Shutterstock Has Made Uploading Vectors Easier Than Ever

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a great vector from Ecco. https://www.shutterstock.com/image-vector/big-collection-spring-summer-colorful-flowers-1301017918?src=pdxYEDqm-1P8UpFlOpwRWA-1-7 Here's the illustration ins

Posted Images

On 4/4/2019 at 1:06 AM, Anna Shutterstock said:

To calculate your megapixels, multiply the X (width) by the Y (height) of your image or artwork. For example: 2000 x 2000 pixels = 4 megapixels. We have also increased the EPS file size limit for uploading vectors to 50MB, making uploading vectors easier than ever.

Anna, tell your management that the idea to increase the artboard to 4 megapixels for vector files is bad for both contributors and buyers. Because many modern vectors contains a gradient meshes, various blending modes and transparencies. And even if the artists will make the size of files within the limit of 50 mb, customers who have bought such illustrations will face a freezes and slowing down in working with layers of EPS.

Shutterstock, you're digging your own grave. Highly realistic and detailed design starts to develop actively, covering more and more fields of graphic design.

Behance, Dribbble, and other similar online platforms inspires us to professional growth — we want to create a really interesting and challenging illustrations. But with your new requirements it becomes impossible. You are forcing your contributors to create simpler images than the modern design requires.

And there is one major big problem. How should I track the final file size in the process of creating an illustration? For example, I create amazing and complex illustration, then save it with 4MP dimension, and suddenly I see that my file size is more than 50MB. What should I do? Should I simplify the illustration? But I don’t want to do this, I want my illustration to be highly detailed, as some of trends requires. So I will upload this file to another agencies (ignoring Shutterstock), and I think that other contributors will come to the same decision. Soon some of stock image giants will become more preferred by buyers because their image database will be more interesting compared to the database on Shutterstock.

Dear Shutterstock,

I feel that you're NOT RESPECTING people who are making money for you, as you warned us just 3 DAYS before.

1) I will need to spend a lot of time changing lots of files that are already drawn. Contributors usually draw content not for tomorrow, but for months ahead, you know.

2) I need to throw away all the complex art I already drawn and draw some icons for you.

It will not fit in your "increased" 50Mb in 4Mp.

3) I need to write metadata by hand for each file just for SS.

You know, it's written in JPEG file, that "You will no longer need to provide when you upload". And you didn't invent any alternative, so to say something false like this makes me remember 1984 of Orwell, when they increased dose of chocolate. You cannot say "WE MADE IT EASIER", if you just deleted something and didn't give alternative. Anyway we're making it for all other micro stocks, so no profit for us in this "innovation".

4) I will need to make special BIG files for SS. 

This one new EPS file will take much more space in my Mac than 2 files that were before. But actually now I will need to make 3 files. One BIG for you, and 2 ordinary EPS and JPEG for others.

5) We don't know how it will convert EPS to JPEG.

Others spoil colours completely. Looking at your innovation style, I can predict that it will be even worse.

IN TOTAL: this DOESN'T look as convenient innovation at all. And you're forcing us to use it anyway. So tell at least what you will get for this?

P.S. If this is not a late 1 April joke, you're just putting a spoke in wheel of our bicycle and I cannot understand why. We're the ones, who pedal this bicycle, but you're also riding it! If you will fall and break it, we will ride further on another one even though we did like this one more.

6 minutes ago, Voin_Sveta said:

Dear Shutterstock,

I feel that you're NOT RESPECTING people who are making money for you, as you warned us just 3 DAYS before.

1) I will need to spend a lot of time changing lots of files that are already drawn. Contributors usually draw content not for tomorrow, but for months ahead, you know.

2) I need to throw away all the complex art I already drawn and draw some icons for you.

You know, it's written in JPEG file, that "You will no longer need to provide when you upload". And you didn't invent any alternative, so to say something false like this makes me remember 1984 of Orwell, when they increased dose of chocolate. You cannot say "WE MADE IT EASIER", if you just deleted something and didn't give alternative. Anyway we're making it for all other micro stocks, so no profit for us in this "innovation".

This one new EPS file will take much more space in my Mac than 2 files that were before. But actually now I will need to make 3 files. One BIG for you, and 2 ordinary EPS and JPEG for others.

Others spoil colours completely. Looking at your innovation style, I can predict that it will be even worse.

IN TOTAL: this DOESN'T look as convenient innovation at all. And you're forcing us to use it anyway. So tell at least what you will get for this?

P.S. If this is not a late 1 April joke, you're just putting a spoke in wheel of our bicycle and I cannot understand why. We're the ones, who pedal this bicycle, but you're also riding it! If you will fall and break it, we will ride further on another one even though we did like this one more.

+1000

13 minutes ago, Voin_Sveta said:

Dear Shutterstock,

Thank you for this post, very well said, sums up all the arguments.

This is very frustrating. Can't they at least tell us WHY???

Anna, tell your Shutterstock management how it will be:

1. The author draws a complex vector illustration in the optimal size.
2. The author INCREASES a size.
3. The author SIMPLIFIES the details in order to meet the 50 mb limit.
4. Buyer downloads the simplified (!) illustration.
5. Buyer REDUCES (!) a size to work with layers more comfortable.

The question is WHY do we need all of these stupid extra actions for the contributor and the buyer?

19 minutes ago, Voin_Sveta said:

Dear Shutterstock,

I absolutely agree. It's extremely frustrating, you're basicly depriving your authors of their voice. Like we can sell on Shutterstock, but we have absolutely no rights, we can't change anything. Why? You consider your contributors dumb or mentally impaired? I suppose it's even called gaslighting since you make us feel miserable and make it look like you're doing that FOR US. What about your buyers? Are they gonna be happy getting all those huge files and trying to edit them? Does this make sense? Are you shure there will be no complaints?

Зачем усложнять авторам жизнь! Ломается наработанная схема работы для многих авторов! Я бы предложила Шаттерстоку уважать своих авторов и покупателей и дорожить ими! Вы не сделали загрузку векторов проще, для многих вы всё усложнили...

36 minutes ago, GMMaria said:

WOW, you are really angry, guys, glad I am not into vectors...:o 

Let me give you an example so you could understand our anger: imagine that after increasing file size limits for photos to 50MP you're allowed to load photos no less than 200MP. Or another one(ever better): lets say that 100MP PSD file is required along with .jpeg but the file limit is still 50MP...

Can you please write new recommendations for contributors who use Inkscape?
If the situation stays the same I won't be able to send my new vectors to Shutterstock. Other agencies do not have such bad ideas. 😱

https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/kbat02/000006662?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle
When using Inkscape or CorelDraw, please be sure to make your artboard size no longer than 600 pixels on the longest side.

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/size-matters-how-to-avoid-a-too-large-or-too-small-vector-rejection
If you’re creating vectors using Inkscape, we recommend you submit your vectors no larger than 400px on the largest side. Inkscape does not retain the dimensions of the artboard when saved down to Ai EPS 8 or 10. Saving it at 400px by 400px will ensure that your vector will open on the artboard for our customers.

51 minutes ago, Voin_Sveta said:

Dear Shutterstock,

That's absolute truth! I Agree 100%!

Hi Shutterstock!

I'm a video content contributor so I'm writing here on behalf of my wife who has been contributing as a vector artists for more then 3 years. She is just speechless, sitting at the couch shocked and frustrated.

My wife constantly works on improvement of the quality of her images because she loves developing her skills, trying new things, new trends etc. Her eps files become more complicated. Sales shows it does pay back!!! so you are interested in the her progress as well, I suppose. If she increases her 500x500 pxs files to 4000x4000 pxs, it will be much much MUCH more then 50 Mb!!!

I used to work in advertising business for many years both at the agency and as a freelancer art-director. And I would be shocked if a vector picture I bought from the stock appeared to be 4 MP! You know freelancers are working everywhere (on the go, at the cafe, at the beach, at the hotel, at the plane, etc). So if I'm buying now a vector image from you, I must be sure my internet connection is perfect enough (which is obviously not always as easy for the freelancer as for the designers in the office). I also must be sure my software will manage opening a new vector file without any problems which is not always guaranteed with the big file if I'm a freelancer and working on my small notebook instead of sitting next to my iMac at home or at the office. Especially when you understand that there is absolutely no sense in this big files for vector images!!!-(((

Bad bad BAD idea!!!

I have been a contributor to SS for several years. Honestly, I know changes are always tough to many people, but in this case this is a hurdle for many of the contributors and most of the complaints here are justified. 99% of SS contributors do not upload only to SS, so you are forcing us to apply this new size standard to all of our vectors from now on (I do not think anybody works with such large vector dimensions) or redimenison them exclusively for you before uploading, which is time and energy consuming (I still do not know if I will find a way to do it automatically). I kindly suggest you do not implement this new requirement if what you really want is making things easier for contributors instead of disencouraging people to keep up contributing to your agency.

Best regards,

All I can say is that after this perfect innovation I won't be able to upload any of my complex vector designs to Shutterstock because all of them are bigger than 50Mb with 4Mpix resolution.

- - -

Please sign the petition to show SS how many contributors are not agree with their "innovation": https://www.change.org/p/shutterstock-cancel-the-limitation-of-eps-files-to-4-megapixels-on-shutterstock