Raimonds Kalva LV

What happened, why no sales?

4 hours ago, Dinesh Hukmani said:

50 images sold so far in this month and counting.

No videos though.

Waiting for that one video sale that gets me closer to $ 35, my minimum payout and towards the $500 landmark.

13 more days to go in the month. :)

Unfortunately, these days, that one video sale could score you $1.50.

7 часов назад GregDPhotos сказал:

Хлоп. Как часто вам добавляют фотографии?

6 часов назад Брейди Баррино сказал:

Нет, чуть больше дня. 

Только в этом месяце я возобновил работу над ss, у меня не было 10 месяцев (у меня не было новых фотографий). Из-за того, что я думаю, мои продажи не было, у меня было 400 фотографий, в этом месяце я добавил более 400 фотографий. Надеюсь, продажи начнутся в следующем месяце!

Would be very nice of SS to provide some updates or some basic info on WHAT they actually do to the search engine (or whatever they chance) because it is clearly affecting sales.
Whether it is related to overall activity, region or 'freshness' of the content, I believe, contributors should be notified of changes.

If I have to be more active or to upload more frequently or to do something else in order to appear in search and to get more sales - that's fine!
I just want to know WHAT to do. And I think it would fair to at least let contributors know what is going on.

Right now my march downloads are equal to what I had years ago when only started selling on SS (which is ridiculously low).

BS, really 😒... 
If things carry on going this 'contributors friendly' way then SS will loose to AS even faster...
Which is quite sad...

3 hours ago, Natalia Hubbert said:

Would be very nice of SS to provide some updates or some basic info on WHAT they actually do to the search engine (or whatever they chance) because it is clearly affecting sales.

It might be affecting your sales, but not Shutterstocks. If you look at the statistics they released for the past year, sales and income is constantly raising. The number of customers and contributors are also raising, however, the number of contributors raises faster than customers, so there are less and less "customers per contributors" and it is affecting the individual contributor's sales. However, why should Shutterstock care about this? What is important to them is that sales happen. Wheter a customer buys an image from one portfolio or another is not important to them. They get their money either way.

I understand that you would like to know how exactly the search works though, we all do - But would it really help us much if we knew? Then everyone would try to work this system and it would come down to the same. What I mean is, if, for example uploading frequently was a factor and that would be known, then all contributors would rather upload one image a day or twce a day instead of 10 a week - and if everyonewas doing it, it's all the same again and your image  gets lost among million others trying to profit from how the alogorithm again.

I believe it's just really hard to have your image found with millions of competing images and no matter how the search algorithm is changed - it will always be that way and only get tougher and tougher each day with more images being submitted into the database.

But this aside - I don't think the serach alogorithm and the "most relevant" rank is something that can even be influenced by the contrubotur. It seems to involve factors like how many times an image was sold, possibly also how often it was looked at and, at least in the beginning, a lot of new images seem to also make it into the most relevant tab.

11 hours ago, Brady Barrineau said:

No, just over a day. 

your here for No time at all and 6 pages Barely. get a few 1000 More and we'll Talk. this is not 2006-2012 anymore. you need very High commercial value and Lots of it. go to work My Friend.search for the subjects you Have.....A whole Bunch of others.

6 minutes ago, jean-francois.me said:

your here for No time at all and 6 pages Barely. get a few 1000 More and we'll Talk. this is not 2006-2012 anymore. you need very High commercial value and Lots of it. go to work My Friend.search for the subjects you Have.....A whole Bunch of others.

No one should comment until they post as many masterpieces as Grossinger.

I can only dream of uploading 200 photos a day. Taking about 400 photos a week but most are not great and some are similars so only submitting about 60 a week and almost 7,000 to go before I reach the magic 10,001. Sales rising in proportion to portfolio size though and hoping to get more than 200 DLs this month.

4 hours ago, Shuano said:

Только в этом месяце я возобновил работу над ss, у меня не было 10 месяцев (у меня не было новых фотографий). Из-за того, что я думаю, мои продажи не было, у меня было 400 фотографий, в этом месяце я добавил более 400 фотографий. Надеюсь, продажи начнутся в следующем месяце!

I had a similar thing last year; I went four months without uploading a single photo last summer. I didn't see any sales from month 2 to 1 month after I started uploading photos again.

11 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

get a few 1000 More and we'll Talk

No need, but thanks. Just sharing my status; obviously I couldn't expect many sales at this point (actually doing better than I expected). SS is just a side thing for me; I work on it when I have spare minutes or have photos from some other project.

17 minutes ago, Ricoh Mirai User Club said:

No one should comment until they post as many masterpieces as Grossinger.

I can only dream of uploading 200 photos a day. Taking about 400 photos a week but most are not great and some are similars so only submitting about 60 a week and almost 7,000 to go before I reach the magic 10,001. Sales rising in proportion to portfolio size though and hoping to get more than 200 DLs this month.

🙂 

60 this week is impressive.  i'm travelling in South Africa currently.  Power cuts 3 times a day, and really bad wifi, so i've fallen behind, plus editing has been slow...but i need to give a push, cause heading back to Europe to walk a camino, so 2 months with likely no uploads... 

3 hours ago, Firn said:

I understand that you would like to know how exactly the search works though, we all do - But would it really help us much if we knew? Then everyone would try to work this system and it would come down to the same.

Makes sense...
Realistically why do I even care so much after all..
Annoying?
- Yes.
Would I drop everything I work on right now and get back to uploading daily content on SS in order to keep my income at least where it was over the past months/year?
- No.

I guess that's the answer for me then )))

5 hours ago, jean-francois.me said:

I have a few good sellers. 

4 hours ago, clivewa said:

It's not doom and gloom all round.  For me this month has been a return to form.  Already well above my figures for Jan and Feb.

Same here. I already surpassed my total downloads for February and I'm closing in on the number I did in January. In terms of dollars, an EL a few days ago will ensure that this is my best month ever.

I don't have a huge portfolio (493 and growing) but my images sell at the levels i expect.

feb Is always My best month On SS. why?? Have no Idea. Im just tired Of My sales being almost Identical numbers for years.gets boring. like why even Chk. same amount month after Month.

My sales are about regular (and slow - I have a small port, so no surprises here). What is interesting, the stuff that sells the most for me is food and flowers, and I am not even all that good with food photography (but always trying to get better). My editorials don't sell at all - maybe I am doing them wrong. Don't have much experience with them, started shooting editorials maybe a couple of months ago.

Correct my friend. I joined 14 yrs ago when the owner Jon  was a reviewer along with 5 Other employees.He used to call for advice.I have fond memories Of Cora. the last and Only Person that actually cared about us. we used to Talk for Hours. port is looking Clean Man.I have till Jan 1st 2020 and Im gone for good.and If anyone wants to bet on that with there Port....just say so.The whoHoo Gang have No clue How it was.Nothing But positive then and Psychos On the forums.....LOL But , thats forums. theres always a few. there has to be I guess.When Im done. will be the last Book....a collection Of q&A from Members without names and some amazing anecdotes along the way from Pretty cool People that are Long gone.

I gave up video. But there was a time when It was Extremely good. Most have No idea.Everything we submitted sold. Just Like stills.

I actually hate seeing threads Like this and being negative. Im not a negative guy. It's Just the truth.