Anna Shutterstock

We’re Updating How You Upload Vectors

The new vector upload process is launching on May 13, 2019, eliminating the need to upload a JPEG preview with your EPS file. Shutterstock is an industry leader and this is an innovative, exciting launch. With your feedback in mind, we worked with a number of contributors to beta-test this process to successfully create quality auto-rasterized JPEGs. 

Here are the changes:

1. You will only need to upload vectors, with no JPEG required. A JPEG will automatically be created for your vectors when you upload. This ensures there is a correct matching preview for your vectors, with consistent quality and minimum dimensions.
  2. You will be able to import descriptions and keywords embedded in EPS files. 
  3. Your vectors can be up to 100 MB.
  4. All EPS files will have a 4MP minimum requirement, ensuring a consistent customer experience.

In this article, you will find tips to implement in your workflow to assist with these changes. These changes will ensure that customers who purchase your vectors will be able to open and use them in a wider variety of programs. Together, we create a consistent experience for customers who purchase and use your vectors.

Thank you to our beta testers for their participation in this product launch. Shutterstock strives to constantly create better experiences for our contributors for the long term. While we understand these adjustments impact your workflow, we are confident that the new workflow will help you focus on creating beautiful vectors while providing a quality product our customers have come to expect from our marketplace.

Why do you need 4 megapixel vector for the customer, if the vector was originally created so that you can increase / decrease without loss of quality? Doesn’t the customer understand this and can’t increase the vector to the required size? 🤦‍♂️

Oh, boy! Not this SHIT again!

Who are these beta-test contributors? Who are these mythical creatures who are satisfied with everything in this update?

What is the real reason for the "innovations"? Maybe you have a technical reason and you don’t want to talk about it?

20 minutes ago, D1min said:

Why do you need 4 megapixel vector for the customer, if the vector was originally created so that you can increase / decrease without loss of quality? Doesn’t the customer understand this and can’t increase the vector to the required size? 🤦‍♂️

The megapixel requirement is necessary for proper rasterization quality

Shutterstock team!
You probably do not hear us all the same. We repeat it again! We DO NOT want you to radically interfere with our creative process. I can understand the addition of a new uploading method, but I'm against the old one being canceled. Why not leave 2 methods?

48 minutes ago, Jeff said:

The megapixel requirement is necessary for proper rasterization quality

We don't want any changes!!! You complicate, but not facilitate our work!!! 

I don't want to buy 10 new hard drives to store these huge files!!! 

There is no need to create a 4 MP EPS to have a good rasterization quality!!! 

7 minutes ago, JSparrow said:

We don't want any changes!!! You complicate, but not facilitate our work!!! 

I don't want to buy 10 new hard drives to store these huge files!!! 

There is no need to create a 4 MP EPS to have a good rasterization quality!!! 

With regards to your concerns about file size - we took this feedback very seriously during planning and testing. Please try the settings in the support doc linked in Anna's post and let us know how large your file is after the fact.  https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/Best-Practice-Recommendations-for-Saving-EPS-Files

Feels like a spit to the face of all the contributors. Shutterstock doesn't hear us at all. At least please give us the OPTION TO CHOOSE. 

And it would be interesting to hear something from those beta-testers, who are they and why not a single one of them writes something in this feed?!

I totally agree, please let us choose. Why complicate things? I don't get it. We have to create JPGs for other agencies anyway.
And I do not want to create and submit 100MB files if the same image can be stored as a 10MB file. That just doesn't make any sense.

Shutterstock did a thing once. It renamed contributor.shutterstock.com into submit.shutterstock.com. So we became some submitters instead of contributors.

Seems like an act of dehumanization, I thought. Well, I thought correctly, it was. 1777 contributors against corporation - it's a power. 1777 some submitters - huh, nevermind, some crowd of no ones. So, we aren't important. Nothing can be done here. We can expect something even worse soon. Cause we aren't contributors anymore.

Dehumanization is a common step to get more money.  Next steps... I don't even want to think about it.

That's a great news, for Adobe and Getty. I admire your ability to ignore all demands and needs of your suppliers.

Well at least you are not mocking us "easier than ever", that's a progress.

1 hour ago, oixxo said:

Feels like a spit to the face of all the contributors. Shutterstock doesn't hear us at all. At least please give us the OPTION TO CHOOSE. 

And it would be interesting to hear something from those beta-testers, who are they and why not a single one of them writes something in this feed?!

Presumably they will have signed none disclosure forms, so even if they wanted to say something they can't.