Dave Safley ModernPics

Shutterstock vs iStock

Loaded Topic, so be nice 

But wondering if anyone has contributed significantly to both Shutterstock and iStock and be able to comment which platform returned the best investment, traction with licensing - Pro / Cons?

We love Shutterstock, but also have an account on iStock 

Best, 

Dave

Similar size portfolio on both and SS can range from 5 to 10 times more per month. To put this into context though, some months that is because IS has done very well compared to normal, not because SS is flying! Number of sales is a different story though as IS pay half the rate SS does so they would need to sell twice as many licenses as SS to pay the same.

7 minutes ago, Mirco Vacca said:

Hi Dave, 

Based on what people report on MSG forum with more then 120 votes SS gives even more return per month then IS exclusives. 

I submit to both and SS brings me about 4 times more. 

Mirco

Mirco, 

Interesting - Thanks for the info, I really do not have much in the way of images contributed to either, just a few images testing out the platforms. 

But so far, SS has shown returns, I do like the community here and the interface is quite nice. 

Best, 

Dave

4 minutes ago, Matt Gibson said:

Similar size portfolio on both and SS can range from 5 to 10 times more per month. To put this into context though, some months that is because IS has done very well compared to normal, not because SS is flying! Number of sales is a different story though as IS pay half the rate SS does so they would need to sell twice as many licenses as SS to pay the same.

Got it, quite interesting - Thanks for the feedback!

Dave

18 minutes ago, Mirco Vacca said:

Hi Dave, 

Based on what people report on MSG forum with more then 120 votes SS gives even more return per month then IS exclusives. 

I submit to both and SS brings me about 4 times more. 

Mirco

Holy cow did IS fall that far? Exclusives used to report much better numbers.

Not fair to compare Exclusives to the rest of us. When I had the same images on both, or close to the same, SS was still the best by far.

The IS is a shame. I have a lot of sales that are paid at 0.02 cents. Is that fair? I'm thinking about leaving IS, but I have a lot of work there that at the end of the month or every two months you get some money that is very good. In SS, I do 6 to 10 times more than in IS. Even a good month in SS is 15 times more. Sorry for my English is a google translator. SS is the best by far of all the agencies.

Just now, Dave Safley ModernPics said:

But so far, SS has shown returns, I do like the community here and the interface is quite nice. 

The interface on the ESP website is shocking. A confusing mess.

26 minutes ago, Dave Safley ModernPics said:

I will have to say, I do like SS interface, and ESP needs some work - Concur 

its really interesting in 21 century. Its old i think just a year or two. dont understand why they in IS do ESP like we know. hate it :)

1 minute ago, chris kolaczan said:

That was my thought too. I always looked at the exclusive numbers at IS and wondered if I made the right decision to ditch them.

Yeah I think last year the way it added up was, if you took all the agencies with 50 votes, which is all that showed and added them, that was what IS exclusive totaled. That's why I'm so surprised. Might just be a beginning of the month thing and some higher earning haven't voted yet? If not, that's an interesting downturn.

Same uploads to SS and IS.

Result ($$) is nearly same, with very slight advantage to SS. 

But interesting, the sold photos on both platforms are totally different. 

Must be very different customers or very different algorithm of search engine. 

Same uploads to SS and IS.

Result ($$) is nearly same, with very slight advantage to SS. 

But interesting, the sold photos on both platforms are totally different. 

Must be very different customers or very different algorithm of search engine. 

Dave,

concerning the income SS is much better for me. Between 2 and 4 times more than IS, although I never noticed a 0.02 $ download there. The difference even was much higher years ago, when I made nearly twice a much money a month here.

And, as the others wrote: The ESP upload process is a disaster! A time wasting monster!

Wilm

Just now, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Report is out tomorrow and he's see how many < 10cent downloads I'll receive...

So they make 25c look generous?

On iStock I make about 75% of what I make on Shutterstock.  I get the 2 cent subs there too but I also get the odd $2.00 sub so the average sub sale works out to about 55 cents which works out a bit better for me than SS subs.  They have a really bizarre method of calculating sub prices so I'm sure it can vary widely depending on who you are selling to.  I do hate their uploading and keyword process though!

On ESP you should use DiepMeta to upload. Is a lot better than the website

And I can't compare the 2 yet been on SS since 2012 but only on IS since january