Anna Shutterstock

Shutterstock Has Made Uploading Vectors Easier Than Ever

I feel frustrated with this. I spend 2 days just by always uploading the same file, too small to reject, making a vector to 4MP makes the file so large and finally difficult to upload. Maybe the old way is the best solution, and this is really bad. 😌

Untitled.jpg

So i guess it was like this:

Guys came up with a bright idea, and went to the top management:

- look, easier than ever, they have been asking for it so let em have it.
management:
- really? they asked?
- yep.
- but i see some of them disagry.
- they are just ignorent fools, they dont get how good it will be, trust us, we are profesionals.

and after this innovation they'll start begging:

- hay we need more money, our servers cannot take the load, and we are loosing clients. Who knew, that vectors arent video and for some of our buyers is a real pain, to download and open icons or simple doodles 50mb each. Since all other platforms have exact same content and even more. Please dont fire us.

management:
- but whoose fault is it?
- the contributors, they are to blame, your highness.

The end.

Hey. Everybody. We are making a http://chng.it/9jxQDms5tM change petition. I'm not working with realistic vectors and the size grow horribly when the dimensions are increased. I don't think this is a good idea just to skip the image uploading. Why are you saying in the email that contributors ask for it? Just wondering

No words now ...

4MP and now we dont know what the allowed file size will be, all vectors are now a huge size in MB which is a bad thing for customers and contributors on low data plans or slow  internet. We have no preview of what a generated jpg will look like. The contributors now have to upload their metadata manually instead of having it imported via the attached jpg.  This was "postponed" and the "new" position of SS was less informative and just as flawed as the previous incarnation. 

I would suggest that the programmers and designers who came up with this "innovation" have a serious talk with "real" vector artists and graphic designers.

12 hours ago, Manon_Labe said:

You know, I laughed for the first time since Shutterstock brought up that idea. Thank you))

Did you think about 1st April Fool day, yes?

19 hours ago, Nadiinko said:

You make contributors do much more work with this innovation. Saying "Shutterstock Has Made Uploading Vectors Easier Than Ever" - you become like Russian politicians. You can't make black into white just by saying so!

George Orwell spoke English and wrote 1984 about Great Britain, not about Russia. This English write made popular such phrases as "War Is Peace", "Freedom Is Slavery", "Ignorance Is Strength". These are English inventions.

On 4/10/2019 at 12:58 AM, art_of_sun said:

Одно радует - даже бойкот объявлять не надо: все равно большинство нормально работы грузить не сможет после этого обновления.
Может быть хотя бы тогда они одумаются.

+1. Тоже подумал об этом

I'm not sure why they came up with this idea.This is the worst!!
I tried to resize my old file to 4MP and it's larger than 50MB now (old file size is 18MB).

What should I do now? Make only icon? One solid color art? or stop selling at shutterstock?

3 minutes ago, momojung said:

I'm not sure why they came up with this idea.This is the worst!!
I tried to resize my old file to 4MP and it's larger than 50MB now (old file size is 18MB).

What should I do now? Make only icon? One solid color art? or stop selling at shutterstock?

You can't do icons too, if you work in pixel perfect. Because when they stretched, they're out of pixel grid.

SS authors and buyers do not need such an update!
- loss of color, inability to add metadata in eps, extra volumes of large files! do not make extra problems to authors and buyers
- work with huge files is difficult and inconvenient for both authors and buyers

This is extremely sad decision. Bigger limit won't help, since there are files from 100 Mb to 1,5 Gb with a size of 4Mpx. Too bad you haven't  listen to so many people... I'm deeply disappointed and frustrated.

I wonder if SS has enough space to store files this big... but, oh wait, everyone will have challenges to make and upload the new 4mp files! So. no files - no space needed - no problems! Good job, SS! *sarcasm* 

Some people complained about too much images on SS... well, it seemes SS found a way to scale back the number of illustrations... but instead of scum it hit top authors with complex files. Good job, again! 😅

In the spring of 2020, Shutterstock will delight us with a new surprise:

'Good news, Everyone! We decided to reduce your rewards to 10 cents per picture, because we need to buy a lot of new servers to store your huge 4MB files'.

17 minutes ago, oleskalashnik said:

'Good news, Everyone! We decided to reduce your rewards to 10 cents per picture, because we need to buy a lot of new servers to store your huge 4MB files'.

2020 They will announcement a new innovation by 8 Megapixel EPS Requirement.

27 minutes ago, oleskalashnik said:

No, they will start slowly. First, they will cut the price of Extended License to rise our Earnings...

Wait, they already done it.

36 minutes ago, Swill Klitch said:

No, they will start slowly. First, they will cut the price of Extended License to rise our Earnings...

Wait, they already done it.

They lowered the price of Extended License, and sales of  Extended License disappeared completely

Ребята, что вы с векторщиками то делаете? Каким же огромным размером должны обладать файлы при таком артборде? Вы отказываетесь от реалистичных векторов, неона, бумажного стиля... По сути вычеркиваете их, все сложные работы. Если вы берете опыт Адоб сток, то у них есть возможность загружать в архиве епс плюс jpg и никто не заморачивался размерами артборда.  

Guys, what are you doing with vector artists? How big should the files with this artboard? You refuse realistic vectors, neon, paper style vectors .... If you take the experience of Adobe Stock, then they have the ability to upload EPS plus jpg in the archive and no one bothered with the size of the artboard before.

I cannot believe they are still going to implement this new system; 'revised timeline' is not a good idea, all the comments on this Forum say one thing, its is a unworkable set of criteria, this adds up to 1000's of years of experience, all saying one thing.

The raster version of the file no matter what the software engine they use to produce it, will not be anywhere near as good as contributors producing their own image.

The size thing is just completely bonkers.

Who is the person who is responsible for this, because they need to be removed from their position of responsibility, as they have significantly failed to understand exactly what a .eps file is, how they work and how designers use them.

I suspect it is someone who has never even clicked and opened a Vector file, they just sit behind a desk wearing a suit, looking at stats all day.

If Shutterstock go down this route, then on their heads be it, the noise on this Forum is unequivocal, PLEASE SHUTTERSTOCK don't implement these new requirements.

Hi, SS!

I like to make images for India and other Asian countries. My works are complex with using gradient meshes, lighting effects and so on. Indian customers like to buy these images. But now I think that many of these customers will have problem with loading and opening a huge vector files because they haven’t a powerful and expensive equipment for working with files 100-200 Mb. These customers will be lost and it’s no sense to work in this direction. Please give us the possibility to choose option for uploading