Anna Shutterstock

Shutterstock Has Made Uploading Vectors Easier Than Ever

13 minutes ago, gigello said:

Это решение кажется хорошим и работает ... но этого качества будет достаточно для клиентов? приведет ли это к общему снижению качества?

there will be a decrease in the quality of the preview

11 minutes ago, gigello said:

This solution seems fine and it works... but this quality will be enough for the customers? will this lead to an overall quality decrease?

Well, it's unknown, how SS plans to generate preview. Generate or just take from EPS, lol. I bet, they will do it the worst possible way. It's just experience... Anyway,

1) Dragging Raster/Vector balance to Raster gives you a worst quality.

2) Dragging this sliders may vary the file size differently. Depends on the file.

3) It will not help in many cases.

4) Resulting preview on SS with be worse than if you created it by yourself in any case. Look at Bigstock - they can't generate previews or fix it for over 10 years.

1 hour ago, Swill Klitch said:

Well, it's unknown, how SS plans to generate preview. Generate or just take from EPS, lol. I bet, they will do it the worst possible way. It's just experience... Anyway,

4) Resulting preview on SS with be worse than if you created it by yourself in any case. Look at Bigstock - they can't generate previews or fix it for over 10 years.

Yep, unless SS will just make 4MP screenshots since I can't see other reason for such size requirements. And since they advise not to include the CMYK profiles to the EPS files -  it only confirms my guesses. But if I right - color render of previews will be totally depend on their color preferences

I can't see any achievement. I only see problems. I don't need this kind of "innovation".

Uploading vectors was easy. Now it's gonna be complicate. Stop this immediately, please!

Dear Shutterstock, this innovation is not convenient either for contributors or customers, since associated with a lot of problems in the eps files and the increase in file size. In addition, it leads to a decrease in the download of new, high-quality contributor content. Just cancel this decision 😉

Apparently, this 'brilliant' idea is needed only by Shutterstock itself. They wants to simplify the automatic generation of raster previews, with a minimum load on their processors, due a 1:1 unified scale. Shutterstock simply did not take into account that 'optimization' will cause damage both contributors and buyers.

Shutterstock perceives all our serious warnings like a funny capricious panic. I think they will realize that this is a gross mistake only after they feel the outflow of buyers to other microstock rivals.

4MP artboard in Illustrator? That's like an A1 paper size artboard. That is huge.

The thing is, Illustrator considers the artboard to be at 72 PPI for size purposes, but the effects could be at 300 DPI and thus the size of the EPS becomes too big.

An A1 artboard at 72 PPI is 1684 x 2384 = 4.01MP but if the raster effects are at high (300 PPI) resolution, that's 7016 x 9933 = 69.68MP. Same artboard, two different MP counts.

Also, importing an A1 EPS vector on almost any application will result in a huge graphic element that will have to be resized by the client.

Please reconsider this change.

It is really bad news for contributors and customers as well. Do you understand that these new requirements are kind of filter which is sifting out complex and interesting artworks preventing them from being uploaded to Shutterstock? Massive amount of single icons, simple ugly vectors without textures and gradients, etc. Only this kind of content will be suitable for your new requirements. Are you really planning such kind of future for this platform? To become low quality nano-stock?

Damn, guys. If you continue such kind of changes AdobeStock will eat major part of your market very soon. Good luck to them.

Oh, I came up with an elegant solution to save the new rules! Shutterstock, you only need to equip your clients and your authors with quantum computers! Then giant EPS vectors can be created, stored, opened and edited.

But even in this case, 50 MB is too small for a technically complex vector composition. And we have to manually insert the keywords. And automatic rasterization will kill the color and effects.

But it's not scary, we will strive for the level of skill in your example, and create gorgeous, simply amazing, incredibly attractive yellow stars for content buyers!  

And everyone will be happy.
Although Shutterstock's competitors are already happy. I'm sure they've already opened the champagne.

Just noticed that vectors now have to be RGB. What a nonsense! I always used CMYK for the vector and RGB for the JPG because you can't print from a RGB vector and CMYK JPGs aren't displayed properly on the web. The change only makes more work for the customer.

11 minutes ago, Oliver Hoffmann said:

Just noticed that vectors now have to be RGB. What a nonsense! I always used CMYK for the vector and RGB for the JPG because you can't print from a RGB vector and CMYK JPGs aren't displayed properly on the web. The change only makes more work for the customer.

It looks that these changes were proposed by people who never worked as a professional graphic designer and know nothing about the industry standards. Or I don't know how to explain this fiasco.

Just simple example of "automatically generated JPG" by one of stocks that accept only EPS and generate previews by itself (at left - preview I've made for SS, at right - automatically generated preview). That's what Shutterstock going to do for us?

Screenshot_3.jpg

On 4/5/2019 at 1:28 PM, Anna Shutterstock said:

Why make this change? 
In our original post, we didn’t really clarify WHY we’re making these changes. My bad! 

For years, vector contributors have been asking us to allow uploading of an EPS file on its own with no JPEG preview. After we looked at the survey of feature requests from vector contributors, the ability to upload EPS with no JPG was always near the top of the list. (The other top request was more general: “make uploading easier”.) The core reason we are making this change, is because contributors asked us to.

Can we start the petition list for those of us that don't want this then? Anybody that produces a large quantity of files probably already has a system for producing jpegs and keyboarding their files. They don't need you to try to batch process what will most likely end up being inferior jpegs that don't have embedded keywords. You aren't the only game in town, so creating special rules and unnecessary steps is a hassle to regular vector contributors. We already have enough hoops to jump through.

22 minutes ago, Cory Thoman said:

Can we start the petition list for those of us that don't want this then? Anybody that produces a large quantity of files probably already has a system for producing jpegs and keyboarding their files. They don't need you to try to batch process what will most likely end up being inferior jpegs that don't have embedded keywords. You aren't the only game in town, so creating special rules and unnecessary steps is a hassle to regular vector contributors. We already have enough hoops to jump through.

The petition for now have signed 1261 contributors. Please, feel free to sign it also. https://www.change.org/p/shutterstock-cancel-the-limitation-of-eps-files-to-4-megapixels-on-shutterstock

I guess, this number is already huge and it is definitely not final. I wonder, if SS would listen to us?

4 hours ago, oleskalashnik said:

Apparently, this 'brilliant' idea is needed only by Shutterstock itself. They wants to simplify the automatic generation of raster previews, with a minimum load on their processors, due a 1:1 unified scale. Shutterstock simply did not take into account that 'optimization' will cause damage both contributors and buyers.

Shutterstock perceives all our serious warnings like a funny capricious panic. I think they will realize that this is a gross mistake only after they feel the outflow of buyers to other microstock rivals.

My " funny capricious panic " forced me to create list of work that I will NOT UPLOAD on SS, just at other agencies .  :D 

We have made some exciting new updates on how you upload vectors to Shutterstock.

Making uploading vectors and earning money easier than ever!

Starting on April 10, 2019, Shutterstock will automatically create a JPG for your vectors. You will no longer need to provide a JPG when you upload. We have no idea how bad it will look, but as you have seen, we have already ruined the statistics page, the web upload tool, and others. According to our data, you have begun to use the upload tool much less, and the statistics are now incomprehensible even to us. We think that with the JPG-preview will be the same.

Our programmers ┐('~ `;)┌ know raster graphics well, but they don’t understand anything in vectors, so now we will measure the height, weight, and size of the vector in pixels! Our managers lead them to success!

Now our priorities are simple icons! Complicated graphics, realism, textures can not even try to load, we have been testing our algorithm for a long time – it will be simply impossible.

We know that not all corners of the planet have a good Internet, as the files will be three times heavier, downloads will be longer, files will be harder to store, downloading files will become a much harder procedure! Files will become harder to edit, not all kinds if computers will handle that. Is not it a great idea? This is a truly professional approach!

****stock Contributor Support Team

>:–/

26 minutes ago, Franzi said:

So I just uploaded a very simple, small EPS (360 x 468 px) with a large JPG. The system recognized it as one image. Pressed "submit", waiting... 

Is the old system still working? I hope so!!

Did anyone else try?

I submitted few today in the  " old way ". Status Pending approval  - together with ones that I uploaded yesterday.

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all your feedback, which we are closely reviewing! In light of the information that has been shared here, we are postponing the implementation of the 4MP requirement as we continue to look into ways to accommodate the needs of all artists and their artwork. We should have another update tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Anna Shutterstock said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all your feedback, which we are closely reviewing! In light of the information that has been shared here, we are postponing the implementation of the 4MP requirement as we continue to look into ways to accommodate the needs of all artists and their artwork. We should have another update tomorrow.

Thank you!

Все помнят анекдот "купи козу - продай козу"? Сами создали проблему на ровном месте - сами её отменили. Нехитрый способ осчастливить всех на ровном месте.

Адоб-Сток, ты зря закупил два грузовика шампусика.