Shutterstock Has Made Uploading Vectors Easier Than Ever

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a great vector from Ecco. https://www.shutterstock.com/image-vector/big-collection-spring-summer-colorful-flowers-1301017918?src=pdxYEDqm-1P8UpFlOpwRWA-1-7 Here's the illustration ins

Posted Images

It seems to me that in the discussions on past "improvements" the authors made a suggestion: ask for help from contributors. Choose top authors of different directions (photo / vector / illustration) and test your super-duper ideas. Even a banal survey in the mailing list for authors will be useful.

If you need to show activity, then just ask the contributors how you can make their lives easier. You are given a lot of ideas that your programmers and managers can take their time with.

1 hour ago, Eminor b5 said:

I think your team has some kind of “deadline” to launch “something” for some achievement or another reason.

Seems legit.

I thought the same. This is a new XXI century style of work - corporations teams work only for shareholders, who look only at graphs and not go into the details.

Not for clients. Not for contributors. Not even for employees. 

Only for shareholders! These are changes for shareholders only, they are bad for everyone else, but some part of Shutterstock's fee (maybe the most) is shareholders's money! The more stocks price, the more profit Shutterstock can achieve.

And then things get worse. Cause it's easy to achieve this aim - just add this ability without getting out the old one. But such decision make only people who don't listen to anyone, they tell 'job must be done at any price' and continue looking at graphs. These people are CEOs. They get millions of dollars each one. They don't care. I think Shuttorstock CEO doesn't even know what vector is.

And the team can't refuse. They try to avoid conflict of interests, but they can't. So they have only one option - obey the CEO's decision. Which was, I think, 'replace the old system to the new one completely. I'll fire anyone who disagree'. 

I understand the team's problems and sorry if I told a little too much, just wanted to clear the situation. 

23 minutes ago, iNegar said:

I think it's more obvious that the matter is simple 

So I guess there is a mistery beneath the case maybe.

May be (for example) they want to test how much we love shutterstock right a way.😉

No mystery here. Just incompetence. I'd fire people, who make such things happen with my business. Someone constantly make things worse - dashboard, statistics and now this. They hit the production line, while there were a lot of better options. Hit the quality, while competitors get the advantage. Really, SS. There's a lot of competent professionals out there.

It is at least strange to see programmers deciding what size and complexity illustrator and designer must do their vector works also received by other designers. Vector files mind you. Making work harder for professionals doing more complex works and easier for those who does simpler works sound like a good idea only on first glance and thought. In reality it will cripple sales and downgrade overall quality of portfolios. Also many designers will be forced to add opaque background to their works just to ease burden of counting pixels (!) in vector (!) files. Dear SS management please give us a choice not to use that "easier" option.

10 minutes ago, Pure Sight lab said:

Seems legit.

I thought the same. This is a new XXI century style of work - corporations teams work only for shareholders, who look only at graphs and not go into the details.

Not for clients. Not for contributors. Not even for employees. 

Only for shareholders! These are changes for shareholders only, they are bad for everyone else, but some part of Shutterstock's fee (maybe the most) is shareholders's money! The more stocks price, the more profit Shutterstock can achieve.

And then things get worse. Cause it's easy to achieve this aim - just add this ability without getting out the old one. But such decision make only people who don't listen to anyone, they tell 'job must be done at any price' and continue looking at graphs. These people are CEOs. They get millions of dollars each one. They don't care. I think Shuttorstock CEO doesn't even know what vector is.

And the team can't refuse. They try to avoid conflict of interests, but they can't. So they have only one option - obey the CEO's decision. Which was, I think, 'replace the old system to the new one completely. I'll fire anyone who disagree'. 

I understand the team's problems and sorry if I told a little too much, just wanted to clear the situation. 

Shareholders were misled, no one is willing to lose their money due to the outflow of authors and buyers, just think about 10 files = 500 megabytes, 20 files = gigabytes, despite the fact that in many countries traffic is still worth the money, which client wants to spend money on a vector of 50 megabytes if there is no need for this size.

Just now, Wildrabbit said:

Shareholders were misled, no one is willing to lose their money due to the outflow of authors and buyers, just think about 10 files = 500 megabytes, 20 files = gigabytes, despite the fact that in many countries traffic is still worth the money, which client wants to spend money on a vector of 50 megabytes if there is no need for this size.

Indeed, and later the market will drop, but CEO will already get his money while Shutterstock lost it's money. So this is a situation where everyone will loose, except one person.

1 hour ago, iNegar said:

I think it's more obvious that the matter is simple 

So I guess there is a mistery beneath the case maybe.

May be (for example) they want to test how much we love shutterstock right a way.😉

IMHO the mystery is about invested money. How should the "improvement" team say the SS head that they has allocated money to the crappy improvement?

1 hour ago, Uniyok said:

It seems to me that in the discussions on past "improvements" the authors made a suggestion: ask for help from contributors. Choose top authors of different directions (photo / vector / illustration) and test your super-duper ideas. Even a banal survey in the mailing list for authors will be useful.

If you need to show activity, then just ask the contributors how you can make their lives easier. You are given a lot of ideas that your programmers and managers can take their time with.

Totally agree. I wonder why does Shutterstock never involve it's contributors to the development and researching process. And even if some contributors are involved - I bet that they are not the best ones...

Dear Shutterstock, please learn to listen to the people who are actually experienced in vectors. Not a single of them so far said it's a good idea or makes their work easier. Everyone is stating that this idea is just a huge fiasco of yours. I do not know what kind of "extensive testing" you did, but clearly it was not any close to being "extensive", as most artists will no longer be able to upload their designs because they won't meet the size requirements. Cancel this innovation before it's too late.

You guys are gonna have a huge slowdown in vector uploads. Why you won’t listen to your contributors I don’t know. I mean, clearly you’re reading all of this, because you felt the need to defend yourselves about knowing what vectors are.

Anywho, the petition will hit 1,000 contributors this morning. I’m sad to see the once loved Shutterstock becoming so awful, but there you are.

well... 4MP for a raster jpeg is very poor anyway.

I usually associate a 16MP jpg at least with my EPS... And i'm sure that most of my fellows vector artists here have the same standard in that matter.

It will be a huge loss in size and quality for the buyers.