Jump to content
Anna Shutterstock

We’re Updating How You Upload Vectors

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Pure Sight lab said:

Maybe it's a strange advice, but try to use pt instead px on your works. I use 2000x2000 pt artboards and it works. So, try it with other advises, maybe some of them wil work

Do you guys still remember the slogan of this innovation? "Shutterstock Has Made Uploading Vectors Easier Than Ever" Yeah, right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so sad because of no one from Shutter admins doesn't explain to us WHY do they did it? WHAT IS THE REASON?
During 3 days no reasonable comments from administration. Totally disregard to contributors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uploaded more than 30 vectors according to the new system. I have to say that was a very annoying experience. Even despite the fact that for the Illustrator there is a script that automatically changes the size of the artboard to 4 megapixels, I still have to manually copy/paste keywords, description and pick up this damn categories.

Due to the dramatic drop in sales in May, I seriously think to send the Shutterstock to hell and focus on other agencies. I think that buyers also react negatively to all the latest Shutterstock innovations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andrew Rybalko said:

Due to the dramatic drop in sales in May, I seriously think to send the Shutterstock to hell and focus on other agencies. I think that buyers also react negatively to all the latest Shutterstock innovations.

...and that is the crazy part of this whole situation. Contributors can understand it, I think the same can be said to the buyers, only Shutterstock can not see the negative impact of this decision, or at least they won't give any explanation :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mspoint said:

It works with 2001x2001px size 🤦‍♀️ (huge facepalm)

By the way, yes! I tried to upload file 2000x2000 px but got an error. Resolution must be greater than 2000x2000 px.

And this is not "at least 4.0 megapixels". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JSparrow said:

By the way, yes! I tried to upload file 2000x2000 px but got an error. Resolution must be greater than 2000x2000 px.

And this is not "at least 4.0 megapixels". 

Guess the coders don't see any difference between > and >=

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Andrew Rybalko said:

Uploaded more than 30 vectors according to the new system. I have to say that was a very annoying experience. Even despite the fact that for the Illustrator there is a script that automatically changes the size of the artboard to 4 megapixels, I still have to manually copy/paste keywords, description and pick up this damn categories.

Due to the dramatic drop in sales in May, I seriously think to send the Shutterstock to hell and focus on other agencies. I think that buyers also react negatively to all the latest Shutterstock innovations.

хорошо, что я такой тормоз, и привык описания и ключи в ручном режиме на самом сайте заполнять :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now what should I do a separate eps for SS. The size of the file in MB becomes double. 
For example, this vector with no blends, meshes or transparency is 5MB. After I made it 4Mp it became 10MB.
And most of my illustrations are over 10MB:(
Here the limit is 100MB, but I'm not working only with SS.
beige-seamless-patterns-set-beer-450w-13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sunnyfrog said:

...Here the limit is 100MB, but I'm not working only with SS.
 

The answer is obvious: your should make adjustments to vectors for Shutterstock separately from your main workflow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm back again, not trying to be annoying just need help.

does anyone know why the blue is so washed out on the preview? the other color like red, green, gold etc were perfectly fine but why the blue has such drastic decrease in vibrancy. i know this artwork will ended up to be printed but still...

is it something wrong with my export?

111.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Anjar Gunandy said:

i'm back again, not trying to be annoying just need help.

does anyone know why the blue is so washed out on the preview? the other color like red, green, gold etc were perfectly fine but why the blue has such drastic decrease in vibrancy. i know this artwork will ended up to be printed but still...

is it something wrong with my export?

111.jpg

 Switch off the option  'Include CMYK PostScript in RGB files' in panel of saving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I work in Inkscape, and what I feared has come true: my vectors get rejected now, because at 4MP, the vector is overlapping the artboard bounds when opened in Illustrator. 

Which means we cannot submit illustrations unless they are created in Adobe Illustrator???? 

Seems like Shutterstock is really keen on increasing Adobe's sales.

It also means that Shutterstock will not receive any illustrations by me in the future... 

 

Edit: Jeff replied saying Inkscape submissions will be accepted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an assumption about the 'auto-rasterization', which was imposed on us.
I think that this feature has been used by Shutterstock for a long time. They was doing a temporary raster copy in order to compare our preview with our vector source. I remember how my work was rejected due to vector and raster mismatch. This happened because of an inconspicuous trifle: I accidentally moved a tiny object in the picture, but after exporting the preview. That's why I assume that SS team just want to facilitate their workflow by removing the comparing of files, and this is a basic reason.

And the condition '4 megapixels' is connected with the idea to generate the preview 'as is', without forced (and energy-intensive for servers) scaling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On one hand I am shocked and dismayed by the reaction I see to Shutterstock's business decision.  I have worked for other employers for years and understand that it is their company and they have the right to change procedures however they wish.  If I don't like the changes they make, I was raised to either accept the changes or leave the company before I complained.

On the other hand, after the example our elected leaders have given in the last several years, it does not surprise me that so many people are comfortable taking money from a company one minute and complaining when they exercise their rights.  It is a perfect example why I do not participate in the Shutterstock Forum more.

I used to have a sign in my office that said, "If you work for a man, remain loyal to him.  If you cannot remain loyal, quit and damn him all you want."

As I read your memo, the change only affects people who submit vector files not regular photos.  If they only submit to Shutterstock it actually takes a step from their workflow.  It only adds work to those who submit the same file to multiple microstock companies.

Perhaps if those who are complaining remember that they did not have to interview for a job at Shutterstock and there are other microstock companies that they can submit to if they are not happy with the new procedures.  There is no law or regulation that forces photographers to contribute to Shutterstock.

However, I must agree with them about their point on, "We listened".  To be honest, I am rather tired of companies and politicians trying to tell me what I want or, as the expression goes "pee on my leg and tell me its raining."  If Shutterstock wants to change procedures, they are totally within their rights to make changes, but don't try to tell the people who provide you stock in trade that the change was made because they requested it.  I know that nobody asked me what I wanted so the comment, "We listened to you..." is just a lie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Timothy L Barnes said:

...I know that nobody asked me what I wanted so the comment, "We listened to you..." is just a lie.

"We did it because the people asked us for it" is a typical pretext of dictatorial regimes.

This method of imposing decisions under the guise of 'caring for the folk' was popular in our USSR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timothy L Barnes said:

On one hand I am shocked and dismayed by the reaction I see to Shutterstock's business decision.  I have worked for other employers for years and understand that it is their company and they have the right to change procedures however they wish.  If I don't like the changes they make, I was raised to either accept the changes or leave the company before I complained.

On the other hand, after the example our elected leaders have given in the last several years, it does not surprise me that so many people are comfortable taking money from a company one minute and complaining when they exercise their rights.  It is a perfect example why I do not participate in the Shutterstock Forum more.

I used to have a sign in my office that said, "If you work for a man, remain loyal to him.  If you cannot remain loyal, quit and damn him all you want."

As I read your memo, the change only affects people who submit vector files not regular photos.  If they only submit to Shutterstock it actually takes a step from their workflow.  It only adds work to those who submit the same file to multiple microstock companies.

Perhaps if those who are complaining remember that they did not have to interview for a job at Shutterstock and there are other microstock companies that they can submit to if they are not happy with the new procedures.  There is no law or regulation that forces photographers to contribute to Shutterstock.

However, I must agree with them about their point on, "We listened".  To be honest, I am rather tired of companies and politicians trying to tell me what I want or, as the expression goes "pee on my leg and tell me its raining."  If Shutterstock wants to change procedures, they are totally within their rights to make changes, but don't try to tell the people who provide you stock in trade that the change was made because they requested it.  I know that nobody asked me what I wanted so the comment, "We listened to you..." is just a lie.

As content providers, WE are the company.

By the way, I don't understand why people complain so much and do nothing concrete to change this situation.
We have seen that petitions are ignored, so they are useless.
But there are other ways of doing things. Remember what happened with Fotolia when the Dollar Photo Club was created....
If people are not happy with the new SS rules on vectors, no one is forcing them to continue selling here. 
But, yes, it is easier to complain than to be honest with yourself and make a consistent decision.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally agree with the fact that Shutterstock may implement whatever changes it considers necessary. But if these changes are positioned as an "improvement" to OUR workflow and the answer to OUR requests, and it is in fact a FORUM, I believe we are allowed and should express our opinion here. Moreover, there are a few serious questions raised in this thread the Shutterstock representatives are still to deal with. So I just wait for that "thorough reply" we were promised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Franzi said:

I work in Inkscape, and what I feared has come true: my vectors get rejected now, because at 4MP, the vector is overlapping the artboard bounds when opened in Illustrator. 

Which means we cannot submit illustrations unless they are created in Adobe Illustrator???? 

Seems like Shutterstock is really keen on increasing Adobe's sales.

It also means that Shutterstock will not receive any illustrations by me in the future... 

Paradoxically, even adobe stock accepts SVG files made in other  vector graphics editors.

I use Inkscape for convertion to .eps, but didn't try jet to upload on shutterstock with new rules. According to your message it not worth to draw new vectors for SS anymore, I think i will get the same error during upload.

Also interested is there only one solution - to buy Adobe Illustrator?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, oleskalashnik said:

I have an assumption about the 'auto-rasterization', which was imposed on us.
I think that this feature has been used by Shutterstock for a long time. They was doing a temporary raster copy in order to compare our preview with our vector source. I remember how my work was rejected due to vector and raster mismatch. This happened because of an inconspicuous trifle: I accidentally moved a tiny object in the picture, but after exporting the preview. That's why I assume that SS team just want to facilitate their workflow by removing the comparing of files, and this is a basic reason.

And the condition '4 megapixels' is connected with the idea to generate the preview 'as is', without forced (and energy-intensive for servers) scaling.

Nope. Nobody compared previews and actual eps, unless the reviewer did it manually. There were a perfect examples while watercolor autotrace was acceptable. Some people were sending original watercolors as a preview to the low quality vectors. It is forbidden and may lead to official warning or ban, I suppose. And it should be enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I turned in support, ticket ref: _00D301GgSC._5000c1oj7FZ: ref
The preview is grainy and unclear. The size of the artboard vector is a large 10 megapixels. But in support I was advised to increase the size of the artboard. Where more? Is it already 10 megapixels? Administration, I ask for help. What should I do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...