Anna Shutterstock

We’re Updating How You Upload Vectors

Me and my fellow colleagues stopped to upload vectors to ss since the day no-jpeg-method opt in, because none of us simply have time for balancing every single vector between quality and new tough demands, alas.

Dear Shutterstock,

I have been uploading Vectors for over ten years, my latest upload, will not be accepted by your system 

I am trying to upload a EPS vector illustration, and if I upload at 4MP, you system will not except it, if I upload at 100MB your system will not except it. 

Can you please help

I really cannot understand why I cannot upload.

I have keep tracking the number of vectors file SS has: From 5/16 - 56,315,578 files to now 5/31 - 56,563,613, increase of 248,035 vectors files in half a month, not sure if this is a lot or less.

with this poor quality preview picture, I'm sending warm greeting to the  team of shutterstock. Guys, sorry, nothing personal, but it was not very complicated vector. If you are guys, in your ambitious project, are not able to make a good quality preview from this simple vector, then what is the point of your work? I understand,that you are the masters of the situation, but what is the meaning of these changes. Maybe,  this is just an idea, team of Shutterstock can first complete all this brilliant ideas, and then show us new way how to upload our works?

Untitled-1.jpg

23 hours ago, Arzan said:

I have keep tracking the number of vectors file SS has: From 5/16 - 56,315,578 files to now 5/31 - 56,563,613, increase of 248,035 vectors files in half a month, not sure if this is a lot or less.

I think the primary impact will be when buyers will be leaving because of lackness of diverse content, but not today. Waste majority of illustrators uses software and online services for tagging and uploading, so developers just added jpg to vector keywords function I think. This will be a long road for SS to get what they've done.

Clipboard02.png

On 5/29/2019 at 5:26 PM, Graffitimi said:

I tried and now again with 50 megabytes of upper limit. It's getting worse and worse.

visszaut.jpg

4 MP file maximum 50 megabytes ? Are they kidin'? Why not 5 megabytes. I think 5 MB limit would be perfect. What do think bout that shutterstock? Or you can set limit 0,5 mb for file

58 minutes ago, Max Engine said:

4 MP file maximum 50 megabytes ? Are they kidin'? Why not 5 megabytes. I think 5 MB limit would be perfect. What do think bout that shutterstock? Or you can set limit 0,5 mb for file

Yesterday I tried again (uploading over 50 megabytes of vector), and accepted. Great chaos ...

It forces the problem!!!

How can I save the icons with a particular size? They should be the small size: 24px, 48px or 60px. But how can I save the EPS file and deliver the icons to a customer without any changes from his side?

Shutterstock? Any ideas?

I cannot upload certain EPS documents. For example, "hoodie mockup Black 1" has a required minimum of 4 megapixels (artboard = 2000px x 2000px), which amounts to a file of over 100 megabytes (118 megabytes, to be exact). I then reduced the size of the file "hoodie mockup Black 1B-01" (even though I knew it would be useless, I did it to make a point) to 3,6 megapixels (artboard = 1300px x 1300px). That ended up a file with less than 100 megabytes total (91,9 megabytes), which allowed me to surpass the first step. But, in the final step, the upload is denied, being less than the required 4 megapixels (please see photos attached).

Another situation is that I want to upload a file with specific frame measures (A4, A5, A6, 5x6 in…) in the EPS file, which of course results in a small design within an artboard of 2000px x 2000px (please see photos attached).

So, I would like to know how can I send such files? Furthermore, I would like to leave the suggestion that, although this new feature is good, reducing the time for uploading, as you can well verify, it is not totally efficient. I would like to suggest keeping this functionality, but with the possibility of, if a EPS and JPEG with the same name are uploaded simultaneously, the review program would give preference to the JPEG file for “preview”, generating an “alert” for the reviewer, to ensure correct matching previews. What I mean is, hold the current procedure, but insert the possibility of using the “old method” for uploading certain EPS files.

issue Shutter-01.png

Dear Shutterstock,

Can we please have a update on whether you are going to continue with this extraordinary set of uploading criteria.

Loads of my designs/illustrations will just not fit in to your criteria. Light and Transparency effects are virtually redundant, this is limiting creativity and saleability.

If I make the pasteboard 4 MP then the files come out at way over 100 MB, if I reduce the image within this size to under 100 MB, but keep a outline for the 4 MP then the image size is ridiculously small.

Your new upload system simply does not work, how can you continue to insist that we continue to work to these constraints.

Plus the fact that uploading at 100 MB takes for ever, how are your Buyers going to go on with that, downloading vast .eps files that take forever.

Can we please, please, have some clarification on whether you are going to continue to impose this regime on your Vector contributors.

Someone in your Company needs to get their act together and answer all the questions that have been posted on this Forum, otherwise what is the point in having a Forum if no one answers these serious issues.

As much as I and all your other Vector Contributors Love Shutterstock this is no way to treat us.

Again, can somebody please come on this Forum and explain what is happening.

Can you please help!

I just hope you know what you're doing and has counted all the pros and cons

Can someone please give a hint or tell me how to save the eps in order for the preview to be rich in colours, whatever I do and upload the file becomes dull and  "washed out".

No customer will buy them this way.  :(

40 minutes ago, kirbyedy said:

Can someone please give a hint or tell me how to save the eps in order for the preview to be rich in colours, whatever I do and upload the file becomes dull and  "washed out".

No customer will buy them this way.  :(

195980170_-2.jpg.35c6e5852f6a94e787e74bdd2c48fda6.jpg

don't click "include CMYK...." while you save eps.

I did not included it.

I specifically followed the recommendations given by shutterstock on this link:

https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/Best-Practice-Recommendations-for-Saving-EPS-Files

And here is the result, I just tried it again. On the left is the file once its uploaded on shutterstock, the right one is how it actually looks like. So obvious desaturation is visible. Any idea how to correct this, what am I missing ?

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 08.38.22.png

On 6/4/2019 at 6:40 AM, kirbyedy said:

I did not included it.

I specifically followed the recommendations given by shutterstock on this link:

https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/Best-Practice-Recommendations-for-Saving-EPS-Files

And here is the result, I just tried it again. On the left is the file once its uploaded on shutterstock, the right one is how it actually looks like. So obvious desaturation is visible. Any idea how to correct this, what am I missing ?

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 08.38.22.png

This unfortunately is unsolvable.

Ok, this is pure insanity. 

Vector files are not measured in megapixels... because there are NO PIXELS.

Just tried uploading some new work and it was rejected due to this new size requirement. I've made over $100K with my vector files, which means Shutterstock has made WAY more than that from me alone.

FIX IT.

6 hours ago, Fenton one said:

The only reason I can think that they may not come on here and or change the upload system back to how it worked, is that, it is now a 'fait accompli', they are stuck with it.

I agree,  this was likely decided on before anyone realized how incredibly bad of an idea it was,  and make no mistake, it's bad--like I can't find a single benefit to  actually implementing it.

#5 is my biggest problem.  I work at a11x17 (ledger size)for the vast  majority of my works, and yes I can easily copy and paste the entire file into  another file that has been scaled up, and then scale the artwork up  to  match,  and add about three times the weight to  the file, but that is flat  out ridiculous,  and totally 100% destroys the intended purpose of the file....

To  be blunt about it, I won't do it.  I just  won't.  I refuse to  take part in this farce.

...now, #5  might be my biggest problem,  but #4 is hands down the most laughably ridiculous result of this.  It's comical in extremes,  but no one has acknowledged it,  at least  not from  Shutterstock's side, and it literally has you building icons at almost 28 inches square(at 72dpi)....

....the fact that  no one along the lines of this being developed and implemented pointed out how radically out of touch  with reality that is, just  boggles my mind. 

Now,  we were promised an in depth reply, some time ago, that would address these issues, and we've gotten nothing. 

This thread is being purposely ignored, and it wouldn't surprise me if it simply disappeared(several  pages of responses already have). As near as I can  tell, this is implemented and there is no  going back, which is sad, because it's literally bad enough to completely destroy their vector market: contributors won't upload,  and buyers won't want to  buy  files in that  size range.  It helps no one,  hurts everyone,  and will  prove to  be disastrous,  but Shutterstock is all in. 

SS, Can you answer a question?

I mostly made Letter or A4 size Certificate which is smaller than your size requirement... How you expect customer download a over sized certificate, and didn't tell them all the certificate eps template they download need them to do extra work in order to work? Will you have a warning before they download them? How you expect this will make customer happy?

I was wondering...is theree another way to reach anyone at Shutterstock?

It seems obvious that they simply ignore this topic, and as @Weiesnbach wrote, the whole topic could simply disappear one day. So can we find another way to let them know about all the aspects of this mess the've made?

I have keep tracking the new vector uploaded to SS, and most of them are just icon design, simple graphic, so far I see very few complex vector design, if this is keep going on, think in a short time, shutterstock will be the only agent that only provide simple vector for customer to download, and may losing customer,