An update to the way we review Mature Content

We are streamlining guidelines around the review of content with nudity and sexual themes. Up until now we accepted some content without an R-Rating and some content without a Mature Content Model Release. A Mature Content Model Release is one in which the model is over 21 years old and there is a photo ID attached to the release confirming the model’s identity and age.

Starting May 20, 2019 the following types of content will require a ‘Mature Content’ tag (formerly Nudity/R-Rated, which will be updated soon in the Content Editor and mobile app) and a Mature Content Model Release if a model appears in the content. Click on the descriptions for visual examples (WARNING: LINKS BELOW CONTAIN IMAGES WITH NUDITY AND VULGAR LANGUAGE )

Content with nudity and sexual themes that does not meet these requirements will be rejected with the Mature Content Model Release, Mature Content Designation, or Objectionable Content rejection. We will also no longer accept Documentary Editorial content with nudity in which the subject appears to be unaware of being on camera, or appears to object to the image being captured.

We are also implementing stricter guidelines for content with vulgar language and profanity:

• We will accept content with mature language in the image or titles and keywords as long as it is tagged as “Mature Content” (formerly R-Rated.) Some terms may be rejected for Objectionable Content or Objectionable Metadata depending on how the term is used.

These new guidelines will create a more consistent review experience for our contributors and will also ensure that our collection provides a consistent search experience for our customers with the Safe-Search filter.

On 5/7/2019 at 5:39 PM, Algol said:

What about illustrations/3d renders (as obviously they can't have a model release!). Are there any new rules there, or do they still have the note to reviewer for "illustration without reference" as normal?

The note to reviewer should still apply, and they must be tagged with the Mature Content tag.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 9:17 PM, Anna Shutterstock said:

We are streamlining guidelines around the review of content with nudity and sexual themes. Up until now we accepted some content without an R-Rating and some content without a Mature Content Model Release. A Mature Content Model Release is one in which the model is over 21 years old and there is a photo ID attached to the release confirming the model’s identity and age.

Starting May 20, 2019 the following types of content will require a ‘Mature Content’ tag (formerly Nudity/R-Rated, which will be updated soon in the Content Editor and mobile app) and a Mature Content Model Release if a model appears in the content. Click on the descriptions for visual examples (WARNING: LINKS BELOW CONTAIN IMAGES WITH NUDITY AND VULGAR LANGUAGE )

Content with nudity and sexual themes that does not meet these requirements will be rejected with the Mature Content Model Release, Mature Content Designation, or Objectionable Content rejection. We will also no longer accept Documentary Editorial content with nudity in which the subject appears to be unaware of being on camera, or appears to object to the image being captured.

We are also implementing stricter guidelines for content with vulgar language and profanity:

• We will accept content with mature language in the image or titles and keywords as long as it is tagged as “Mature Content” (formerly R-Rated.) Some terms may be rejected for Objectionable Content or Objectionable Metadata depending on how the term is used.

These new guidelines will create a more consistent review experience for our contributors and will also ensure that our collection provides a consistent search experience for our customers with the Safe-Search filter.

hello, i just had 3 clips refused because - 

Rejection reasons (1)

Mature Content Designation: This content must be designated as “Mature Content.”

is this applicable also for videos now? furthermore in search bar i dont see any  safe-search filter.

please clarify, thank you

On 5/6/2019 at 10:17 PM, Anna Shutterstock said:

Hi, Anna!

During Submitting and rejection - how can I connect with review team?

Because many times I receive same rejection with different images. 

One nude image accepted (R-box checked + mature conten tagged), and same image in lingerie is declined. Same problem with Photo ID and 21+ age.

It's look ridiculous, when one image with same MR accepted and next are declined

declined.jpg

@Anna Shutterstock

is it possible in ANY WAY, to have the flag removed from my SPAYED KITTEN image that will not show up unless the "safe search" is switched off?

Same with a neutered kitten image?

Yet, my spayed dog's suture image is shown "normally".

I think I'm losing sales on these two because nobody in their right mind would think that this content is somehow "unsuitable" and must be viewed under safe switch off.

PLEASE?

closeup-sutured-incision-on-young-600w-7

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/closeup-sutured-incision-on-young-cats-706746286

closeup-male-cats-hind-end-600w-70674628

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/closeup-male-cats-hind-end-day-706746289