Dave Safley ModernPics

Shutterstock vs iStock

in 4 months, the only positives I can give to IS, are things that I'm not sure is really valuable.

1) grouping of image in sets. 

2) rejections much better explained, and chance to resubmit if only need change

3) more performance info.  

that said all the negative from upload process,  the 3 cents download,  and the inability to edit existing keywords really makes it feel really bad.  

the one thing is I do seem to get interaction from some countries where I get not much here.  

6 minutes ago, jean-francois.me said:

in 4 months, the only positives I can give to IS, are things that I'm not sure is really valuable.

1) grouping of image in sets. 

2) rejections much better explained, and chance to resubmit if only need change

3) more performance info.  

that said all the negative from upload process,  the 3 cents download,  and the inability to edit existing keywords really makes it feel really bad.  

the one thing is I do seem to get interaction from some countries where I get not much here.  

One thing about IS keywording is that it does stop the ability to have an image reviewed then going back and adding a lot of spam keywords

5 minutes ago, Maurice James Dawson said:

One thing about IS keywording is that it does stop the ability to have an image reviewed then going back and adding a lot of spam keywords

i have never had IS complain about totally irrelevant keywording created by there system, so why would it be an issue after the fact? 

so is that a bigger issue than making sure your customer find what they need?

What I mean is that on SS once your image is reviewed you can then go to the catalog manager and add completly irrelevant keywords to the image which you cannot do on IS

20 minutes ago, Maurice James Dawson said:

What I mean is that on SS once your image is reviewed you can then go to the catalog manager and add completly irrelevant keywords to the image which you cannot do on IS

where as at IS I can put irrelevant keyword upfront 

35 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Need to get to the first pay bump of 33cents asap as makes a big difference, relatively speaking

I am still at the aiming for a payout level lol - although having a much lower set of targets than most people does take some of the pressure off.

Interesting Fact

istock is owned by Getty Images, which was founded by Mark Getty - brother of John Paul Getty III.

4 hours ago, Mirco Vacca said:

Hi Dave, 

Based on what people report on MSG forum with more then 120 votes SS gives even more return per month then IS exclusives. 

I submit to both and SS brings me about 4 times more. 

Mirco

Snap!  as of todays (Feb) earnings from IS - It is currently 25% of my March SS earnings

2 hours ago, jean-francois.me said:

i have never had IS complain about totally irrelevant keywording created by there system, so why would it be an issue after the fact? 

so is that a bigger issue than making sure your customer find what they need?

I'm not keen on their keyboarding as some words don't appear in their database - i.e game drive, and also latin names for some animals - or it reverts the latin name back to the common name - which is already in the keywords.

I averaged $0.40 per image there this month - which sounds ok, but when you see you only get $0.02 for some - it breaks your heart!!!

31 minutes ago, Laura Kneedler said:

Just got ESP royalties - $2.15 for three downloads.  Yup!  My kid's going to college!

Haha! I don't even know what ESP is.

11 minutes ago, paula french said:

I'm not keen on their keyboarding as some words don't appear in their database - i.e game drive, and also latin names for some animals - or it reverts the latin name back to the common name - which is already in the keywords.

I averaged $0.40 per image there this month - which sounds ok, but when you see you only get $0.02 for some - it breaks your heart!!!

do you know todayis20.com?

one of most depressing things here is box - you earned X getty sold

SS has twice the port size than my IS

IS has had about 25% of the sales volume of SS, but about 50% of the income value. 

although feb stats show $2.60 on 5 sales, one of which was $0.14 😕. $0.52/download average.

does an "interaction" on the Statistics page = a download??

5 hours ago, Juan Enrique del Barrio said:

I have a lot of sales that are paid at 0.02 cents.

I was getting a few $.01 sales there.  After about getting 3 or 4, I pulled my entire port completely out of there.  Plus, there was a time when I had similar sized ports here and there and had zero sales there.  For one whole year.  IS and AL, both owned by GTY, are pretty damn near worthless in my view.  

42 minutes ago, alison1414 said:

Haha! I don't even know what ESP is.

ESP: "Extra Special Penny".  It's how they try to convince you that the 1 cent commission you just earned is worth all the hard work you put in for uploading there. ;) 

My revenue per download was $0.67 on IS last month versus $0.55 on shutterstock this month.  So iStock is actually giving me more income per download than SS is.  My Feb. total revenue is higher than what I've earned so far on SS this month.  IS still seems to pretty consistently be about 75% of shutterstock income.  I hate the 1 and 2 cent downloads too but as long as the overall revenue per download stays up where it is, I'll put up with that and take the extra cash.  It seems everybody's port varies depending on your type of content.  For some reason I even do reasonably well at Bigstock and I know most don't but I get almost nothing out of Alamy.

2 hours ago, Phil Lowe said:

ESP: "Extra Special Penny".  It's how they try to convince you that the 1 cent commission you just earned is worth all the hard work you put in for uploading there. ;) 

Aha! Thank you. I never have submitted there after all the horror stories.