Sign in to follow this  
fadeout

no downloads so far

I took a quick look at your portfolio and I have a few random thoughts.  Take them for whatever hey are worth . . .

I like the nice colors and subject matter of most of the clips.

I see some clips with fluctuating exposure.  That's a big problem and will prevent professional editors from buying those clips. Always use full manual exposure.

A lot of clips seem too dark and/or too contrasty. Work on your grading.

Too many shots are handheld for no reason.  Use a tripod next time.

You have too many keywords and a lot of them are not relevant or are so generic they will not help your clips be seen.

Your descriptions aren't descriptions. They are just keyword phrases and that's not the same thing as a good description. Work on your metadata skills.

It takes time to get results and 200 clips is not very many. Hang in there and keep working on it.

I hope that helps.

19 hours ago, Barry Paterson said:

With my portfolio of 900 clips, I average about 1 video sale every 2 months or so. Assuming my sales rate is typical, with your 191 videos you should expect one sale every 10 months or so.

Those numbers are very low.  Until recently I had 4900 clips in my portfolio and was averaging 50-60 downloads ($2200) per month.  Now that I have upped my number to 7000 clips this winter my numbers are inching up towards 70 downloads this month ($2500 already).

With 900 clips (unless they are new) you should be seeing 10-15 downloads per month if the clips are good and you've got good metadata to back them up.  You're doing something wrong if you're only getting 1 download every two months.

On 3/28/2019 at 11:58 AM, Doug Jensen said:

With 900 clips (unless they are new) you should be seeing 10-15 downloads per month if the clips are good and you've got good metadata to back them up.

I think that depends completely on the subject material.

51 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Of course does. But then why waste valuable time on subject that won't sell?

No one knows what will sell.  This just sold as a $168 EL:

stock-footage-four-american-goldfinches-

Should I have not shot and submitted it because it's not something that traditionally sells?

Didn't turn out to be a waste of time for me.  

2 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

Of course does. But then why waste valuable time on subject that won't sell?

You shoot what you have available. Some subjects might be less sought after than others, but if a clip sells just once for $23 it's worth the effort, IMO.

For what it's worth - I've looked through your images port, and majority of it is repetitions of same subjects; you probably have about 15-25 unique subjects (unique to your portfolio) from 455 photos right now. Most of subjects are very common (beads, cacti, plants in pots), there are thousands of those in the database already. It will be very hard for you to compete with such images.

On average, people here tend to sell about 4% of their port per month (some much more, some much less). With 25 unique subjects that's about 1 per month for you.

Composition on many shots is not that great. You do have some nice shots, i like this one: https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/stone-jewellery-lots-different-stones-colorful-1344537014?src=pYeCMJhDrX9KM_Buug7-0w-1-12

But having said that, this image (along with others) is lacking keywords and description. If buyers cannot find your photo, they wont be able to buy it.

Good luck.