Jan Pohunek

Cityscapes and historic buildings - property release requirements

Hello everybody,
I have recently noticed that some of my cityscapes of Prague historic city centre were rejected because of missing property release requirement. For example the attached photo. Alright, I can license such scenes as editorials. However, while browsing similar images, I noticed that many quite similar images are listed as non-editorial, for example here:
https://www.shutterstock.com/cs/image-photo/lobkowicz-palace-on-cloudy-day-prague-412618756

Where is the difference? I tend to be more specific when naming buildings that can be seen (In the case of the linked image, it was the Prague Castle, Church of St. Nicholas, Church of Our Lady Victorious and a water tower of the Lesser town). All of them are 19th century or older (for example the castle is medieval, but the cathedral was finished in 19th century, the churches are baroque and the tower is 19th century). Could it be that only more generically named photos are accepted ("Cityscape of Prague at Night"), or does it depend more on reviewers and their guidelines (which may change in time)? I have also noticed that churches tend to be rejected for commercial release more often than castles or abandoned industrial monuments, are possibly guidelines for religious objects more strict?

Best,
Jan Pohunek

04.JPG

Very strange. I also thought that anything pre-1900 did not require a property release. The other possibilities are that the one of the buildings in the photograph has been taken over by a private owner/manager or a local council is involved in handling the property and have imposed restrictions on commercial use photography. I believe this is the case with the Brighton Pavillon Building in the UK - so property release is required despite the building having been completed in 1823. 

one difference i see if the illumination.  we know for example the lighting of the Eiffel tower is TM.  so maybe a really careful reviewer. 

but i have a feeling it's the naming of the building (especially the word Castle and Palace seems to raise flag i have found).  also might add "View From...."  which clearly identifies you are in a public place to capture the shot, and maybe put 19th century in description.

but i have found cityscape inconsistent, but mainly on TM (and hidden graffiti somewhere under a bridge.. seriously)  

ADDED: one more thing, the photo you link has an older number, things do change in the review standards, but they don't seem to always go retro active

As I look, I have also added "Shot from Vyšehrad Castle" to the photo, maybe that was the problem. The Vyšehrad Castle is public ground, a hill with a former castle and a fortress, now a park - but it might not be clear to the reviewer. I will try to specify that more clearly the next time.

1 hour ago, Jan Pohunek said:

As I look, I have also added "Shot from Vyšehrad Castle" to the photo, maybe that was the problem. The Vyšehrad Castle is public ground, a hill with a former castle and a fortress, now a park - but it might not be clear to the reviewer. I will try to specify that more clearly the next time.

totally possible. tough call what to do as I assume the location in important for the view 

Check on Shutterstock's list of "known image restrictions" to see if any of these buildings are mentioned. If not, resubmit, and check the "previously submitted" box, so that the reviewer is forced to think about it for a minute. Buildings this old in general do not require a release.