Hi all,

Merry Chrismas as the day approaches.   

I have been using Sony hvr z5u for all my wildlife and nature footages, which i do exclusively. I see the camera has been overtaken by events and i now need a 4k camera that is light, easy to carry around, but able to shoot quality footages for stock. i have done some reserches and things seem to point to mirrorless cameras. please help in determining which is the best, under 1300usd, which i have saved for such eventuality. is the sony alfa 6300 good enough? is anyone here using it? the question of overheating, that i read in a forum, does it still exist? what do you think of the long term use? as in... will things change so soon to render the morrorless..4k systems obsolete or can they last another 10 years like HD?   this constant changes of gear can be costly if not well thought. any input please?

Overheating problem has apparently been solved by using a Prograde V60 USH-II card.

https://www.diyphotography.net/how-to-fix-the-sony-a6300-overheating-issue/

I noticed that in the recent Black Friday offerings here in NL, the price of the A6300 had now reduced to €775 for the body only and €1,100 for the body + 2 zoom lens (16-50mm and 55-210mm) combi. Those prices include 21% VAT. I suspect though that other footage producers here will probably recommend you going one step further to the Sony A7 camera models.

I am using Sony A6300 for my videos. Very nice AF and low light performance. I am not into wildlife though. I think the AF and low light performance would help you in wildlife videos, apart from other things which I liked but you may not like.

Now, the cons - The cost of the Tele lens will be a concern since generally Sony lenses are costlier.

Lastly, for stock I shoot videos of short duration and overheating was never a problem. It happens based on - duration of shooting (I faced it at 15 mins of continuous shooting at 4K) , slower card, exposure of the body to atmospheric high temperature and continuous AF engagement on constantly moving things. I think you will face all these in the wild because you would need to shoot longer time than I do. So my suggestion will be try a body with fastest card if that is possible.

Wish you all the best.

Regards,

Rudra

19 minutes ago, Rudra Narayan Mitra said:

I am using Sony A6300 for my videos. Very nice AF and low light performance. I am not into wildlife though. I think the AF and low light performance would help you in wildlife videos, apart from other things which I liked but you may not like.

Now, the cons - The cost of the Tele lens will be a concern since generally Sony lenses are costlier.

Lastly, for stock I shoot videos of short duration and overheating was never a problem. It happens based on - duration of shooting (I faced it at 15 mins of continuous shooting at 4K) , slower card, exposure of the body to atmospheric high temperature and continuous AF engagement on constantly moving things. I think you will face all these in the wild because you would need to shoot longer time than I do. So my suggestion will be try a body with fastest card if that is possible.

Wish you all the best.

Regards,

Rudra

Exactly. Pros on Panasonic, lenses are cheaper and built in stabilisation in the G 85 is better. But the Sony A 6300 shots 120 fps FHD ,  the Panasonic   shots 60 fps . Image quality is better on the Sony , APSC senzor vs MFT.

12 hours ago, Benedek Alpar said:

Exactly. Pros on Panasonic, lenses are cheaper and built in stabilisation in the G 85 is better. But the Sony A 6300 shots 120 fps FHD ,  the Panasonic   shots 60 fps . Image quality is better on the Sony , APSC senzor vs MFT.

I am contnuously learning the curve. Thanking you greatly for the input. sony still looks like the better option for wildlife videos. weather is always an issue and the animal world is active either morning or evening. 

18 minutes ago, steve bushman said:

weather is always an issue and the animal world is active either morning or evening. 

Your welcome.

The G 85 is weather sealed :) i m not sure about the Sony, but in your case the Sony is a better choice for better low light performance. Have fun with your new gear.

I am not sure of the current prices (especially as they wildly vary depending on the region and discounts) but maybe you should also consider the a6500. I'm not shooting wildlife but I imagine the in-body-stabilization would be of a great benefit to the wildlife shooter (especially in video!). Also, I believe that a6500 handles overheating better. It is not a full-frame low-light beast of a camera, but it handles low-light situations pretty well imho.

I am looking at the price tag on a6500 vs a 6300. looking at the improvement, it is only the inbody stabilization and maybe heating. all else is the same. would it be better to buy a gimbal with the extra dollars and just get the 6300 and i can use the gimbal with other cameras? more so, which of them do you think will last longer in the market...panasonic g85 or sony alfa 6300...

1 hour ago, steve bushman said:

I am looking at the price tag on a6500 vs a 6300. looking at the improvement, it is only the inbody stabilization and maybe heating. all else is the same. would it be better to buy a gimbal with the extra dollars and just get the 6300 and i can use the gimbal with other cameras? more so, which of them do you think will last longer in the market...panasonic g85 or sony alfa 6300...

I have the same dilemma with the G7 and G85 :) I owned a Panasonic FZ 300 bridge camera, beautiful 4 K video but on photo side was pretty poor, has a small mobile phone senzor. The G 85 is MFT , for editorials , street photography it will do a better job. On video side, i sell a couple of 4 K videos made with the FZ 300, the payout is huge altough my videos are suck :D I want to shoot editorial videos , i will choose the G85 for the in body stabilization. For wildlife the 6300 with a gimbal it is a wise choice. I don t want to carry a big tripod in the city, but in your case it s not a problem. Which of them will last longer? Both cameras have pros and cons but they are quite similar in performance and price, i give them one ore maybe two years, since Nikon and Canon come out with new performant mirrorless systems both companies needs an upgrade even for MFT, in Panasonic s case they need to improve the autofocus, i never used a Sony, so no clue.

I have been shooting with a Sony a6300 for a few years. I sold my Nikon full frame D850 and lenses because this camera produces sharper images and has better low light capabilities. It is also light weight for traveling. I compared it with the a6500 and did not see enough there to warrant the cost. This camera paired with the Zeiss 16-70mm lens is hard to beat. If you want even improved clarity and depth of field, try stacking a couple of photos with this combo and you will be amazed. The 55-210mm lens, while not expensive, produces very sharp images.