On my way to $30,000 this year

2 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

If that is the case, I would disagree as it's a massive and ever-changing market. 

You are exactly right.  And what YOU shoot and what I shoot are barely ever going to overlap.  We all have our own interests, locations, styles, etc. There is room for everyone who wants to do stock footage. But some people will never succeed.   You can lead a horse to water  . . .

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is said not to compare apples with pears, and this should be taken into account when comparing pictures and videos. At first sight, my figures seem to confirm Doug's theories. I currently have the

I got interviewed for a Shutterstock article on shooting wildlife and nature shock footage. https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/capturing-stock-nature-videos' But the best news is that 2020 is

No one in his right mind would deny that the return on video is undeniably much higher than with photos. The other advantage is that you can extract frames from a 4k video, especially with a camera

Posted Images

Just now, Doug Jensen said:

You are exactly right.  And what YOU shoot and what I shoot are barely ever going to overlap.  We all have our own interests, locations, styles, etc. There is room for everyone who may hear my voice.   You can lead a horse to water  . . .

You just have to tell your story. Who can, who wants one will draw conclusions. Everyone does their job.
I think you should not laugh at someone’s income without having been in their shoes.

3 minutes ago, Sergei Tim said:

I think you should not laugh at someone’s income without having been in their shoes.

I challenge you to show me a contributor with good footage and great metadata who is not making decent money.  Do they exist?

If you put the pieces together properly the machine will generate a steady income.  Simple as that.

4 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

I challenge you to show me a contributor with good footage and great metadata who is not making decent money.  Do they exist?

If you put the pieces together properly the machine will generate a steady income.  Simple as that.

You can tell millions of people in India. When you tell them that they don’t want to take a good camera, learn to take pictures - they will consider this rich uncle to not know their stories, not to know their problems and they will consider it a mockery.

You have been doing video for many years, the time will come when many will switch to video. They will earn more than you. Everything has its time.

27 minutes ago, Sergei Tim said:

They will earn more than you. Everything has its time.

Yes, we can agree on that. But I will be making more, too, so its all relative.  As they say, a rising tide lifts all boats.  Of course, if someone chooses to stand on the shore or try sailing in a leaky little dinghy, well, they might not participate in the glorious riches to some.

1 hour ago, Patrick Cooper said:

But you do make up false statements about contributors performance and post such lies on a public forum.

Mr. Cooper, I'm still waiting for some examples. If you want to lower yourself to making personal attacks and throwing around accusations you should at least have the courtesy of providing some examples.

5 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Personal attacks?? All I'm doing is presenting the facts. You know what your guilty of.

You haven't presented any facts.  You made a statement.  Pity you don't know the difference. So give us examples of my lies and false statements otherwise I will report you. Or you can delete your slanderous posts. Your choice.

On SS, my clip average for 2019 so far is $23.53 on 1586 downloads.

Image average on SS for 2019 so far is $0.62 on 1679 downloads

I'm pretty sure Doug has advocated video and said shooting stills is not worth his time compared to what he already makes with video, I don't think he's flat out told anyone to stop shooting stills, correct me if I'm wrong. I, like him, would rather shoot what brings higher consistent returns when it comes to shooting RF stock which, some people may not like to read this, is video. If you enjoy shooting stills and are successful there is no harm in applying that same work ethic, style and production value to video where the returns, I hate to argue with anyone, are ultimately higher. I moved from stills to video and don't regret it one bit. 

My top earning image on SS alone has sold 1017 times and hasn't even earned $625 in its lifetime on SS.. My top selling clip has sold 231 times on SS and has made over $4.7k in its lifetime on SS.. Using my top selling content as an example, I don't know how much clearer the difference in returns in each format needs to be. Why are people picking at someone who is showing huge insight into earning potential of a format that not many contributors want to touch or learn about

3 hours ago, icsnaps said:

I don't know how much clearer the difference in returns in each format needs to be. Why are people picking at someone who is showing huge insight into earning potential of a format that not many contributors want to touch or learn about

No one in his right mind would deny that the return on video is undeniably much higher than with photos.
The other advantage is that you can extract frames from a 4k video, especially with a camera with all-intra compression.

In my case the problem is laziness. For an untrained person like myself, grading is a very big deal, no, it is impossible.

Most of the time I shoot at least one video at each photo session but there is always something I don't like on it, so I never upload them. Correcting shadows, cloning out some elements like a sensor spot, forgot to fill the frame, these are impossible things to do for me. On my last shoot I should have clean the dirty fingernails of the lady who was making pancakes on the street, an easy task on a photo. How should I do that on a video?

I think many people have the same problems when starting out in video, it is a new chapter and a steep learning curve that takes time.

For some people it is easier to adopt a defensive position than accepting the real reason. I don't think anyone really wants to pick at Doug specifically.

I admire his results too and I hope next year he will share his new experience with the Panasonic S1.

16 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

My average this year is $31.97 with 963 downloads.

The only reason I posted mine was because it was asked the post above. For comparison. And I agree, video is the way to go. But apparently I (and many others) get a larger number of the $1.50 video sales than you do. So it's great that you make more on average, but it's not the norm since my income from video is on par with the person who asked above my last post (I believe it was Milo but I didn't go back to look). Maybe when the number of clips increases the totals will increase as well. We'll see. I dove more into video this year shooting more with each photo session (0r at least most of them) so I'm hoping for a higher return next year. I still don't do much in the way of lifestyle so that probably limits me as well.

5 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

My final tally for 2019 was $31,786.07 so I made my goal, but just barely.  And with that, I will now retire from the forum and get some work done.  Bye.

congratulations! I hope one day to get those numbers and I hope you continue here with your valuable advice! Happy New Year!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

I got interviewed for a Shutterstock article on shooting wildlife and nature shock footage.

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/capturing-stock-nature-videos'

Cracks me up how they used a landscape clip to illustrate "minimal depth of field". I suspect that particular Zion shot was supposed to be illustrating something you might have said about grading, which didn't make it into the article.

6 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

I got interviewed for a Shutterstock article on shooting wildlife and nature shock footage.

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/capturing-stock-nature-videos'

But the best news is that 2020 is off to a great start and I'm averaging more than $100 per day so far.

Congrats to both, Doug - the interview and your great start!

• 1 month later...

On January 1st of this year I set a goal of earning $100 per day for 2020 just from Shutterstock (including weekends, which usually have zero sales). And with two months finished I'm ahead of my goal by 7%.  I'm averaging $107 per day and February was my third best month ever at $3585.  That is a 85% increase over February 2019.  Of course, I have a 50% bigger portfolio now than last year at this time, but sales were up 85% so that is a solid increase in ROI per clip.  This is a great business.

Clips that I submitted after March 13th 2019, the day I released my how to make money shooting stock footage workshop, have already earned over $10K, which proves it is not too late to get started.