Shutterstock Has Made Uploading Vectors Easier Than Ever

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a great vector from Ecco. https://www.shutterstock.com/image-vector/big-collection-spring-summer-colorful-flowers-1301017918?src=pdxYEDqm-1P8UpFlOpwRWA-1-7 Here's the illustration ins

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Anna Shutterstock said:

Hello everybody,

Thank you for all the details and feedback you’ve provided.  I’ll offer some answers to your common questions below.

1: Why make this change? 
In our original post, we didn’t really clarify WHY we’re making these changes. My bad! 

For years, vector contributors have been asking us to allow uploading of an EPS file on its own with no JPEG preview. After we looked at the survey of feature requests from vector contributors, the ability to upload EPS with no JPG was always near the top of the list. (The other top request was more general: “make uploading easier”.) The core reason we are making this change, is because contributors asked us to.

The JPEG we generate from your EPS will be salable on Shutterstock and serve as the preview for your vector. Salable JPEGs must be at least 4mp, so we are requiring the artwork dimensions of your EPS to be at least this big.  We found in our tests, that if we upsized the artwork on your vector to create a 4mp JPEG, we risked pixelation and other quality problems. However, we are continuing to explore our options to create high-quality previews from artwork with smaller dimensions. Using the examples you’ve provided will help us know that we’re covering more bases.

2: What about complex vectors? If the dimensions are 4mp, the file size will exceed the max limit Shutterstock allows.

We tested with a LOT of vectors, but, you’re right. We didn’t necessarily test with files exactly like yours.

These new requirements are not set in stone nor permanent. We decided on these numbers as a starting point - with confidence that they will provide high-quality jpeg previews for most cases. At the same time, we are open and willing to make changes to accommodate the types of vectors you want to submit. 

After we launch these changes next week, we all need to continue to work together to find the sweet spot.  I ask that you give it a try… see how it goes. Can your creations be sized to meet these requirements?  And reach out to us with more examples of what isn’t working. 

3: Without the JPEG, my metadata won’t be imported.

Yes, this is going to be uncomfortable for a few weeks. I know. It’s our team’s next priority, and we will waste no time in resolving this.

Our plan is to allow embedded metadata in the EPS files to be imported with the image, just like we do for JPEG illustrations and photos (and yes! Videos will be coming also!).

Another option would be to upload your metadata using a CSV. While this is typically used for videos, it will work for image uploads also. Please see this page for details on how to do this with video. Note - you will need to use correct image categories.

4: What about Inkscape drawings. The requirements conflict with previous recommendations. 

Thanks for bringing this up. Our previous best practices for Inkscape are out of date now and should be disregarded. Please follow the same exact directions as everyone else and make your artwork 4 MP.

I did not ask you to do this! I do not agree with those crazy useless changes! Do you understand that people are totally against it?! Why you continue?! This is not working together! 

43 minutes ago, Anna Shutterstock said:

The core reason we are making this change, is because contributors asked us to.

And no-one tell you "thank you", just "Stop it! Are you crazy?" I don't understand how could such raw product be released in 3 DAYS and have no alternative. How happened that no-one tested this and already made it, without thinking if it will work in the first place!?? How? How? HOW?

Your uploading process is already ok, It's the only stock, that I don't need other programmes to upload! Just leave it as is, please! PLEASE!

Dear admins. Please, hear us!

I don't have any problems with uploading vector files now how it is. 
I don't want to enter metadata manually.
I don't want to create any additional files (another huge eps for shutterstock only, csv with metadata or whatever). 
I don’t want to redo the hundreds of my already finished vector files that I'm going to upload in coming weeks and months.
But you force all of us to do this unnecessary work because of your incomplete "improvements" and not-tested features. 
I appreciate my time. And you don't value our time at all. 

Please, stop to do it. 

12 minutes ago, legdrubma said:

We tested with a LOT of vectors, but, you’re right. We didn’t necessarily test with files exactly like yours.

To understand what affects EPS file size you need to ask author that makes complex art. Everyone of them had problems in making it as compact as 15Mb, so we know almost all the tricks and know what exactly makes it weight a bit more. So please ask. Or just don't touch something that creators with experience make better than some line of code.

45 minutes ago, Anna Shutterstock said:

2: What about complex vectors? If the dimensions are 4mp, the file size will exceed the max limit Shutterstock allows.

4: What about Inkscape drawings. The requirements conflict with previous recommendations. 

Anna, I am deeply sorry and with all my respect to you, this is all wrong. Do you see a number of your points? It is 4 problem points you created from nothing. And most of this points can't be worked around from our side. You ask us to give it a try? The only way to try it is to bypass and skip uploading. And give up and work through pain with metadata. I'm sorry, but there's no chance that I will provide metadata via JPG to 15 agencies and create a CSV for SS only.

I know, you did a lot for community and thank you for talking to us now. But this time it's better to step back, leave it as is and test all the aspects better before implementing. You were guided by the survey? Make one more survey to check if we want or at least be able to work with improvements. And then decide.

By the way, there's a link to petition on page 5 here. I never seen a single man, who wanted to upload only EPS, but there's over 400 people already signed to stop the madness.

23 minutes ago, legdrubma said:

Yes, this is going to be uncomfortable for a few weeks.

The main problem is not that "it's not comfortable", but that it's not possible to fit in your 50Mb with this resolution, only if you make something simple like icons, even without shadows or effects.

Your customers will not tell you "Thank you", and so contributors will not. Did you find something like this here?

It's so stupid that it could be a joke! How someone who's selling something could understand so less in the subject! This is just blowing my mind!

48 minutes ago, Anna Shutterstock said:

(The other top request was more general: “make uploading easier”.) The core reason we are making this change, is because contributors asked us to.

Dear Anna, with all due respect, let's just say you're optimizing one aspect of uploading at the price of many complications your authors are gonna come through. As for "how it goes" - all these comments have complitely described how this innovation is about to go. Lots of additional "manual" resizing work, lots of time about to spend on complex vectors just to fit and -  I mean probably hours to make some vectors look presentable AND having required sizement (such a cruel torture). As for my portfolio - I'll basicly will have to choose another direction of vector design to get along with these changes - which is a huge stress.

If you really listen, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't do that.
You will make happy hundreds of people, literally, hundreds. This is so easy, PLEASE!

49 minutes ago, Anna Shutterstock said:

Hello everybody,

Thank you for all the details and feedback you’ve provided.  I’ll offer some answers to your common questions below.

In our original post, we didn’t really clarify WHY we’re making these changes. My bad! 

For years, vector contributors have been asking us to allow uploading of an EPS file on its own with no JPEG preview. After we looked at the survey of feature requests from vector contributors, the ability to upload EPS with no JPG was always near the top of the list. (The other top request was more general: “make uploading easier”.) The core reason we are making this change, is because contributors asked us to.

The JPEG we generate from your EPS will be salable on Shutterstock and serve as the preview for your vector. Salable JPEGs must be at least 4mp, so we are requiring the artwork dimensions of your EPS to be at least this big.  We found in our tests, that if we upsized the artwork on your vector to create a 4mp JPEG, we risked pixelation and other quality problems. However, we are continuing to explore our options to create high-quality previews from artwork with smaller dimensions. Using the examples you’ve provided will help us know that we’re covering more bases.

These new requirements are not set in stone nor permanent. We decided on these numbers as a starting point - with confidence that they will provide high-quality jpeg previews for most cases. At the same time, we are open and willing to make changes to accommodate the types of vectors you want to submit. 

After we launch these changes next week, we all need to continue to work together to find the sweet spot.  I ask that you give it a try… see how it goes. Can your creations be sized to meet these requirements?  And reach out to us with more examples of what isn’t working. 

Yes, this is going to be uncomfortable for a few weeks. I know. It’s our team’s next priority, and we will waste no time in resolving this.

Our plan is to allow embedded metadata in the EPS files to be imported with the image, just like we do for JPEG illustrations and photos (and yes! Videos will be coming also!).

Another option would be to upload your metadata using a CSV. While this is typically used for videos, it will work for image uploads also. Please see this page for details on how to do this with video. Note - you will need to use correct image categories.

Thanks for bringing this up. Our previous best practices for Inkscape are out of date now and should be disregarded. Please follow the same exact directions as everyone else and make your artwork 4 MP.

So now I realize not only will we have to resize the artwork, but adding the metadata for every submitted file one by one, because the metadata in EPS files is not recognized! (CSV is also a pain). This is going to make submitting incredibly cumbersome, let alone if you upload a big number of files, this could take hours! I hope you really reconsider and not implement this new changes.

Best regards,

1 hour ago, Anna Shutterstock said:

The JPEG we generate from your EPS will be salable on Shutterstock

Stop it please! Not everyone JPEG must be salable. So many vector pictures must be sold only as vector (taking the required layer). Each contributor will decide whether to sell the image separately from the vector.

Only big problems from this "Easer Uploading". Really! Go back!

Dear Anna I Understand that you're not the one who makes the decision but!
- I never asked Shutterstock to give me opportunity to load only EPS files, and I do not know any vector contributor (who are really take some profit from their vectors) who had asked it. All agencies has more-or-less same requirements but you want to be unique?
- JPEG previews that are loaded with vector already are salable!! And some authors upload raster copies of their works if vectors are suitable to be used as rasters
- You say that you're a risked pixelation and other quality problems but it looks like Shutterstock just don't want to provide acceptable solution to the problem and shoves all the difficulties to the contributors.
- As for metadata import support answered that they hope this will be implemented in upcoming months but not few weeks...
- Why, why are SS team haven't tested this "improvement" in advance? And now, despite all complains in this theme you said that these changes will be done in anyway...
HUGE DISRESPECT

Анна, пожалуйста, услышьте нас. Для большинства авторов это нововведение губительно, Шаттерсток для многих основной источник доходов, но если правило 4 мегапикселей не отменят, мы будем вынуждены покинуть Шаттерсток, и не из-за неудобства или личных обид на новое правило, а потому что в принципе невозможно сохранить наши файлы в таком формате и уложиться в размер до 50 мегабайт, да даже 100 не всегда хватает.  Мы не против нововведений, но в данном случае новое правило фактически значит прекращение сотрудничества с Шаттерстоком, причем не по нашей инициативе. 

Пациент, не дергайтесь, мы ногу вам все равно отрежем. Мы уверены, что с одной ногой ходить удобнее и за обувью следить легче и быстрее, ведь ботинок будет лишь один. Вы так же сможете кооперироваться с другим безногим и покупать пару на двоих. Сплошная экономия!

2 minutes ago, CodexSerafinius said:

Пациент, не дергайтесь, мы ногу вам все равно отрежем. Мы уверены, что с одной ногой ходить удобнее и за обувью следить легче и быстрее, ведь ботинок будет лишь один. Вы так же сможете кооперироваться с другим безногим и покупать пару на двоих. Сплошная экономия!

👍

21 minutes ago, CodexSerafinius said:

👍