James R Poston

What percentage of your Portfolio has sold at least once?

if we are speaking of images that's 16.57% for me (59 images sold at least once out of a portfolio of 356 to date), if we are speaking of number of  sales (as of 'the average portfolio sells x% in a month') I've sold 26.9% of my portfolio.

I've been here a while (10 years) so an across the board comparison may not be valid but 68% of my portfolio has been downloaded at least once.   I also include myself in the quality over quantity camp which I hope has a positive effect on my numbers.

57 minutes ago, chris kolaczan said:

69% for me

Almost a meaningless stat though. Having a single sale from an image is a failure in my mind.

There is a little more to it than that. Newer images may have sold only once or not at all, but may sell in the future. Having a single (or no) sale is only a failure if you look at images that are a year or more old (to account for seasonal variations).

14.2 % for me. Hopefully that'll go up as my photography skills improve (The past few months I've slowed the uploads until I feel like I'm moving in the right direction) and I also decide if I should get rid of some of the non selling ones or wait a bit longer "just in case..."

2 minutes ago, Adam Gladstone said:

14.2 % for me. Hopefully that'll go up as my photography skills improve (The past few months I've slowed the uploads until I feel like I'm moving in the right direction) and I also decide if I should get rid of some of the non selling ones or wait a bit longer "just in case..."

I don't think I would delete any. We never know when someone wants that exact photo.

Just now, Jim in SC said:

I don't think I would delete any. We never know when someone wants that exact photo.

So far that has been my reasoning for not deleting any photos. Some that have sold (albeit  only once or twice), had been up a while before selling. So far the ones I'd look to delete first are the ones which if I look at them, might say "well, this one is ok, but my post processing skills have improved enough I can tweek it some more and make it an even better photo!" of course one could argue that replacing a photo with an improved version isn't actually deleting it...

Such a number doesn't mean much. At this moment it is 22.45%, but I am active for 6 months and more than half of my portfolio has been uploaden in the last 3 months or so. When I would leave my portfolio for the next year, percentage would most probably be much higher, only because of more airtime for my pictures.

16 hours ago, chris kolaczan said:

Although that is technically true, a $0.33 sale on an image for which you had to purchase equipment and upload (data isn't necessarily free) doesn't cover the expense of actually creating the image. Future sales may happen but aren't likely to fix the equation.

Yup.  Yesterday an image sold for the 3rd time, bringing its total profit up to $0.92.  Bus fare to and from the closest access point (I still had a 21km round trip hike after that) cost $10.  Also, my tripod fell off a cliff and was never quite the same afterwards.  Good thing I at least had fun...?

5 hours ago, Fer Gregory said:

How do you get the percentage?

Go to your "top performers" and see how many pages you have (there are 20 per page, except for the last page, which is probably not a full page)  -- multiply each full page by 20, and add however many you get from the last page. Divide that number of images by your total number of images and multiply by 100.

2 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

Go to your "top performers" and see how many pages you have (there are 20 per page, except for the last page, which is probably not a full page) - it only shows the pics that have sold. Divide that number of images by your total number of images and multiply by 100.

Thank you that's the easy way, only sold show in Top Performers, and if someone wants, here's a link for 100 per page: https://submit.shutterstock.com/earnings/top-performers?page=1&date_range=0&sort_direction=desc&per_page=100&language=en

Makes counting easier?

26% but I have a good 85% of all my images are Editorial, and most of those have no sales. If there was a way for me to sort on commercial vs Editorial that would be interesting.

Here is a summary of my sales experience in my first 5 months in microstock

august - 30 photos on sale - 2 sold - 0,50 $

september - 96 photos on sale - 1 sold - 0,25 $

october - 192 photos on sale - 4 sold - 1,00 $

november - 194 photos on sale - 2 sold - 2,13 $

december - 234 photos on sale - 2 sold - 0,50 $

january 2019 - 275 photos onn sale - 5 sold - 15,00 $ ( and waiting for the month to end )  

The total sales have been 16 photos with a profit of 19.42 $

my percentage is 5.81%, I know that it is little but very happy with this experience. 

sorry for my English

27 minutes ago, CarmonaGuerrero said:

Here is a summary of my sales experience in my first 5 months in microstock

august - 30 photos on sale - 2 sold - 0,50 $

september - 96 photos on sale - 1 sold - 0,25 $

october - 192 photos on sale - 4 sold - 1,00 $

november - 194 photos on sale - 2 sold - 2,13 $

december - 234 photos on sale - 2 sold - 0,50 $

january 2019 - 275 photos onn sale - 5 sold - 15,00 $ ( and waiting for the month to end )  

The total sales have been 16 photos with a profit of 19.42 $

my percentage is 5.81%, I know that it is little but very happy with this experience. 

sorry for my English

I am surprised by the low number of your sales. You have some really great pictures in your portfolio!

25 minutes ago, Firn said:

Estoy sorprendido por el bajo número de sus ventas. Tienes algunas fotos realmente geniales en tu portafolio!

thanks, as I do not have an exact reference of how much can be sold especially in the first months and because of the small portfolio that I have, I can not say if there are really few sales, a photo sold at $ 14 saves me. Anyway I'm still looking for the perfect picture although my free time for this is little