AndreiL

Are wildlife photography selling?

This category is not entirely successful. Others have more marketability. But it's fine hobbies. Not for earnings. Especially for the last two years, sales have worsened. You have to have a big port. It is also important equipment. Ordinary technique will not be enough. Full Frame DSLR plus light-long lenses. It's a challenging discipline. Compared to time consuming, there is no earnings corresponding to the effort expended.

As a wildlife birds photographer I would def say no. Some images sale, but overall its not as popular as human pics, or everything done by humans - products, travel photos, architecture, so on. We humans are egocentric af. If you want better sales, dont try wildlife, plus as Michal said - its demanding, lenses are the most expensive out of all lenses, requires knowledge, skills and luck and at the end of the day you get a lousy .25 cents. Not worth it.

My port is mainly wildlife and I do sell regularly - not huge numbers compared to a lot of contributors on here, but it gives me a fairly regular monthly bonus - If this is a hobby and you enjoy it (like me), then carry on and anything you sell is a bonus.  If you want to make a living out of it - it will be expensive and very time consuming and don't expect to make huge amounts.

if you look at michal-ninger image port above - he has some amazing stuff - so that's the competition you are up against.

Good Luck

1 hour ago, Michal Ninger said:

This category is not entirely successful. Others have more marketability. But it's fine hobbies. Not for earnings. Especially for the last two years, sales have worsened. You have to have a big port. It is also important equipment. Ordinary technique will not be enough. Full Frame DSLR plus light-long lenses. It's a challenging discipline. Compared to time consuming, there is no earnings corresponding to the effort expended.

+1

Its going to depend what type of wildlife.  If its common stuff you find in your garden or local park then no, unlikely to sell.

If its rare, hard to find, exotic wildlife then yes it can sell.

My port is majority wildlife (and mostly underwater) and earns well enough.

It sells, but to stand out in order to really succeed you have to invest considerable amount of time and money into your gear, traveling locally or abroad to find what isn't overshot by all the other people wanting to get rich off wildlife photography, and refining your skill so far as the shots themselves go.  Saying this as someone who primarily shoots wildlife and needs to do better in all of the above!  (I love it though)

As others have stated. shooting wildlife is expensive (lenses, bodies, tripod, gimbal head, travel), time-consuming, and doesn't sell especially well.  If you do it, do it for the love of it, not for the money. Having noted that, my top 2 performers are wildlife.The key is having something no one else does.

1031300940_1-4-20199-50-57AM.jpg.6ec3c5f89f9bfe1e2613de950c0a04c2.jpg

2 hours ago, Dilomski said:

Oh, I feel neglected, I highly doubt that someone got better swifts in flight than me. Or Great Bittern pics.

Sorry - no offence meant, I hadn't looked at your port - but know from previous knowledge that Michal has some great stuff!

As someone who has 3,849 image and 2,251 are animals, I can say that wildlife does sell. Maybe not as well as people or lifestyle, but it's enough to get me a $100+ payment every month from SS. You just have to be picky about what you put out, careful on keywording and have some patience. Check out the competition and adjust your style accordingly. Of my 2,251 animal images, 553 are wolves and that's what sells the most for me. I'd love for more of the other critters to sell, but I'll take what I get.

top3.jpg

Yeah, what Holly said - animals / wildlife doesn't sell like people pics, but there is always need for them, even if it's in a smaller scale than people pics.

60% of my port is animals - not all wildlife, however.

I think.....Like all Images regardless of subject can sell if theres a story and that is about you. Sari Has a Knack for that and some of her work is amazing. you can Spend your Life savings going to africa and have the best gear out there But without a Image with a story and your eye...Your dead as far as sales go. I go to the Zoo and wait to see the story. Im done in a few hours and back Home, I even Take students there. These 3 sold "A LOT" of Images, In the 1000's. 10 Miles away.I see dominance,Eternal Love and Beauty.Sari Has that also. some of her work is magical.

CAT 8667 CD309 SILVERBACK GORILLA 2.jpg

CAT 10080 CD346 CHIMPANZEE AND CHILD.jpg

CAT 10253 CD349 FLAMINGO.jpg

8 minutes ago, Laurin Rinder said:

I think.....Like all Images regardless of subject can sell if theres a story and that is about you. Sari Has a Knack for that and some of her work is amazing. you can Spend your Life savings going to africa and have the best gear out there But without a Image with a story and your eye...Your dead as far as sales go. I go to the Zoo and wait to see the story. Im done in a few hours and back Home, I even Take students there. These 3 sold "A LOT" of Images, In the 1000's. 10 Miles away.I see dominance,Eternal Love and Beauty.Sari Has that also. some of her work is magical. 

CAT 8667 CD309 SILVERBACK GORILLA 2.jpg

CAT 10080 CD346 CHIMPANZEE AND CHILD.jpg

CAT 10253 CD349 FLAMINGO.jpg

+1

As it's already been said, if you've just gotten into "Stock Photography" and you looking for that niche that's going to make you a bundle, look somewhere else (other than wildlife photography).  However, if you love nature and would rather spend your time outside watching animals and taking in what nature has to offer, you might just make some good money shooting wildlife and landscape.

I don't shoot wildlife exclusively but if given a chance, I would rather do that than any other kind of photography.  Bottom line: shoot what you love and your love of the subject matter will produce your best work (assuming you've learned the requisite photographic skills).  Like others have mentioned my best seller (earnings of over $1,000.00) is a wildlife shot.

Generally wildlife hasn't sold much for me here.  I got a few initial downloads of an image of an anhinga, a few downloads of an image of a couple budgies touching beaks, then nothing.  Occasionally an image of a poodle will sell.  An image of a profile of a green lorikeet IS selling like hotcakes for me on another agency though.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/closeup-blue-green-red-yellow-lorikeet-612325790

I only have 81 images of animals and wildlife, though, a relatively small number in relation to my overall almost 2,750 image portfolio.

It's my most favorite genre of photography along with sports - They suppose to be extremely rewarding and should be best sellers in a perfect world; there are top selling magazines out there dedicated to wildlife and support so I think they are the most hardest genres which requires hard work, persistence, dedication and cutting edge equipment which are the same reasons that I'm staying away from them ^_^ 

Billions more Magazines,Websites and Stuff use People.....LOL I Like it all after 64 years...the sound Of a shutter still turns me on and capturing That Moment in time that will never be seen again is Total magic for me and Im sure you and many others also..            

On 1/4/2019 at 12:37 PM, Michal Ninger said:

Well explained... I agree!

On 1/4/2019 at 1:22 PM, Evgeniia Ozerkina said:

Wild animals are sold sometimes. The beach and palm trees more often.

But today I am selling this photo)

close-ass-brown-bear-450w-378984550.jpg

I do not understand where  can use this photo but the fact of sale pleases

Nice one @Evgeniia!

I think it depends a lot on what you're selling.  This one has done quite well:

A wild mother Southern Sea Otter (Enhydra lutris) and her 1-day old newborn pup float in the water of a quiet cove, in Monterey Bay, California. Footage available.

But I'm still waiting for my first sale on this one;
A  Columbian Black-tailed deer fawn (Odocoileus hemionus) pees in the grass in the hills of Monterey, California. The black-tail is a type of mule deer of the Pacific Northwest.

On 1/4/2019 at 1:22 PM, Evgeniia Ozerkina said:

Wild animals are sold sometimes. The beach and palm trees more often.

But today I am selling this photo)

close-ass-brown-bear-450w-378984550.jpg

I do not understand where  can use this photo but the fact of sale pleases

This "bear bottom" would be great for a toilet paper commercial!

Image result for bear bottom charmin