Simon Annable

Camera gloves?

Any recommendations for gloves suitable for photographers? I like to walk around holding my Fujifilm X-T2 by the grip through a hand strap and when not in use for periods it goes in a shoulder bag as I've found this combo better than a neck strap.

Anyway, now the UK winter is here and probably due to poor circulation, I'm getting more painful fingers due to cold and I've yet to find gloves giving the best combination of feel and warmth, is there such a thing as the perfect glove for photographers?

What do you guys use in winter?

Simon, 

I live in North Florida (USA) so the temps. only occasionally get much below freezing but I do travel quite a bit and end up in some pretty cold weather.  I use glove liners which I've found are warm enough in most conditions.  If it gets too cold, I can always pull on some gloves over the liners. 

I've had them quite some time so I can no longer read the make but they "had" leather (or fake leather) inserts on each finger tip and fit rather tightly.  In addition, the material was rather course (not slick) which makes it easier to grip my equipment.

I would suggest you shop around for something similar in your area.  I would bring a camera with you just to make sure that your purchase will allow you to grip that expensive camera.  Hope this helps!   

I have a pair of Polortec gloves.But Im not a fan of cold environments.Im In So Cal. it drops below 70 we take valium   LOL we Like 85 and sunny so 355 days a year is good.Blue skies and Bikinis. Is a good thing.I own More pairs of shorts and T shirts than anything.

3 hours ago, Simon Annable said:

Any recommendations for gloves suitable for photographers? I like to walk around holding my Fujifilm X-T2 by the grip through a hand strap and when not in use for periods it goes in a shoulder bag as I've found this combo better than a neck strap.

Anyway, now the UK winter is here and probably due to poor circulation, I'm getting more painful fingers due to cold and I've yet to find gloves giving the best combination of feel and warmth, is there such a thing as the perfect glove for photographers?

What do you guys use in winter?

Im so glad you have posted this , I part of the weekend in the Malham North Yorkshire  in the snow . My hands still feel sore now from the cold ...If i left my gloves on I couldnt work my camera controls and if i took them off my hands turned purple ...i couldnt win ha 

Hi, Simon

Look in the mountain gear stores. Everything you need for feel comfortable on cold whether is there.  

If you only have to stop the cold, polartec made liner gloves is a good option, as commented Laurin.  

If you need to stop the wind or the snow, maybe you will need gore-tex gloves. 

If the conditions are really bad, you will need both.  

I prefer neck straps if I need changing lenses. For mountain conditions, I made some lens cups that I can take off and on even with down mittens.

15 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

I have a pair of Polortec gloves.But Im not a fan of cold environments.Im In So Cal. it drops below 70 we take valium   LOL we Like 85 and sunny so 355 days a year is good.Blue skies and Bikinis. Is a good thing.I own More pairs of shorts and T shirts than anything.

A nice problem to have.. I could forget gloves and use the Nuclear Option and just move to sunnier climes Lol..

Here in  the UK, a cause of national celebration is getting a Blue Clear Sky and we all thought the Fifty Shades of Grey books were about the British weather!

Brilliant post Simon. Yes the UK has been gales gales rain and then bigger gales. The wind chill has been horrific and my fingers have felt like someone has them in a vice.  So I've been looking. 

I do own some sealskin gloves. Fully waterproof and more importantly windproof. But you need that touch screen option. So they now do these. The measurement system they use for size is accurate. Or you can pop along to your nearest millers to try a size then get them online. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Mens-Gloves/Sealskinz-Unisex-Ultra-Grip-Gloves/B00WUP60IY

I'm saving for these touchscreen options. Failing that you can get thread on ebay that you can sew on tips of existing gloves just ensure it has an ohms rating because a lot of fake conductive thread on there. 

Failing that if you smoke rolling tobacco ... the plastic pouch is oddly conductive and you can operate a mobile phone touch screen with it. Cut a bit off stick some velcro to it and attach the other bit of velcro to the glove. 

Finally you can do what I've been doing. Wear normal gloves until you need to operate the touch screen and just pull out your thumb to operate the settings. So only your thumb is exposed while you need to use it then put the thumb back in and shoot away. 

I'm guessing you got this sorted out by now, but anyway... Fingerless gloves with mitten flaps? Fingers free when using the camera, then use the mitten part to keep fingers warm the rest of the time. I have cheap wool ones but you can probably find ones that are made of something better. Something like this https://www.sealskinz.com/gloves/outdoor-sports-mittens-olive.htm?productid=359&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&promo=shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw96fkBRA2EiwAKZjFTQk_YjIszaODt1pC-PT74knjMeQjJP7NWcozSPkCCeVIvjpckMysyRoCK_EQAvD_BwE