Shutterstock Has Made Uploading Vectors Easier Than Ever

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a great vector from Ecco. https://www.shutterstock.com/image-vector/big-collection-spring-summer-colorful-flowers-1301017918?src=pdxYEDqm-1P8UpFlOpwRWA-1-7 Here's the illustration ins

Posted Images

Hi, everybody
I just think about one more problem.
Let's say I drew a picture with meshes and blends. Let's say I managed to reduce it to 70 MB and 2000x2000 artboard. To reduce it even more and upload it to Shutterstock - I will reduce the number of steps in blends. Let's say I put 20 steps. 
Then Shutterstock generates a jpg preview from my EPS where blends have 20 steps. What happens? This preview will be awful with rough edges! Nobody buy this image :( 

Most of my illustrations do not fit in 50 MB. I don't know how to reduce them except to give up textures, shadows and realism. 
Please give us the opportunity to create a beautiful images, and do not solve technical problems!

Good afternoon, dear friends. I always remain neutral with Shutterstock innovations. however, now I can not be silent. I think this innovation disgusting! did we deserve such disrespect? This is the most unfortunate update for all the years of my cooperation with the company. I am a creator! and today they come to me and say "we will take away from you everything that makes your work comfortable) enjoy" to my disappointment there is no limit. Thank you for depriving us of the creative process and making us feel pain and inconvenience. I very much hope that management will reconsider the prospects for innovation.

4 minutes ago, Maricris Mabingnay said:

Hello! I just want to ask. Is the size of jpeg previews important? I mean should it be large even for those simple vectors? Does it affect sales? I dont mean to be rude, its just that Im always uploading 5 to 10MP. 

Your vectors can be sold as raster illustrations too, and I always assumed that what is sold in that case, is the previews that we provide... but perhaps i'm wrong.

9 minutes ago, Maricris Mabingnay said:

Hello! I just want to ask. Is the size of jpeg previews important? I mean should it be large even for those simple vectors? Does it affect sales? I dont mean to be rude, its just that Im always uploading 5 to 10MP. 

No, preview size doesn't affects sales In general. 15MP jpeg are suitable for all microstock agencies.
I came with comfortable for me 500x500 artboards and 1000% generated  .jpg previews

14 minutes ago, L.DEP said:

Your vectors can be sold as raster illustrations too, and I always assumed that what is sold in that case, is the previews that we provide... but perhaps i'm wrong.

10 minutes ago, Oleksii Arseniuk said:

No, preview size doesn't affects sales In general. 15MP jpeg are suitable for all microstock agencies.
I came with comfortable for me 500x500 artboards and 1000% generated  .jpg previews

Thank you!!! It's just that I'm wondering why do I have low sales with 13k vectors+. So, when I saw your post, I thought its because of my jpg previews. 

Here's one of my best selling images. This image was even used by a multi billion $$ Korean corporation Haitai in their packaging of almond chocolate. I am very proud of this one. However, with these new "improvements" and "easier than ever" I will not be able to upload my work to Shutterstock anymore. As you can see, this vector file size went from 3 megabytes to 160 megabytes when I have tried to make it acceptably for Shutterstock under the new rules. And as I have tested most of my best selling images, none of them fits the new requirement. Please reconsider.

Untitled-1-01.png

On 4/5/2019 at 12:28 PM, Anna Shutterstock said:

Hello everybody,

1. However, we are continuing to explore our options to create high-quality previews from artwork with smaller dimensions.

2. After we launch these changes next week, we all need to continue to work together to find the sweet spot.  I ask that you give it a try… see how it goes. Can your creations be sized to meet these requirements?  And reach out to us with more examples of what isn’t working. 

3: Without the JPEG, my metadata won’t be imported.

Yes, this is going to be uncomfortable for a few weeks. I know. It’s our team’s next priority, and we will waste no time in resolving this.

Our plan is to allow embedded metadata in the EPS files to be imported with the image, just like we do for JPEG illustrations and photos (and yes! Videos will be coming also!).

Here's my idea, you made the change, without thinking about the size and problems, you promise to adjust. You don't know about keywords, but you're working on that.

Why not stay with the old system until you have the pixelation problem worked out? Wait until you can include metadata and wait until you have the plans of what's "coming soon" finished, before announcing a poorly thought out, partial solution to a problem that isn't a problem.

Until you have a complete solution, a working solution, to replace what is offered now, a new plan is jumping ahead of the value and efficiency. You are putting a burden on every artist with a half-baked plan that promises changes and better to come. Priority, Promises, sweet spot? Make it work, then come back and implement the changes.

When you have that all done, then announce the change, not a broken, not working version, which might change and might have features, as developed.

Pass it on please. If it's not broken and you replace the working system with one that doesn't work and is missing parts, you have done nothing but create complications, problems and barriers.

This change is premature and poorly thought out.

21 minutes ago, Maxal Tamor said:

I make all my jpeg 15 MB, and they suit for every sites.

But I'm curious how many of us have already sold a jpeg made from an eps and attached to this eps ...
Personally, this has never happened to me. The only utility I find in the attached jpeg file is its ability to support IPTC data.

In Shutterstock there is no way to know what has been sold, Jpeg or EPS, on some other platformes you may find this info.

and I've sold raster Jpeg quite often so it's happening more than you think...

Anyway, with this new requirements the EPS is TOO BIG, and the raster JPEG is TOO SMALL... and we can't embed the keywords,

This is really absurd.

I am not a lawyer, and may not exactly understand the problem. But! You are going to sell under my authorship image that I did not do! This is a modification of the image without my permission. Who will be responsible for the quality of the automatically generated JPG? If the buyer requests a refund due to poor quality? I will lose not only money, but also reputation!

even 50 MB is a huge size for an EPS...

You need a monster computer memory to handle such mammouth.

it will take ages to open in any other software than illustrator.

That's the very point of interest of this format, you can have very complex and sophisticated objects for a very small size. And you can modified every one of them at will.

Don't kill that power.

Shutterstock, I am morally prepared to live without you. Five days was enough for that. Because it is just simple not fair to act like this with people who are feeding you. My feelings are deeply hurt. You have written something about working together, so this is how you imagine it - you suddenly decide to make stupid changes which are completely not profitable for anyone and we must be silent like lambs and cope with it, "to be patient"? This is not "working together".

2 hours ago, L.DEP said:

In Shutterstock there is no way to know what has been sold, Jpeg or EPS, on some other platformes you may find this info.

and I've sold raster Jpeg quite often so it's happening more than you think...

Anyway, with this new requirements the EPS is TOO BIG, and the raster JPEG is TOO SMALL... and we can't embed the keywords,

This is really absurd.

Thank you. In fact I have no idea about :)

Sorry guys, but this is a spectacular mistake. 
No one expects your programmers to know everything about vectors and your graphic designers probably don't have to deal with the agencies' requirements on a daily basis, but why for heaven's sake don't you ASK us then???
You have hundreds of talented and experienced illustrators right at your fingertips - many of us have been around for more than 10 years - and *everyone* could have told you in less than 10 seconds that this is a very bad idea. No "extensive testing" needed. 

On 4/3/2019 at 8:06 PM, Anna Shutterstock said:

To calculate your megapixels, multiply the X (width) by the Y (height) of your image or artwork. For example: 2000 x 2000 pixels = 4 megapixels.

I assume you are talking about minimum EPS source document dimensions?

Because "pixels" & "vector" can't stand in the same line.

Starting on April 10, 2019, Shutterstock will automatically create a JPG for your vectors. You will no longer need to provide a JPG when you upload. 

• Your JPG preview will be rasterized to the dimensions of your EPS .

•  

In which final resolution will be rasterized : 72,150 or 300 pixels/inch ?

Namely, the final JPG dimensions depends of the input resolution!!

- 2000 x 2000 - 72 pixels/inch - final JPG dimension will be 2000 x 2000 pixels ( 4 megapixels )

- 2000 x 2000 - 150 pixels/inch - final JPG dimension will be 4167 x 4167 pixels ( 17,36 megapixels )

- 2000 x 2000 - 300 pixels/inch - final JPG dimension will be 8333x 8333 pixels ( 66,15 megapixels )