Aksru44

Portfolio review

Hello :)

I could say that I'm new in a stock photography. I started uploading on SS in April 2018. I read a lot about earning with stock photography, but I'm not sure if I have too small portfolio yet or I just don't have good photos.

I would very appreciate if you look at my portfolio and tell me what you think.

https://www.shutterstock.com/g/Aksru44?language=en

Thank you very much :)

You have a lot of shots so similar they look like duplicates.

You have a habit of cutting buildings in half, your bee is too small, too many beans, too many boy in the river shots.

Too many just snapshots with no thought to composition or even commercial value--WHAT PRODUCT WOULD THESE IMAGES SELL?

Take a photography class, please.

Flat lighting = flat pictures.  Post-process your landscapes to add contrast and make them more vibrant.

Before:

stock-photo-prague-czech-republic-july-a

After:

stock-photo-prague-czech-republic-july-a-view-from-charles-bridge-to-river-vltava-1293498151.thumb.jpeg.7b1736d6594976895e07c10e68d99261.jpeg

This image:

young-man-on-boat-pulling-450w-129183904

You describe a man pulling on a rope, but the vast majority of the frame is dominated by his butt, accentuated by a lens flare no less.  How would someone use this?

Please, be more selective, even if the reviewers aren't.

One last thing:

stock-photo-boy-laying-on-a-bed-in-the-m

This image is, quite frankly, really creepy.  Your son's (?) shoulder looks dislocated.  Also, it's never flattering to shoot up someone's nose and you have three images shot from this same angle.  Your son is a cute kid, but this looks bad.  

On 2/10/2019 at 10:07 AM, Aksru44 said:

Hello :)

I could say that I'm new in a stock photography. I started uploading on SS in April 2018. So far I earn 14$ and I have a feeling that is not going well. A read a lot about earning with stock photography, but I'm not sure if I have too small portfolio yet or I just don't have good photos.

I would very appreciate if you look at my portfolio and tell me what you think.

https://www.shutterstock.com/g/Aksru44?language=en

Thank you very much :)

Listen to Phil. He nailed it and Looking at your Port. I agree 100%. this is Poor work. Sorry. And the work approved is embarrassing. Ok I said it and Im Sure Im gonna be a bad guy saying that and I don't care........But thats the truth and grow up..The stuff being approved is embarrassing. You may think this is personal But It's not. you need to really step it up My friend. I've said for 13 years to search whats here. I have to stop saying That..it doesn't matter anymore.  Ya,ya. Im mean and a bad person. go cry and then go shoot again after you have done the work.Then we'll talk.....

Here They come.........

8 hours ago, John Orsbun said:

You have a lot of shots so similar they look like duplicates.

You have a habit of cutting buildings in half, your bee is too small, too many beans, too many boy in the river shots.

Too many just snapshots with no thought to composition or even commercial value--WHAT PRODUCT WOULD THESE IMAGES SELL?

Take a photography class, please.

7 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

Listen to Phil. He nailed it and Looking at your Port. I agree 100%. this is Poor work. Sorry. And the work approved is embarrassing. Ok I said it and Im Sure Im gonna be a bad guy saying that and I don't care........But thats the truth and grow up..The stuff being approved is embarrassing. You may think this is personal But It's not. you need to really step it up My friend. I've said for 13 years to search whats here. I have to stop saying That..it doesn't matter anymore.  Ya,ya. Im mean and a bad person. go cry and then go shoot again after you have done the work.Then we'll talk.....

Here They come.........

Thanks for the advice, but I have a degree in photography. I studied for 4 years. I have a lot of exhibition and won a lot of awards. I'm an art photographer and not product, but I'm learning. I can't sell the art photos on stock pages, beacuse they won't sell.

Can I see some of you art photos?

Oh, right. You can't beacuse you don't have any.

And also, it seemed that you looked only the first page.

8 hours ago, Phil Lowe said:

Flat lighting = flat pictures.  Post-process your landscapes to add contrast and make them more vibrant.

Before:

stock-photo-prague-czech-republic-july-a

After:

stock-photo-prague-czech-republic-july-a-view-from-charles-bridge-to-river-vltava-1293498151.thumb.jpeg.7b1736d6594976895e07c10e68d99261.jpeg

This image:

young-man-on-boat-pulling-450w-129183904

You describe a man pulling on a rope, but the vast majority of the frame is dominated by his butt, accentuated by a lens flare no less.  How would someone use this?

Please, be more selective, even if the reviewers aren't.

One last thing:

stock-photo-boy-laying-on-a-bed-in-the-m

This image is, quite frankly, really creepy.  Your son's (?) shoulder looks dislocated.  Also, it's never flattering to shoot up someone's nose and you have three images shot from this same angle.  Your son is a cute kid, but this looks bad.  

I'll try to be more selective. Some stock photographer told me, that you have to put all pictures online, even if they look the same and there is only small change. I guess that's not true.

Also, I tend not to use a lot of postproduction. It seemed I'm wrong, again.

It's hard to switch from art photography to stock photography. Beacuse in art photography you do what you like and it's the concept that matter. I will have to work.

2 hours ago, Aksru44 said:

It's hard to switch from art photography to stock photography. Beacuse in art photography you do what you like and it's the concept that matter. I will have to work.

Stock photography is all about the concept, but the concept has to be commercially or editorially viable.  Travel blogs might use your landscape of the river, for instance, but it has to be colorful and compelling.  It would be better to wait for better light, but if you can't, post-production is a viable way to breathe life and color into an otherwise very flat looking image.  I use Lightroom, Photoshop, and a number of plugins to help me do that.

But ultimately, if you produce beautiful, tack-sharp, well-lit, properly exposed and composed images someone will find a use for them.  I tend to specialize in wildlife and my two best-selling images have sold more than 100 times each:

whitetailed-deer-fawn-odocoileus-virgini   male-northern-cardinal-flight-winter-450

But even my landscapes do make me a decent amount of money:

mackinac-bridge-sunset-450w-209860318.jp  gig-harbor-washington-december-7-450w-70

And using depth-of-field is a great way to add an artistic touch even to editorial images:

sunday-october-7-2018-inverness-450w-119  sunday-october-7-2018-inverness-450w-119

Bright, colorful, unique, and well-executed images sell.  That's where you want to get your port.  And too many "similars" will only work against you in the long run.

IMHO.

Aksru44

I did not get a degree in photography but I assume they still teach composition, rule of thirds, etc., don't they?   My gut is telling me "you are pulling our leg" but. .  .  Bottom Line:  you're going to have to revisit those basics if you are going to compete as a stock photographer, it's definitely different than art photography. 

Those basic photographic techniques are very important in stock as they make the point of your image both easily and quickly determined which is essential in advertising or media presentation (stock photography).  Review what is being said to other new contributors, much of it is applicable to you.  Good Luck!      

5 minutes ago, Steve Bower said:

Aksru44

I did not get a degree in photography but I assume they still teach composition, rule of thirds, etc., don't they?   My gut is telling me "you are pulling our leg" but. .  .  Bottom Line:  you're going to have to revisit those basics if you are going to compete as a stock photographer, it's definitely different than art photography. 

Those basic photographic techniques are very important in stock as they make the point of your image both easily and quickly determined which is essential in advertising or media presentation (stock photography).  Review what is being said to other new contributors, much of it is applicable to you.  Good Luck!      

Not picking on you Steve, but your post made we want to comment. I'm sure the OP was taught composition, rule of thirds etc. The problem is that he is coming from an fine art photography background which is VERY different from stock photography. It's one reason I had to get out of our local camera clubs. I was going for stock quality photos while they were more focused on the fine art side. If you don't believe me check out some of the fine art photography magazines available. It's a very different mindset.

That said, I do create "art" photographs - I just share them on my personal sites vs trying to sell them here. I have sold some, but it's a different market.

Holly,

I'm sure you are right.  Admittedly,my first paragraph was overly harsh, but I don' think you would disagree with my concluding statement (2nd Para.).

Aksru44, Feel free to disregard my first sentence.  

5 hours ago, Aksru44 said:

Thanks for the advice, but I have a degree in photography. I studied for 4 years. I have a lot of exhibition and won a lot of awards. I'm an art photographer and not product, but I'm learning. I can't sell the art photos on stock pages, beacuse they won't sell.

Hi, do you sad have degree in photography?

Lots of yours images like this

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/prague-czech-republic-july-14-2018-1249886635?src=TX9BcRMPxkNU3SdVhjSzTQ-2-20

You are already forgiving, but a man who has studied for four years must know that the horizon must be straight

Very artistic....I do art stuff Here and Pure stock also. I do Not do editorial with people. those go to Galleries so I can Process them as I see fit. trust me a Good well executed Image can be High art if done right., And be sold as stock also. Of course then we get into the "What is art" ??? question which as a fineart painter also I don't have a answer because there is no answer Just words. Google what is art. you'll be there all Day and night. I don't call My other stuff art. I'll leave it to others.

There are some "EXTREMELY" Talented artists here Mostly on the Illustration side. Like said above If you studied. You should Know this stuff, Because I teach... and Give lectures. At least composition should work and focus. Not genius stuff. Pls post some "Art" and If looking at One page doesn't get it....well..No need to keep looking Like a Buyer.... sorry. seriously ...Best of Luck to ya. No awards Here.

"Some stock photographer told me, that you have to put all pictures online, even if they look the same and there is only small change. I guess that's not true. " NO IT IS NOT AND WHOEVER SAID THAT IS A FOOL"

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/legs-young-woman-relaxing-on-boat-1291839115?src=In8JbDCoDRugj72XHTGlOA-1-50

Here is the state of the art Pure stock work. 745 Pages of it. another Person that does the same thing Has 10,450 Pages. these are the giants of microstock. Lifestyle, The stuff that sells and always has .https://www.shutterstock.com/g/stockbroker