On my way to $30,000 this year

Today I crossed the milestone of $170K in lifetime earnings, But I have not met me goal of earning $100/day in 2020.  Right now my average is $93.72 per day so December will have to be a killer month if I'm going to catch up.  But considering how Covid has disrupted so many businesses this year, I guess missing the goal ought to be expected.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I almost didn't notice that I passed the $180,000 lifetime earnings mark this week.  The money just keeps rolling in even though I haven't had time to submit anything new since last year.  Gotta love

I've had the recent pleasure to interview straight-shooting @Doug Jensen over at the Brutally Honest blog, where he provides valuable information on how to make it as a stock footage contributor in th

And focusing on the positive, that is still $3595 in Jan./Feb. that came into my pocket for doing nothing extra.  If I had gotten pissed off and closed my account or had some other knee jerk reaction

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Today I crossed the milestone of $170K in lifetime earnings, But I have not met me goal of earning $100/day in 2020.  Right now my average is $93.72 per day so December will have to be a killer month if I'm going to catch up.  But considering how Covid has disrupted so many businesses this year, I guess missing the goal ought to be expected.

But you - once more - have already left the $30.000 behind you. Which I would regard as very successful.

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

I would have expected that your RPD would also decrease due to the new revenue structure. Which obviously is not the case.

January is when my RPD will drop.  When the new structure kicked in last June I already had enough sales to retain my same percentage so it didn't effect me.  I will feel the pain on my first 200 downloads in January and February while I climb back up to 30%.  I figure I'll make about $3000 less during those two months.

My best day this month was $538 and I've had six days over $200.   And 9 days under $10, with half of those being $0.  And I never used to make anything on the weekends, but now Saturdays and Sundays look just like every other day of the week.  The ups and downs from day to day still surprise me.  You'd think it would be fairly even, but it is not.

57 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

My best day this month was $538 and I've had six days over $200.   And 9 days under $10, with half of those being $0.  And I never used to make anything on the weekends, but now Saturdays and Sundays look just like every other day of the week.  The ups and downs from day to day still surprise me.  You'd think it would be fairly even, but it is not.

My best day at shutterstock this month was $105. My best day ever at shutterstock was only half as good as your best day this month. This year I had two days where I earned $0. But the weekends still are always much worse than the weekdays for me. Not only here, but at all agencies. This has not changed for me in all these years. As far as the ups and downs are concerned, I totally agree with you. That surprises me again and again.

As far as the beginning of the year or the first half of the year is concerned, I am curious myself. I will probably have reached my former level (before the new earnings structure was introduced) by the end of January/beginning of February. But for the new higher level 5 it will take me quite a while. No idea how high the losses will be. I will report.

• 4 months later...
On 11/28/2020 at 9:29 PM, Doug Jensen said:

January is when my RPD will drop.  When the new structure kicked in last June I already had enough sales to retain my same percentage so it didn't effect me.  I will feel the pain on my first 200 downloads in January and February while I climb back up to 30%.  I figure I'll make about $3000 less during those two months.

Was your prediction here correct Doug?

If you don't mind sharing, how has the new payment structure affected your earnings?

12 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

You're not going to believe this, but I was almost right on the money.  In 2020 I earned $6562 in January and February.  In 2021 I earned $3595 during those two months.  That is a difference of $2967.  So my forecast was only off by $33. 

Sad but true, statistically, you nailed it. 👍

24 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

You're not going to believe this, but I was almost right on the money.  In 2020 I earned $6562 in January and February.  In 2021 I earned $3595 during those two months.  That is a difference of $2967.  So my forecast was only off by $33. 

Well done.  I have no doubt at all with regard to your expertise, which is why I've always enjoyed reading this thread.

And focusing on the positive, that is still $3595 in Jan./Feb. that came into my pocket for doing nothing extra.  If I had gotten pissed off and closed my account or had some other knee jerk reaction to the changes at Shutterstock I'd be $3500 poorer today.  I have been so busy with other work that I haven't even had time to upload anything new since last summer, and all that passive income coming into my PayPal account is just icing on the cake.  I planted the seeds years ago and the harvest just keeps coming and coming.    I've got backlog now of over 4500 new 4K clips that need metadata, so one of these days I'm going to have to get serious about getting those submitted. 

3 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

Thanks for sharing this information, Doug.

• 1 month later...

I almost didn't notice that I passed the $180,000 lifetime earnings mark this week.  The money just keeps rolling in even though I haven't had time to submit anything new since last year.  Gotta love this business.  I don't think I'll hit $200K this year, but next winter for sure.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 10.31.38 AM.png

39 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Wow! Congrats, Doug. An impressing achievement!

An RPD of more than $30 is impressive as well for me who doesn't offer videos.

Thank you.   BTW, your comment about RPD inspired me to run the numbers for this year to date.  It has fallen to only $21.14 now so things are deifinitely on the downslide.  But of course I haven't had time to upload anything new for a while, so maybe an aging portfolio can't be expected to earn as much as it once did.  Too many moving parts to really come to any conclusions about anything.  The only constant is that you havet plant your seeds and then hope for the best.  At that point, you are just passenger on the boat.

5 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

Thank you.   BTW, your comment about RPD inspired me to run the numbers for this year to date.  It has fallen to only $21.14 now so things are deifinitely on the downslide.  But of course I haven't had time to upload anything new for a while, so maybe an aging portfolio can't be expected to earn as much as it once did.  Too many moving parts to really come to any conclusions about anything.  The only constant is that you havet plant your seeds and then hope for the best.  At that point, you are just passenger on the boat.

That's a dramatic drop in RPD, Doug. 30% is a lot. And I'm very sure that has nothing to do with you not uploading enough new stuff. It might affect the amount of your downloads, but not the RPD. That's probably due to a higher proportion of subscriptions in the video section. Combined with the new revenue structure. But since I don't have videos, I can't say for sure.

Still, your RPD is about 30 times as high as mine. Maybe that will comfort you a little.

I wish you many more good sales.

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

That's a dramatic drop in RPD, Doug. 30% is a lot.

Not only that, my overall income is also down about 30%.  So things aren't as rosy as they once were here at SS.

I wish you continued success as well. Get out and shoot some video! :-)

6 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

I wish you continued success as well. Get out and shoot some video! 🙂

Doug! I'm happy for you! 
I have a drop in RPD on video of about 80%. The introduction of a scale (and I don't have a lot of sales) and the introduction of a subscription. All this nullified the desire to develop in this direction.

Perhaps someone has retired after working as an operator all his life and who has a good camera idle that allows you to shoot with high quality and in various conditions. It makes sense for such a person to shoot, it makes no sense to specifically strive for this activity now. Therefore, it makes no sense to agitate, who can do this, he has been in this for a long time.

The new system here hit the newcomers in the first place. Even on the photo, the blow was not so disastrous.
1) From the photo I received 25 cents at least, now 10 cents. (в среднем это снижение меньше чем по видео на первых уровнях).
2) It is easier to go to high levels by the photo.
3) Photos are much less demanding on the camera, lighting and other equipment.
4) Photos are easier to edit and fix in post production. It does not require a powerful computer, Internet and archiving space.

My sales this year most often happened around 50 cents per video, and the maximum was around $ 7.
All this would be justified if sales increased significantly (before the introduction of the subscription). But this did not happen and I do not see an explosive number of video sales from anyone.

I think, Doug, if you had to plant seeds in an open field now, you'd be thinking hard. Despite the fact that you have experience, there are topics for filming and there is equipment.  

Since, in addition to the catastrophic decline in prices with the formation of a deep valley of death, risks arose in connection with the threat of further dumping in this market.

I have to agree, that subscription totally turned my RPD to lowest ever... We are paying this transition, that`s for sure... right now, RPD is about 1/3 what it was before... sadly, mathematics is simple and totals follow this trend... as soon any of buyers find those `benefits`, they move in that direction without returning back... SS needs 3x more buyers or them to buy 3x more through subscription(will never happen, because subscription are cheaper with higher needs for more files monthly, annually)...