Anna Shutterstock

Shutterstock Has Made Uploading Vectors Easier Than Ever

Corporations tend to shoot themselves nowadays. After upload rating drop stocks will go down rapidly and investors will fire someone. Shutterstock will lost some positions and influence. And maybe then things will get better. What a wonderful idea - make life harder for those who make your profit. Let them suffer! They should stop providing new content. Rewrite their scripts, programs, start to put keywords manually only instead of drawing. Sounds good, huh? Just like other corporations in 2019. 

And then, of course, RESTRUCTURING. We do not understand, why, but for some reasons our corporation is tanking! Clearly don't know, why! Who could even predict?!

Oh, I know what I will do next. I will work as usual. Then I will write a simple upscale action. If my file fits 50Mb after it, then I will upload it. If not, I'll put it in a special LATER folder. Maybe I'll try to do something, when I have a free time or maybe just wait for SS to roll back their rules. At the same time I will upload all my works to competitors. Which are, obviously, have a greater interest about trendy complicated vectors. It is not the best way and I don't want to do it. But it's the only way to keep me, as a professional, and my portfolio evolving.

Hello! It's a bad idea! Now we have to load the work separately on the Shutterstock and other photostocks. This is uncomfortably for many authors😩

I write by means of the electronic translator therefore I ask to forgive my English.

Your innovations are simply awful!! Unless you do not need any more complex works? Also, the author has to create with own hand the preview for the works. It should not be automatic action. The automatic heartless system brings color distortions.

My studio creates up to 500 vectors per month. If you accept these conditions, my vectors will become 200MB in size. I will not be able to work with SS. Do not do this!!!

electronic translator

According new rules instruction for decreasing of size EPS  without lost of the quality.
Create presets with the smalest PPI, decrease Vector Balance and Mesh Resolution. It's ready. You can find more on the link Patreon.
The administration of Shutterstock  this is only "Kludge" and I continue to insist that you force us to think about some solutions which make life difficult for everyone. https://www.patreon.com/posts/according-new-of-25954888

This is absolutely Inappropriate for complex vector files. Shutterstock is making uploading vectors harder than ever and I won't be able to submit anymore! Please, undo that changes or leave an old way to upload as an option. 

Instead of fighting with spam, you through "innovation" increase the percentage of it. The most complicated works will be impossible to submit. And tons of spam will fill all. 

In my opinion, this is a big step back. You do not have enough expertise of your solutions and innovations from the contributors. All these updates are terrible in the opinion of all stockers I know.

Shutterstock Has Made Uploading Vectors Heavier Than Ever??

IMHO sorry but this new "improvement" will lead to the outflow of many of Shutterstock's contributors especially those who makes commercially qualitative meshes or effects. There is no way for those contributors to fit their scaled to the 4MP works into the 50MB EPS file. It's just physically impossible for some files. So basically increasing the EPS file size limit for uploading vectors to 50MB means nothing..

Plus this urgent "improvement" forces contributors (basically almost all contributors) to make double work if they had created their vectors in advance.

Why is this update so urgent? Why there is no time for contributors to adapt?

I don't understand these strange changes. If you want to create JPG by yourself, alright. More over, I think I know why. But! It’s vector. It doesn't matter how many megapixels it have. If you want some specific size, just create 4mpx JPG or much more bigger. There aren’t problems to do it this way

4 minutes ago, Sirin_bird said:

Do you know that many of the contributors Adobe and istock sell at the shutterstock level? Do you know that new microstocks are being created that will quickly catch up with microstock giants? Do you understand that now microstockers have a choice where to sell their work? And by your actions, many refuse to cooperate. And your favorite contributors will be forced to leave: (This is very very sad :( Why do you not take into account the opinions and wishes of the contributors?
Sorry for my english

Lovely patterns in your portfolio, Olga. ))) 

6 hours ago, Leremy said:

I oppose this idea strongly. This requirement is not good and will cause BIG PROBLEMS to both artists and buyers.

I usually create my stick figures, icons, and artworks in certain sizes and standards. Many of these vectors will be reused and modified for future vectors. With these new requirements, that would means all my previously made vectors (8 years of work) are unusable unless they are resized. This will be very messy and my design space will no longer be standardized. I cannot imagine how am I going to carry on working on new vectors.

The buyers will also have big problem as well. Imagine an icon buyer that usually buy from the same artists all along found out that all the new icons are no longer the same size as his previously bought icons. It is very difficult for the buyer to resize the new icons back to the desirable dimensions that matched the old ones.

Shutterstock, please consider removing all these new requirements totally. It is not exciting at all. It is scary and worrying.

This is exactly my problem as well. You cannot expect artists to resize all their  new icons to accommodate with your requirements. I want my old and new icons are designed in 30x30px always because my workspace is catered for that. If you force me to have 4MP at least, that would make my work flow all mess up. Please stop this drastic change of requirements.

It's so awful. My work in the resolution of 4 megapixels weighs more than 250 megabytes. I don't even know what to do.😪 I will not be able to load more neon work. I am very upset. 😓It would be better if everyone loaded the previews as before and made them themselves.

This will be a total disaster. It simply does not make any sense. EPS 10 file size is proportional to artwork scale size. I just re-sized a best-seller which was 14.9MB and made a 4MP artboard and re-saved as EPS10. The file size was 130MB. 

Shutterstock, are you reading this? Again, this will be a total disaster.

Even a relatively simple mesh object with several mesh elements put one on another and plus texture (sometimes a lot of texture) for more realistic look can be quite big. To make a set from such objects I need to decrease a size of artboard sometimes in several times. And here I’m talking about 470px square artboard. My relatively simple mesh sets won’t be needed size.

You will lose a lot of authors who make realistic content because as it was said here before it is technically impossible to decrease the size of mesh vectors without decreasing artboard size.

HI! Some of my current works don't fit in 50MB, if I enlarge them to 4Mpx. And I'm planing to do more complex works in nearest future. It means, that I can't upload them to Shutterstock. Please, reconsider you decision, and leave the opportunity for us to upload vectors as before.

I remember when Shutterstock allowed EPS 10 instead of EPS 8 it became the leader in new interesting illustrations among all other agencies.
After this change, many new and interesting illustrations will not be available for download. Difficult pictures with Mesh Gradient, Blend, etc. with such sizes will weigh much more than 50 MB

Hello! It's very bad news!
I have 50 new files prepared according to the old rules. I won't be able to upload them until April 8th, I have a upnload plan.

I do not understand why a vector image should be limited to such a framework. This is a vector. Its meaning is that it scales!

I like most authors write metadata to the jpg file. I work not only with your stock. Even if you learn to read metadata from eps file, will others do it? Or it does not concern you? In addition, it is not very clear how to write metadata to the eps file. The program that I use for this is written only in jpg file. I know that Adobe Bridge writes metadata to vector files. Does this mean I need to buy another program just for this?

And the last. It is very ugly to announce such changes right before they take effect. It looks like disrespect for the authors.

6 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Thanks again for the input everybody.  

When we make these changes next week, keywords and descriptions in the EPS EXIF data will not be imported with your files. However our team is working on this as their next priority. We're working to start importing your metadata with your EPS files in the coming weeks. Thanks for your patience.

@Lost Mountain Studio Vectors that are pending review will be reviewed and published without issue. On Monday, when the new 4 mp dimension requirement goes into effect, each EPS file will be checked when you upload it. If your artwork is too small, you'll get an error message on the upload screen (or on the Submit page, if you uploaded via FTP). 

That is, you do not care about the opinion of the authors and you still implement these idiotic changes ??? It seems that Shatterstock is doing everything to make life as difficult as possible for the authors! 

I will tell you a terrible secret: there is no need to make EPS file size 4 mpx. The software allows you to make a JPG file of any resolution from the smallest EPS file! For example, a free script Vector Inspector Pro for Illustrator! And your programmers with a million budget are not capable of it?

Do you understand that nobody works with such a huge EPS file size? You just waste space on the servers !!!

And again you are introducing an unfinished product with incomplete functionality ("...keywords and descriptions in the EPS EXIF data will not be imported with your files...")!

Vector_inspector_Pro.jpg