Robert Wei

Anyone here use SS to earn a living ?

10 hours ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

Thanks, Rob.  Yes, they're very liberal on accepting pretty much every image there. 

I'd heard horror stories about A___y customers getting refunds (you think you've sold an image there for $100, then poof, the $100 vanishes, because the customer realizes they can get the same image from a micro site like SS for $1, so they got a refund), therefore the 600 images I submitted to A___y were EXCLUSIVE to A___y.

There are only so many hours in a day and I decided my time was better spend on submitting to the micros like here at SS.  It's slow income but at least it's SOME income.

Now, if I see a $100 sale pop up on A___y, you better believe I'll look at the TYPE of image that sold there, I'll shoot more of that and I'll spend more time submitting there!

While it theory that can happen (and probably has) I never had a client cancel a sale on A***y. And I had a few $100+ sales.

3 hours ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

This year I'm concentrating on submitting stock FOOTAGE, VIDEO, here to SS, see if that can give my imcome the shot in the arm of adrenalin that it needs.

Doug Jensen has got you thinking eh?

On 3/26/2019 at 4:06 AM, Mike Kuhlman said:

Congratulations!  You've had better luck and success than I have!  Of course you've uploaded 3,300 images there.  I've only uploaded 600.  After the dismal sales performance on those 600 images, I decided to call it quits.  I've got 2,775 images here.

Its weird, i have the same amount on all agency's and making the same amount on all of them... and that below 1000 images, sales are different but the money is the same.

On 3/26/2019 at 9:17 PM, Emil O said:

When I reach $1000 a month I'm moving to Sri Lanka :)

Haha, good one.  I was going to say depends on where you live.  Maybe I should add Sri Lanka as a potential move destination.  I can rent a pretty decent place in Cali, Colombia.  My photos have more than payed for my equipment and pays for at least one trip a year, depending on where I go.  That said, revenue has been trending down for me since 2016 even as I've consistently uploaded about 7-10 images/week.   

On 3/12/2019 at 3:16 AM, Robert Wei said:

Wonder how many contributor can use SS to earn enough money to live,

and how many photos need

Can someone raise hand?

Not yet tbh but close.

About 50 000 images if you dont live in expensive country.

In about 75 years i'll be there

On 3/11/2019 at 8:00 PM, Phil Lowe said:

Yuri pulled out of SS a LONG time ago and started his own site because SS was sinking fast even back then.  He had a portfolio of over 70k high quality images and pulled them all off the microstock sites in one clean sweep.  The sites responded by telling us we can't demand takedown of our images without something like 6 months notice now.

On 4/5/2019 at 6:46 PM, Leonard Whistler said:

Doug Jensen has got you thinking eh?

The footage is tanking big time too.  Sales are slow and SS is frequently letting clips go for $1.50 or 60 cents.  There was a period where sales were good, right when SS did a big webinar with a guy who wrote a book Stock Footage Millionaire.  He was making about 25k month on footage with a large library then.  But after the webinar where SS was telling us all to gear up for footage everyone did gear up, sales tanked in a big way.  I'm very disillusioned by footage ROI.  I've spoken personally with some of the guys the agencies hold up as their Poster Boys for why don't you shoot footage as good as these guys and they are pretty disillusioned too.

Edit: this was meant for who you were commenting on.  Wrong quote got pasted.  Sorry

I once worked in business sales for a large corporation. The money was really good as I was a top producer. This continued for several years until things slowly changed. The company made some dumb decisions and then suffered a catastrophic blow due to a failed merger. This cost them millions of dollars and soon new strategies were being deployed to recoup their losses. One of their first responses was to introduce a new commissions plan for their sales teams. This wasn't out of the ordinary as the comp plans changed every few years or so. It wasn't immediately obvious at first but we were being paid less for doing more work. New metrics were introduced and added to our monthly quotas. Worthless new products were being pushed onto unsuspecting customers. These were low value solutions designed to make the company money.

After a few months on this comp plan it was clear we were making less money to sell more products. The comp plan changed again a few months later and we made even less. The company then began to hemorrhage reliable, knowledgeable employees; tenured, successful employees who fondly remembered the glory days. I was one of the few who decided to stick it out in hopes things would return to the way they used to be. They never did. The company began hiring the youngest kids they could find with no relevant background, experience, or education. They were programmed during new hire training to sell the crap products with high profit margins. Their starting base salaries were probably a third of the more tenured sales people. Additionally, many were getting their first start working for a real company and were satisfied with less. Afterall, a $1,200 commission check was just fine to someone who's never tasted a $6,700 one.

In a lot of ways I see parallels to what happened at my old job to what's taking place at SS now. 

7 hours ago, MSPhotographic said:

Yuri pulled out of SS a LONG time ago and started his own site because SS was sinking fast even back then.  He had a portfolio of over 70k high quality images and pulled them all off the microstock sites in one clean sweep. 

Yes he created his own site, pulled out of most microstock sites BUT made a deal with iStock to be exclusive there.

No living, but I have a (totally different) fulltime job anyway. However, I recently bought a very good camera from my income just with microstock. Otherwise I would have never spend so much money on it, so it does bring me some good things.

11 hours ago, Sharkshock said:

I once worked in business sales for a large corporation. The money was really good as I was a top producer. This continued for several years until things slowly changed. The company made some dumb decisions and then suffered a catastrophic blow due to a failed merger. This cost them millions of dollars and soon new strategies were being deployed to recoup their losses. One of their first responses was to introduce a new commissions plan for their sales teams. This wasn't out of the ordinary as the comp plans changed every few years or so. It wasn't immediately obvious at first but we were being paid less for doing more work. New metrics were introduced and added to our monthly quotas. Worthless new products were being pushed onto unsuspecting customers. These were low value solutions designed to make the company money.

After a few months on this comp plan it was clear we were making less money to sell more products. The comp plan changed again a few months later and we made even less. The company then began to hemorrhage reliable, knowledgeable employees; tenured, successful employees who fondly remembered the glory days. I was one of the few who decided to stick it out in hopes things would return to the way they used to be. They never did. The company began hiring the youngest kids they could find with no relevant background, experience, or education. They were programmed during new hire training to sell the crap products with high profit margins. Their starting base salaries were probably a third of the more tenured sales people. Additionally, many were getting their first start working for a real company and were satisfied with less. Afterall, a $1,200 commission check was just fine to someone who's never tasted a $6,700 one.

In a lot of ways I see parallels to what happened at my old job to what's taking place at SS now. 

I see parallels to what is happening to a lot of companies (mine included), unfortunately. Firms & Employers know they have us 'loyal' 'long term' workers over a barrel - if we went they would just employ youngsters on less money, and being an 'older' person we get sidelined due to age, so would find it difficult to find another job with a half decent wage.

Sorry off topic, but wanted to vent some anger ;o)

10 hours ago, oleschwander said:

Yes he created his own site, pulled out of most microstock sites BUT made a deal with iStock to be exclusive there.

I know about that deal.  But his images there license for $35 - $50 and up, not the 38 cent stuff we see here.  On his own site he is licensing them for $35 and up.  

3 hours ago, MSPhotographic said:

I know about that deal.  But his images there license for $35 - $50 and up, not the 38 cent stuff we see here.  On his own site he is licensing them for $35 and up.  

Right. And I wonder if not some of the big earners here at Shutterstock - and elsewhere - are making their own deals. These high class images cannot be selling for 0,38 dollars imo.  

On a good month here, the money is enough to pay one to two of my below-$100 bills.  Anything to take the pressure off working to pay bills is good!  In December, my Xfinity internet bill and Metro PCS cell phone bill were paid by Shutterstock earnings!

I make a living from stock photography. Barely but still. I have started in 2015, experiencing steady, solid rise every month, until I hit a wall (or so called or "glass ceiling") in 2018. Despite of what, how many and when I upload - earnings stay on the same level or rather decrease (depends on agency).