An adjustment to your account

Yesterday I received this mail from Shutterstock Support,

Dear Contributor,

- "When our systems detect fraudulent transactions or other illegal activity, we rescind the rights to fraudulently obtained assets and reverse related transactions.
Our records show that $ ... of your unpaid earnings were related to such activity. We've adjusted your account to reflect the reversal of these transactions and download counts. For specific details, visit the Adjustments tab in your Earnings profile.

We take security seriously. If you have any questions about these updates, please contact us. "-

Has anyone had experience with this so far? This is the first time I hear that there are such activities on SS

1 hour ago, RIVstock said:

Yesterday I received this mail from Shutterstock Support,

Etc ...

I think what people will want to know is what are the specifics .... how was deemed illegal or fraudulent. Someone posted this week and I'm paraphrasing 

"A friend of mine regularly buys my pictures. I'm guessing that any minute SS algorithm will detect the same person purchasing many of my pictures and my account will be suspended" 

So similar ish issue or potentially but without specifics it's hard for people to recognise or help you determine if you have been penalised incorrectly for a simple misunderstanding. Of course if you do not wish to be specific it will limit responses to specifically has anyone had this happen yes or no. If that makes sense. 

@geogif

47 minutes ago, geogif said:

Which specific details did they give?

Thumbnail and ID of media (video, photo ...)
Adjustment date - the date when the adjustment was performed
Transaction date - the date when tansaction (sales) was performed
Download adjustment - how many times the media has a fraudulent transaction (corrections of the download count)
Adjustment - for how much profit is reduced (earnings adjustments for such amount)

@Scorsby

28 minutes ago, Scorsby said:

I think what people will want to know is what are the specifics .... how was deemed illegal or fraudulent.

I think that for security reasons SS should not give details publicly (what and how..). They have already said "We take security seriously", so it's up to them to follow it

and working on the system security so that there would be no such situations anymore.

28 minutes ago, Scorsby said:

"A friend of mine regularly buys my pictures. I'm guessing that any minute SS algorithm will detect the same person purchasing many of my pictures and my account will be suspended" 

I do not understand why it would be a problem if the same person purchases many of my pictures, what is illegal here? It's even desirable :)

21 minutes ago, RIVstock said:

I do not understand why it would be a problem if the same person purchases many of my pictures, what is illegal here? It's even desirable :)

I think in this case the friend was probably buying the images to boost the search rank of that image, not because she or he needed the image. I am sure if he needed them, he could buy them directly from his friend without paying the share Sutterstock keeps for themselves....

But other than that I don't think there is a problem if the same customer keeps buying your images. It's not even unlikely, if you, for example, cover a special area he is interested in, why would he not come back and buy more? There is this one person in Spain who seems to come back for my dog photos from time to time. So I don't think that's unusual.

And, I think there might be some confusion here. Some people seem to think that you did something against the rules and got a penalty for that. but I understood it that way that there was something wrong with a purchase, like, for example, someone paid for an image, but for whatever reason the payment did not go through (stolen credit card...whatever....)?

30 minutes ago, Firn said:

I think in this case the friend was probably buying the images to boost the search rank of that image, not because she or he needed the image. I am sure if he needed them, he could buy them directly from his friend without paying the share Sutterstock keeps for themselves....

Yes, but it pays the price as everyone else (whether it's a friend or not) and SS takes its share ...
Here is something else, someone makes a fraudulent transaction and wants to get media (videos, photos ...) for free and in this way he takes (steals) money from SS

I got the same letter. Details in the Adjustments tab is just a list of images and dates. Prices and dates vary. Nothing is understandable. 

If somebody tricked shutter, it is not my fault. It is a problem with the site. And responsibility I guess. Because i can't control and avoid the situation of "fraudulently obtained assets" as they name stolen images. :/ 

I had something similar happen on Adobe where they adjusted my account by $60 because of a transaction error. I'm sure it happens from time to time. It's painful, but hopefully it won't happen on a regular basis. I much prefer when the error is in our favor and we get more than they credited us initially (that has never happened as far as I know though).

• 8 months later...