My photos aren't selling, it's been 1 week and I've posted 26 approved photos yet

1 hour ago, Luke____s said:

I sell about 5 per month on this site. I have nearly 300 images. Im still nowhere near where I want to be, but I feel I’m improving. 

I think there are too many websites that give terrible advice if you do a search for ‘ways to make money with Photography’ or whatever phrase, a lot of them suggest micro stock. But they have it all wrong. They say if you have photos sat on your hard drive why not upload them and make money. As if it’s that simple. Then you’ll have a ‘passive income’ with minimal effort. Like anything, if we want results in takes a lot of time and effort.

I have a lot in my portfolio which now, I don’t think are much good. I’m no expert by any means. But I’m open to advice and learning.

Competition is fierce but luckily people here are generous with critique and advice. I wish the reviews were stricter. It would certainly help me to know what I need to do better. 

Luke, I think you have the right attitude. Unlike the OP, who asks a question and never returns. Guess he didn't make that quick money he was expecting. If you are looking for instant gratification, you are in the wrong business.  

• 2 years later...
On 1/17/2019 at 8:38 PM, njene said:

Duck shots...thats where the real moneys at

Exactly. Duck photos really can be moneymakers 😀

One of my best selling and most profitable photos of all time on SS is one of my duck photos. Sales of it has slowed down lately, but it still sold a couple times this week, and I got one sale of $30 for it earlier this month.

5 hours ago, Doug McLean said:

Exactly. Duck photos really can be moneymakers 😀

One of my best selling and most profitable photos of all time on SS is one of my duck photos. Sales of it has slowed down lately, but it still sold a couple times this week, and I got one sale of $30 for it earlier this month.

Your photo with mother duck and the ducklings is a special one. Very easy to see why it is getting selected constantly. :) 

1 hour ago, MrSorbias said:

Your photo with mother duck and the ducklings is a special one. Very easy to see why it is getting selected constantly. :) 

It is a good pic, but I think Doug is referring to an old inside joke about ducks and shooting them...... I don't have a link to the thread, but it's from 2010 or so.... probably in the archives.

I found it -

On 1/6/2019 at 6:32 AM, Travelling.north said:

I've started uploading photos to Shutterstock a week ago, there are 26 approved photos in my Portfolio and none of them have been sold yet. This is really disappointing or maybe I've been doing something wrong, if you can please help me. Tell me what am I doing wrong or what kind of photos should I be uploading.

My Portfolio:  https://www.shutterstock.com/g/Travelling.north?rid=222543623&utm_medium=email&utm_source=ctrbreferral-t-link

Shutterstock now has billions of photos online.  Most never even get seen anymore.  Over the years I built my portfolio up to over 20k images and 6k videos.  Yet I now make about 1/8 as much as I did in 2012 with a portfolio a fraction of the size.  If I didn't already have so many photos up I wouldn't bother.  Do the math.  Billions of photos in the database, with millions of new photos being added each week... and when you do sell one, you will most likely see only 10 cents.  Ask yourself, is it worth it?