Alex Shutterstock

We’re excited to announce the launch of Shutterstock Select, our premium royalty-free footage.

16 hours ago, Powerhouse Productions said:

Geez I’m loath to criticise other people’s work , but I have agree with Diplali. I also have to agree with Lauren that having a RED doesn’t guarantee anything about quality or creativity.  

Most of my footage is shot on the F55 which is used to shoot blockbuster series like The Crown, but it’s not a RED so no invite likely here. But around 100 of my recent clips are filmed on a sub-$1K Sony RX100VI. I’m not the greatest cameraperson but if I wasn’t happy with the quality of the work (and I often aren’t), I wouldn’t upload it.

It reminds me of the story of the well-known cinematographer who attended a fancy New York dinner party. The host complimented the cinematographer on the quality of his work. “You must have a really good camera”, said the host.

Upon leaving the apartment, having enjoyed a beautiful meal, the cinematographer thanked the host, “That was a beautiful meal. You must have a really good oven.”

I actually had this said to me recently after catching an awesome fleeting moment of someone's son. She loved it and said those exact words.

On 11/30/2018 at 11:37 AM, Laurin Rinder said:

I don't fall for it and 444 and 422?

Critical color subsampling in certain video codecs needed by professional studios and agencies for visual effects work (green screen/blue screen). The higher the chroma subsampling, the cleaner the key you can pull from video, but that's only important to high end buyers.

Can't access my video port beyond the first page.  Can't search by "Fresh Content."  Is this affecting the ability of buyers to access our ports, too???

Thanks, SS. You broke access to my video port!  Doesn't matter which state the "Select" option is in, I can't access my clips!

WTH2018-12-01_13-34-07.thumb.jpg.b2fccefac96b5cab1c5281061848e0e1.jpg2018-12-01_13-35-16.thumb.jpg.6bc556f9f305bd0019c24118ac22c74d.jpg!!!

There definitely is a bug.

When I select then deselect the "Shutterstock Select" filter, my clips show up.

But anyhow, this is bad. Enough with destructive experiments for the sake of selected few!

The elements in these pics represent more than $15,000 worth of video gear: cameras, lenses, lights, and all the accessories.  For what it's worth, it would be great to see people who have invested more in high-end gear make a little extra jack on the side.  

The model is my oldest daughter, and she did a series of poses and expressions for video in front of my green screen.  She was shot using my Canon XF300.  The background video was shot using my Canon 5D MkIV in 4K.  The compositing was done in Final Cut Pro X.  I have versions of her clips here on SS that still have the green screen, while others, like this one, have been edited and exported with an alpha channel, so the clips are ready to go into an NLE.  

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-21680494-facial-expressions-woman-annoyed-by-bad-hair

One of the things I mentioned earlier is the 4:2:2 color subsampling. Both the XF300 and 5D4 have it, and it makes pulling a clean key like this a real pleasure.  

I guess all this is to say that I really have no issue with the whole upscale video club.  I just wish SS would throw a bone to the plebes down here working in the basement.

IMHO.

CU_001.thumb.jpg.045181ee8520b97853991d2d8552c2c1.jpg

WS_001.thumb.jpg.83fff584dbf0294e8bec24c9babe134a.jpg

Finally Shutterstock is starting a higher priced library - been hoping this would happen for a long time.

About 50% of my portfolio never sees the light of day here because the regular prices are too cheap for that kind of content (rare and difficult to shoot nature footage is my niche.) I'd be pretty keen to get involved, looking forward to hearing more and seeing how this all unfolds

Same wide shot as above with combination of chroma key and garbage matte applied.

1902696824_JensGreenScreenWork_01.thumb.jpg.befcb24297fb2a2f3ebc82e125e0a154.jpg

Wanna Get People actually excited??? announce You fixed "ALL" the Bugs,Hired a team to try and Make a dent on spam , Or ask us to help you identify them and a update On Theft going On with Payments/Password security and such.And you can throw in a few good experienced reviewers that aren't Blind accepting OOF/Very Poorly exposed Pictures. Also, It takes 3/4 tries to get a post to stick right now.. I get the Famous SS "OOOOOPS" It's Like were talking to No one Home here. We truly feel like fish, Just caught and were floundering On the dock with a Hook in our Mouths....And slowly Dying.....................

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDTRE0aQwl8vzdXXKppUxFA here is the link I've found that made a great videos about stock photography(and videography) and whats trending in the year to come and what sells and more about rejections. I have read that more videos about stock photography will be uploaded soon. Great inputs and very well explained. 

@Alex "by industry professionals using cinema-grade cameras and lenses" There are so many good cameras  for movie production and it is no matter to use RED. So what kind of Cameras will be except? I work with GHS5, 4 K until 60 fps, is this not good enough? Other point there is no option for Wildlife. Next about the Premium Select, think this means the footage must me exclusive on Shutterstock or not? Thank you for the answer. Merry Christmas

Hi @Kiki Dohmeier Thanks for your questions.

We have launched Shutterstock Select with a highly-curated set of videos and currently we are not accepting any footage. However, we expect for the program to become open to more contributors sometime in the future. We will address further questions regarding type of content and exclusivity when the program becomes open to contributors.

I totally understand your point in regards to gear. I don't have a list of cameras we will be accepting, but can look into that. 

What type of lenses are you currently using when shooting with your GH5S?

4K getting better and cheaper to produce, and faster web and devices to play them on. 

My PC monitor is 4K, when you see great videos in 4K it becomes more noticeable - it is hard to go back. 

Then they will start pushing 8K :)