Hi,

I have just started being a contributor to Shutterstock about a week ago and uploaded my first photos. I am curious how long would it take before I can start earning something from my portfolio? I assume it is individual , but what would be some realistic expectations?

8 hours ago, Natasa2018 said:

I am curious how long would it take before I can start earning something from my portfolio?

Really good images, provided they're described and key worded properly, could start selling right away.  There's nothing technically that says they couldn't.  Practically-speaking, you only have 5 images so far in a total database of more than 260 million.  You have some nice work, but it's a needle and SS is the haystack.  A very large, bloated haystack.

You will need to submit a lot more work before you have a chance again - practically-speaking - of having your work discovered.  How long that takes is up to you. 

well. 5 pictures of chicago that probably have been done before to death is a hard question to even give a answer tpo. Best advice is get a 1000 Minimum that are unique and Not just snapshots that anyone can do and ask again. Best and most Honest answer I have.And also Alex gave a right answer. theres 280,000,000 + Images here. think about that. search whats here for what you wanna do and say they go do it better or More commercial.

Your metadata (descriptions and keywords) needs a LOT of work.   It doesn't matter how many images you have in your portfolio, if you don't have good metadata none of them will ever be found, and thus never be sold.  I can't believe the "experts" didn't mention that critical problem with your images already.  Do some research on how to write good metadata and then go back to the drawing board and begin again.  Good luck.

19 hours ago, Natasa2018 said:

.... what would be some realistic expectations?

The average Shutterstock yearly earnings is $0.50 for each image in your portfolio.

Hey Leonard, I haven't seen anyone post a figure like that.  Very interesting.  Do you mind if I ask your source, or is that pretty much just conventional wisdom among experienced contributors?

16 minutes ago, bmphotographer said:

My earnings do not reflect this at all. Either i'm way off average or you're just making up some statistics...

Same here. 

I only do video but my average in 2018 was $6.12 per clip in my portfolio.  That's 12x more than his number.  So is a video clip 12 times more valuable than a photo?  I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to upload my vast archives of photos already on my drives. 

6 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Same here. 

I only do video but my average in 2018 was $6.12 per clip in my portfolio.  That's 12x more than his number.  So is a video clip 12 times more valuable than a photo?  I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to upload my vast archives of photos already on my drives. 

Yes, videos usually sell for much more than photos. For photos you will mostly get $0,25 per image or slightly more if you reach an earning threshold.

I've never gotten more than 1,90 for a photo.

5 hours ago, Leonard Whistler said:

The average Shutterstock yearly earnings is $0.50 for each image in your portfolio.

4 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

Hey Leonard, I haven't seen anyone post a figure like that.  Very interesting.  Do you mind if I ask your source, or is that pretty much just conventional wisdom among experienced contributors?

4 hours ago, bmphotographer said:

My earnings do not reflect this at all. Either i'm way off average or you're just making up some statistics...

In this thread started by mandritoiu. Shutterstock 2018 stats published today.

Take a look at these two charts.

• Average portfolio size: 400
  • Yearly revenue/contributor: $200

Actually there is absolutely no way to predict what you will earn. Each port is different, some images sell more than others, sales of other contributors cannot be applied to your port. The only thing to do is upload more images, get the keywords correct, use the keyword suggestion tool and hope for the best. And the more topics you have the beter or you have to be really good in one thing.

But come on, I'm making 12x more with my video clips than than the average contributor is making per photo per year.  To me, that is a significant difference to consider, no matter what.  Especially when the time it takes to process and submit would be about the same.

Hey , I want to thank you all for your comments, all are very useful to get at least some idea about everything for the start. I agree that my number of photos is small, but I have just started and of course I plan to upload more. I was thinking let's put some smaller number and see how it goes before putting more effort into uploading large number of photos, but now from your comments I realized I had the wrong strategy - and that to get noticed I need a larger portfolio. So I will start working on that, and improving other things you mentioned. Thanks!