D. Ribeiro

Weird glitch Lightroom/mac/canon

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I photographed a match and out of roughly 2000 pictures, about 5 or so came out like this (see picture attached). Don't mind the exposure, focus, etc, that's not the issue, it's the fact it's all broken, surely you see what I mean.

Has anyone ever seen something like this? Don't even know if it's an issue with the SD card, the camera, lightroom, or my mac.

Thanks for any tips.

mleemediaIMG_6538.jpg

There also seems to be a difference in the exposure and white balance between the top and bottom of the image as well as timing.  Were you using Flash?  I'm just trying to gather a little more info. before the experts chime in. 

Having seen a similar problem in my past, I'd say it might be the sd card. In my case I had a color shift and a small image misalignment.

Tests to do:

1) Reimport the images into Lightroom to see if it was a communication error during import. If it happens again go to #2

2) If you have other sd cards, mark the one as questionable and use others. If it turns up again, it might be your camera.

In my case I marked the CF card as questionable and tried not to ever use it. The problem never turned up again, but after a bit of time, the camera started giving out multiple errors - just at the right time for me to upgrade to a D300. :)

Good luck! (and thankfully it was only 5 rather than the whole 2000!)

Thanks guys. I'll be using a different card in the future and keep this one as a backup. I'll also try importing those specific pictures to my desktop PC, to rule out the issue of the Mac.

I sincerely hope it's the card and not the camera :D

I have had something similar years ago with a Nikon D70
Some days later the card writer/reader of the camera has stopped to work.

So I think that it is not a Lightroom problem but a card one.
It could also be a cable issue, the one that you use to transfer the image to your Mac
Or a USB plug issue (specially if you use the MacBook Pro)
Also it can be the built-in card reader of the computer if you use that.

Did you tried to open the file with other than Lightroom (or other camera raw based application)?
And what is the result?

Right, took note of the file numbers and copied them to a temporary folder, outside of lightroom. The files are fine. I guess this means the SD card is also fine, and the issue lies in the reader dongle that I'm connecting to my macbook pro.

To go into more detail what I did originally was inside lightroom, copy the files from the SD card to an external hard drive, and make smart previews. Out of the nearly 2000 photos, 5 or so came out funny like the example above, but the files seem fine afterall.

On 1/6/2019 at 11:30 PM, mandritoiu said:

@D. Ribeiro, I had a similar problem when rendering a timelapse. No matter what I tried, the clip ended up with this corrupted frame:

1320500512_lrtimelapseerror.thumb.JPG.d710aaf16299789c49b30ad192e4b90a.JPG

But the original TIFF file looked just fine:

100199726_cleanTIFF.thumb.JPG.1086181905fe158fb58d176158df3d00.JPG

I ended up skipping that TIFF and after renumbering the whole sequence, the hyperlapse turned out OK.

But I don't know what went wrong and neither does Gunther, the LRTimelapse developer.

Now that I see your example, I guess that it might be a LR issue after all.

That is indeed weird. At least it's not the camera or the mac. The files seem to be fine, so it's not the SD card as well. Thanks for the example, glad to hear it's not that random!