Anna Shutterstock

Shutterstock Has Made Uploading Vectors Easier Than Ever

We have made some exciting new updates on how you upload vectors to Shutterstock. 

Starting on April 8, 2019, we will require the dimensions of your EPS files to be at least 4 megapixels. We will be measuring the dimensions of the bounding box around your art - not the dimensions of your artboard. Here is what we mean:

Artboard-vs-Bounding-Box-v2-notext.jpg

To calculate your megapixels, multiply the X (width) by the Y (height) of your image or artwork. For example: 2000 x 2000 pixels = 4 megapixels. We have also increased the EPS file size limit for uploading vectors to 50MB, making uploading vectors easier than ever.

Starting on April 10, 2019, Shutterstock will automatically create a JPG for your vectors. You will no longer need to provide a JPG when you upload. 

Here are the details on this new release:

• On April 8, 2019, all EPS files will have to be at least 4 MP.
  • On April 10, 2019, a JPG will automatically be created for your vectors when you upload.
  • The new EPS file size maximum is now 50MB.
  • Your JPG preview will be rasterized to the dimensions of your EPS .
  • If you save your EPS in RGB mode with CMYK PostScript, your JPG preview will be rendered in CMYK mode. This may result in some slight color-shifting. Therefore, we recommend you to not include the CMYK PostScript in your RGB files.
  • Your vectors will still be available for sale as JPGs. 

This process is being updated to make uploading easier than ever as contributors with Shutterstock. We can’t wait to see what content you upload next! 

How can I create keywords and add to a vector BEFORE uploading on shutterstock? Usually I used JPG keywords.

As people down below, I deeply opressed with these changes and feel terribly. You can see that contributors aren't happy at all, so these are changes against us. We enjoyed the old system. We see many troubles with the new one. And we need to work hard and change lots of things in our work just to deal with it, so it's completely opposite of "uploading easier than ever"

Dear Anna, I'm the author of 80% light effect portfolio, which are very well sold on Shutterstock. My vectors are pretty heavy, but with a size of artboard 100px*100px, they scale down to a couple of Mb. But since you decided to make it from 4 Mpixels they are gonna be from 120Mb and more...

Are you ready to eliminate all light effect portfolios on your site with such an approach? I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do?

I don`t think that my work will become "Easier Than Ever" after these changes.

1. Why do I need a limit of 4 megapixels in the size of a vector file? This is a VECTOR file - size in megapixels doesn`t matter to the user. But now I have to count megapixels. And I have a wery bad arithmetic.

2. Why do you remove the need to upload a JPG-file? I have metadata attached to it. Without this file I will have to add metadata manually on the Shutterstock website. But I need to upload my works on other stock-sites.

It's very bad idea!

1. If I make a complex 4 MP picture, it will be more than 50 Mb.

2. If I want that preview to be 20 MP, I schould to do 20 MP EPS, it will be much more than 50 Mb! 

3. Now I schould to prepare images for Shutterstock and other stocks separately. Big EPS for Shutterstock and small EPS+jpeg for other stocks

Sorry for my english :)

A lot of my works will be much more than 50 MB in this resolution! Do you understand the essence of vector graphics? What are 4 megapixels ??

What about metadata? Will I have to add everything manually to each file???

Now I have to do separate work for the Shutterstock, because the other stocks have there own requirements.

Guys, can you ask contributors first before making such changes?!? And even more: could you think before you do something?

Guys, did you beta-test different types of vectors? For flat style, or doodle drawings it's more or less not a problem. But for complex photorealistic drawings and light effect vectors it's a disaster. Like literally I'll no longer be able to download my best selling content. And this is way more serious than situation with watercolor. The biggest part of my portfolio are light effects. Just try tags "star", "light effect" and you'll see that all these vectors are not scalable to your demands.

Please, just check it up!

All,

Thanks for your feedback so far. Our extensive testing showed that these file size / dimensions guidelines will accommodate the vast majority of submissions. We are able and willing to make adjustments to the guidelines if they aren’t working. 

8 minutes ago, Jeff D. said:

All,

Thanks for your feedback so far. Our extensive testing showed that these file size / dimensions guidelines will accommodate the vast majority of submissions. We are able and willing to make adjustments to the guidelines if they aren’t working. 

Can you just undo these changes?

2 minutes ago, Jeff D. said:

All,

Thanks for your feedback so far. Our extensive testing showed that these file size / dimensions guidelines will accommodate the vast majority of submissions. We are able and willing to make adjustments to the guidelines if they aren’t working

I am not interested in your "extensive testing". I said that many of my works will be more than 50 MB in this resolution! What are you offering me? Stop working with Shutterstock? Or to draw only icons? And what about metadata? Is this "easier than ever"?

Dear Shutterstock, I am the author of realistic vector graphics. I tried to change my files of 100px * 100px to the new requirements of 4mp and now I have to throw them into the trash bin, since they do not fit the requirement of a maximum size of 50mb. The authors will not be able to physically load images with light effects, mesh grids, transparencies, overlay modes.
They come out very heavy in weight. Please reconsider your updates.
Please leave us the opportunity to upload files as before: Eps with no size limitations and jpeg previews.

1. You can make an option to get metadata from JPEG, but render and use a preview on your own from EPS.
  2. You can resize vector on your own from ours files, did you know, that vector is a scalable thing, did you?

It'd solved all the problems: we could upload the same files but you'd have high-res vector and your own JPEG.

But I wonder why I believe you'll change nothing in the end... Maybe because you refuse to undo these changes after literally 100% of contributors in this topic have opposed.

15 minutes ago, Jeff D. said:

All,

Dear Jeff, I love being Shutterstock contributor and I'm grateful for this option. I see two possible decisions in this situation: 1) If your really want to make your authors life easier, is there any chance you could make these last requirements optional? The problem is (in my case) that size of my works grows extremely high if I scale them up to 4 Mb. 2) Could you make exceptions for certain types of works? (Well, like mine - light effects and complex realistic drawings, others if there will be demands)

Dear Shutterstock,
As someone working in Inkscape, my vector files have to be less than 4 Megapixels in order to be accepted (see your own article here: https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/size-matters-how-to-avoid-a-too-large-or-too-small-vector-rejection)

Does that mean I can no longer contribute to Shutterstock? 
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's using a vector editing program other than Illustrator.

That's really not a clever idea. It is going to complicate lives a lot.

I've sold over HALF A MILLION vectors here and I'm a veteran so I really know what I'm talking about: for complex vector with a lot of blend effects, transparency and lights Sometimes I even use 50 x 50 px dimension....If I upsize it just to 500 px side I experienced to see dimensione going up to 200/300 MB... can't imagine to deal with 4 megapixel dimensions...All the top seller will probably quit uploading new complex vector and you're ending up having only vey simple vector uploaded.

And the MOST IMPORTANT thing is: How can we attach keywords to an eps???? Actually we all attach th keywords to the jpg.....why shall complicate our lives?

Please let us know,

Best Regards

So that went over well....

Are files submitted before April 8 and in the review queue going to be allowed through under the old guidelines?

I'm just getting started in vectors and have prepared a number of files that I have not submitted yet.  Will I need to resize them?

How are you planning on dealing with the meta data that is going to make this "easier"?

Fully support previous authors. Your innovation will complicate work for everyone. Sophisticated work will stop to load, you will lose the top authors. And discourage the desire for beginners to ship something complex.

I oppose this idea strongly. This requirement is not good and will cause BIG PROBLEMS to both artists and buyers.

I usually create my stick figures, icons, and artworks in certain sizes and standards. Many of these vectors will be reused and modified for future vectors. With these new requirements, that would means all my previously made vectors (8 years of work) are unusable unless they are resized. This will be very messy and my design space will no longer be standardized. I cannot imagine how am I going to carry on working on new vectors.

The buyers will also have big problem as well. Imagine an icon buyer that usually buy from the same artists all along found out that all the new icons are no longer the same size as his previously bought icons. It is very difficult for the buyer to resize the new icons back to the desirable dimensions that matched the old ones.

Shutterstock, please consider removing all these new requirements totally. It is not exciting at all. It is scary and worrying.

Thanks again for the input everybody.  

When we make these changes next week, keywords and descriptions in the EPS EXIF data will not be imported with your files. However our team is working on this as their next priority. We're working to start importing your metadata with your EPS files in the coming weeks. Thanks for your patience.

@Lost Mountain Studio Vectors that are pending review will be reviewed and published without issue. On Monday, when the new 4 mp dimension requirement goes into effect, each EPS file will be checked when you upload it. If your artwork is too small, you'll get an error message on the upload screen (or on the Submit page, if you uploaded via FTP). 

Just now, Kate Shutterstock said:

Thanks again for the input everybody.  

When we make these changes next week, keywords and descriptions in the EPS EXIF data will not be imported with your files. However our team is working on this as their next priority. We're working to start importing your metadata with your EPS files in the coming weeks.

are you saying you will expect EPS to contain keywords?

But eps-8 is not supporting it as far as i know

Posted (edited)

I know a few microstocks, who make their own previews from JPG. They all ruin the colors. And I'm pretty sure, SS will do this too now.

Let's stop leading the industry, right?

I also agree with all critics above. You can't stay within 4 megapixels with hand drawn snowflakes or mesh shadows or something else more or less complicated and fit it to 50Mb. Metadata is a real problem, which you created first. You really could think twice and get a better solution.

Edited by Swill Klitch
more ideas

I understand problems for those who draw vector 'lights". But for me new rules look JUST PERFECT. I draw mostly shapes with no effects and do not use metadata.