Subhamay Acharyya

My image rejected with "The main subject of this image is not in focus"

Hi, everyone, can anyone tell me why this rejected in editorial , reason is "The main subject of this image is not in focus". And how can I edit with Photoshop to get it approved?? Any tips?? I think the water before the boat is need to be blurred ?? 

20181202090021_IMG_0253.JPG

20181202090035_IMG_0254.jpg

Oh boy must be really OOF if they hit u with that since they let in so much crap through.

No real way to fix it. Just re-shoot. Plus this has low commercial value as editorial - what’s the story, morning glory?

ps since people aren’t really identifiable an argument can be made to upload as commercial. 

Welcome to SS, where your dreams can come true, 25cents at a time.

you can't adjust focus in post processing.  so make it all blurry and call it "art effect" or

the amazing wonderful flow of glistening hydrogen combined with oxygen providing a supporting surface for a miraculous apparatus being strangely propelled by the humongous power of a glorious pair of ravishing homosapiens.

(light totally flat this afternoon.  I'm going for some wine I think.  been practicing bird photo with pigeons and gulls) 

21 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Oh boy must be really OOF if they hit u with that since they let in so much crap through.

No real way to fix it. Just re-shoot. Plus this has low commercial value as editorial - what’s the story, morning glory?

ps since people aren’t really identifiable an argument can be made to upload as commercial. 

Welcome to SS, where your dreams can come true, 25cents at a time.

Thanks for reply.. Can I try it as commercial as people are not really identifiable ?? But I thought any people showing in commercial need model release. I can't re-shoot it buddy, It is a one time shot.  Thanks anyway.

15 minutes ago, jean-francois.me said:

you can't adjust focus in post processing.  so make it all blurry and call it "art effect" or

the amazing wonderful flow of glistening hydrogen combined with oxygen providing a supporting surface for a miraculous apparatus being strangely propelled by the humongous power of a glorious pair of ravishing homosapiens.

(light totally flat this afternoon.  I'm going for some wine I think.  been practicing bird photo with pigeons and gulls) 

Best of luck. Thanks for reply.

47 minutes ago, Subhamay Acharyya said:

Thanks for reply.. Can I try it as commercial as people are not really identifiable ?? But I thought any people showing in commercial need model release. I can't re-shoot it buddy, It is a one time shot.  Thanks anyway.

Yes, you can try it as commercial and reviewer will make a decision. 

No problem that you can't re-shoot, this one you just have to let go and focus on other moments. One main reason for OOF is shooting at too low shutter speeds, so either increase your ISO and/or open your aperture. It may also be down to the way you're holding your camera. 

Good luck

3 hours ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Yes, you can try it as commercial and reviewer will make a decision

No problem that you can't re-shoot, this one you just have to let go and focus on other moments. One main reason for OOF is shooting at too low shutter speeds, so either increase your ISO and/or open your aperture. It may also be down to the way you're holding your camera. 

Good luck

thank you.

I generally don't bother too much about rejections and just move on. Recently I have had two rejections. One I agreed with and half expected, the other one I strongly disagree with.

What I find amusing is that both these rejections were submitted and approved on another site which is reputed to be much stricter that Shutterstock when it comes to quality.

I wonder how many of these rejections are done by an AI computer system and how many are seen by a human.

1. You can apply the sharpness control in photoshop to make the image appear to be in focus. Not recommended, but it sometimes works.

2. Try reducing the image to 4 or 5 MP so that at 100% it is sharper than at its native size.

But the image is still of low value. Better if the paddlers were facing the  camera.

7 hours ago, Charles Lewis said:

I generally don't bother too much about rejections and just move on. Recently I have had two rejections. One I agreed with and half expected, the other one I strongly disagree with.

What I find amusing is that both these rejections were submitted and approved on another site which is reputed to be much stricter that Shutterstock when it comes to quality.

I wonder how many of these rejections are done by an AI computer system and how many are seen by a human.

Thank you very much. Yes I understand I too have to move on after rejections. Many were approved too, so I am overall happy.

6 hours ago, John Orsbun said:

1. You can apply the sharpness control in photoshop to make the image appear to be in focus. Not recommended, but it sometimes works.

2. Try reducing the image to 4 or 5 MP so that at 100% it is sharper than at its native size.

But the image is still of low value. Better if the paddlers were facing the  camera.

Thank you very much, I will try sharpness control in PS.

YOU CANNOT SHARPEN A IMAGE.....PERIOD. you need to shoot it sharp and you need to have a 100% complete understanding Of DOF and how it relates to distance from subject,.     THAT.....is Photography.

21 hours ago, jean-francois.me said:

Great, chapeau --  Maybe you could add: ..... rendering an amazing empirical verification of the Archimedes' principle being applicable outside the northern hemisphere as well --

6 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Just let it go and free yourself from the shackles of bad photography. Learn from the experience and you will become both a better photographer and a better human being.

Namaste

.... improving your Karma -

On 12/6/2018 at 11:58 AM, Laurin Rinder said:

YOU CANNOT SHARPEN A IMAGE.....PERIOD. you need to shoot it sharp and you need to have a 100% complete understanding Of DOF and how it relates to distance from subject,.     THAT.....is Photography.

Thank you. I am learning every second.

21 hours ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Just let it go and free yourself from the shackles of bad photography. Learn from the experience and you will become both a better photographer and a better human being.

Namaste

Sure..I will keep it in mind. Thank you.