабайт. Любой сложный eps файл при размере 4MP, c использованием инструмента бленда и с использованием световых режимов наложения, будет весить больше 25 мегабайт. Шаттерсток, не будь эгоистом. Если вам так надо чтобы превью создавалось автоматически, то сделайте это так чтобы авторам не приходилось увеличивать eps файл до 4MP.

Google translate:
To have a cash profit, the authors load their works on several different stocks. By making changes and increasing the eps file to 4MP, you are forcing the authors to do double work. For example, on a Bigstock, the maximum eps file size is 25 megabytes. Any complex eps file with 4MP size, using the blend tool and using light blending modes, will weigh more than 25 megabytes. Shutterstoсk, do not be selfish. If you need it so that the preview is automatically created, then do it so that the authors do not have to increase the eps file to 4MP.

I guess I'll restrain myself from expressing my huge disappointment with the changes - as it doesn't seem to help in any way - and get straight to the point: if I import keywords and description into Illustrator 8 eps files via AdobeBridge, the eps files don't open in Illustrator afterwards (however, in your article you say this method works). Any new update to fix it? 😠

error.JPG