Sign in to follow this  
bhaji pav

When did you feel you were ready?

So I’ve been taking photos for a while. I work as an appraiser so I’ve been taking photos of homes for over 15 years. Just point and shoot stuff. This made me want to get into photography. About 3 months ago I got the canon M50. Funny thing I haven’t done anything with it. I want to do some portraits, and maybe some home interior stuff. I’ve shot my kids, wife, etc but haven’t really done anything. My wife friend saw a pic I shot of the kids and said wow I would pay your husband to do this for us.Nox Showbox Mobdro

Now I’m hesitant to do it because I don’t want to let her down. So this comes to the question how did you know you were ready? I’m sure I can do an ok job it’s just the getting paid I feel funny about. Then again I do want to get paid to this professionally one day. I think where I’m stuck is I don’t feel “professional” per say.

Now this is the rub. I have a friend that got a DSLR and she is shooting people in the park on full auto and charging them $60 for like 10 poses. She says hey people don’t care if your auto or not they just want cool pics. She doesn’t even post process. I’m messing with Lightroom trying to figure out light reading and I started to think about what she said. People don’t care how you take them to the destination, they just want to get there

bhaji,

Rudy is correct, don't be like your friend and the majority of new the contributors.  If you are actually interested in photography, learn it.   Don't embarrass yourself.  Learn how to make images that you are actually proud of, before joining here or hanging out your "shingle". 

I was 13 years old in 1978 when my dad bought me a 35mm DSLR.  I don't know if I felt "professional" at that point, but I did know I wanted to explore photography as an art form.

I'd only been capturing images on Super 8 movie film and smaller 110 and 126 point-and-shoot cameras up to that point, so looking through the DSLR's viewfinder into the relatively gigantic 35mm frame was a real luxury.

This is where your thinking is backwards.  You want to feel "professional" before taking any pictures, learning the artform.  That's never going to happen.  Learn the artform.  Then you'll have the knowledge and experience to feel "professional".  Go out, shoot, make mistakes, learn from them, shoot some more, until you get proficient.

Anyway, "professional" means getting paid.  If everyone around you is saying they'd pay you to do this, then do it, get paid.  Then you'll be a "professional".

Of course, there are certain technical things you'll need to learn, to avoid some of your shots being a disaster, like exposure.  Too dark or too bright will make any paying customer feel they got ripped off.  Your friend shooting full auto must be very judicious about choosing neutral backgrounds for her subjects, like leaves, and avoids shooting into backlit sky or the sun. 

The great thing about digital is you can see the results immediately and make corrections right then and there, unlike film, where you had to pray and wait to get your stuff back from the lab.

There is a lot more to it with portraits, families (people shoots) than the technical stuff. Technical (near) perfection pertaining to exposure, aperture/DoF, light and shadows (!!!) is important, but it is not enough. Shooting people is also about the interaction with the model(s), Personalities come to play, making them feel comfortable and trusting, knowing how to make them look at their best, clothing, and even some knowledge of applying make up (what works and what not) are all equally important.

Professionalism is about attitude, paid or not  

True, Rudy.  I've found making TASTEFUL jokes helps relax everyone. 

I photograph a lot of weddings, and when I do the hands/rings shot, I say "And big smiles!", even though the bride and groom can see I'm only photographing their hands.  Always gets a laugh.

I never feel my work is good enough to get paid for it.  That's my Type A personality flaw talking.  Then I get to do shots like these, and think, "Hey...Not too shabby.  My work really doesn't suck!"  

In my mind, I'll never arrive because every shoot, every setting, every client, and every problem is different, and you can't possibly know or prepare for them all.  You just have to learn to roll with the punches.  Working 35+ years in TV news taught me that: adapt or go home. ;)

Heather_001.thumb.jpg.a93def6e1c0d3badafabb1a9845fdc99.jpg

XU1A9989.thumb.jpeg.e0c3195efef59e76ef9770910e2cff74.jpeg

967731756_20180113-PHI_2165-Edit-2-Editcopy.thumb.jpg.f9c99ade451820c9afab167c8c91ec28.jpg

These are all perfect Phil. you nailed each One. you learned how to do a setup fast and tell a story. Thats 90% man. very few can do that. I had to learn that also working for Eileen Ford doing Glamour and fashion..... in a week i shot in a 100 different sets and lighting conditions. that experience , you simply can't buy or teach very well.people ask all the time "How do you do That" I still say I dont know But, I do  storyboard everything, they are not accidents. I actually see the finished picture and I make sketches of it. I shoot social Issues, despair,love,devotion,Racism,aging etc, I use actors, I don't prefer Models there agenda can be seen On the face.Actors can play a part and being ready is the key. I shoot split seconds in time that won't come around again. I quit doing video because I wanted to tell stories and I just couldn't get it done the way I wanted in 30/45 seconds. It had to develop. It was very disappointing. I have hours of cool stuff that will never be seen. Oh well. Great Job Phil. I sure Like this better than your wildlife. You Know how to Light. Not many here can. Lighting is god. and all there is.

And No....you don't suck My friend.The man In the first Image with the woman Just Killed Himself. he was a good man. He did 50 Cowboy Movies as a extra. sad funeral.

CAT 11734 THE DEVOTION OF LOVE.jpg

CAT 11691 A BEAUTIFUL WOMAN UNDER THE SPOTLIGHT.jpg

CAT 11516 CD363 SENIOR MAN WITH DEEP SORROW.jpg

CAT 6570 CD231 WOMAN ALONE.jpg

CAT 7553 CD269 AFRO AMERICAN WOMAN.jpg

CAT 4218 CD176 YOUNG GLAMOUR MODEL.jpg

CAT 11731 BEAUTIFUL WOMAN ON BLACK WITH RED CAPE.jpg

CAT 11687 A BEAUTIFUL WOMAN ON BLACK.jpg

2 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

These are all perfect Phil. you nailed each One. you learned how to do a setup fast and tell a story. Thats 90% man. very few can do that. I had to learn that also working for Eileen Ford doing Glamour and fashion..... in a week i shot in a 100 different sets and lighting conditions. that experience , you simply can't buy or teach very well.people ask all the time "How do you do That" I still say I dont know But, I do  storyboard everything, they are not accidents. I actually see the finished picture and I make sketches of it. I shoot social Issues, despair,love,devotion,Racism,aging etc, I use actors, I don't prefer Models there agenda can be seen On the face.Actors can play a part and being ready is the key. I shoot split seconds in time that won't come around again. I quit doing video because I wanted to tell stories and I just couldn't get it done the way I wanted in 30/45 seconds. It had to develop. It was very disappointing. I have hours of cool stuff that will never be seen. Oh well. Great Job Phil. I sure Like this better than your wildlife. You Know how to Light. Not many here can. Lighting is god. and all there is.

And No....you don't suck My friend.The man In the first Image with the woman Just Killed Himself. he was a good man. He did 50 Cowboy Movies as a extra. sad funeral.

I really love your work and the mood. Too good and so much to learn from them.

23 hours ago, bhaji pav said:

So this comes to the question how did you know you were ready? I’m sure I can do an ok job it’s just the getting paid I feel funny about. Then again I do want to get paid to this professionally.

People don’t care how you take them to the destination, they just want to get there 

You want to become a professional, so learn and achieve the skillset.

If you want to sell, this is a different approach ;)
Your friend makes money, because she knows that people will take her shots without editing. So she saves some time for processing.Time is money. In that time, she can take shots for another client. More efficient and leading to more money.
From a photographers perspective, this is outrageous: how can she do that, this is not the right thing to do, shooting manual is the best and so on.

So again, what do you want?

You have to take my answer with a pinch of salt:
My advise would be: learn the skills AND make sales. In any way you want to. There is no rule :D
Your aquaintances familiy is a very good starting point.

To your question: I never feel ready and try it anyway.
And that´s okay. I always learn so much new stuff and make a ton of mistakes.

For my very first "professional" photo opportunity I never got paid, simply because I did not feel ready or that I could ask for getting paid for it. How stupid is that?
It was a 1 day shoot plus processing and was used for a book cover in the end. But: your time comes with a price. Don´t give it away so easily.

Studio pictures with perfect lightning/ manual settings don´t sell and crappy pics with tilted backgrounds, noise and no post production do for me in SS. Who knows, what works. :D

Learn and advance with the challenges, as this is the only way to grow.
You don´t feel ready? Do it anyway. And never stop learning.

Good luck!

On 11/6/2018 at 2:15 PM, bhaji pav said:

I have a friend that got a DSLR and she is shooting people in the park on full auto...

Shocking revelation....😳😈👿👹

Most photographers shooting people in a park type venue, or at a wedding etc shoot on auto. Maybe not full auto but auto non the less. Most probably shoot on aperture priority with auto focus which is basically shooting on auto. They are only controlling the f-stop and maybe the ISO.

when I do meetups and do street shooting which another is coming up if someone is near LA and wanna join in. PM me.. I will shoot Auto ISO and always have a speedlight on camera. even in full sun especially in full sun.. because it is run and gun. And No one knows what will sell BUT......Experience will tell you what won't. Trust me.

CAT 10049 CD346 HOMELESS.jpg

ST 2.jpg

DSC_5966.jpg

DSC_5986.jpg

21 hours ago, Phil Lowe said:

I never feel my work is good enough to get paid for it.  That's my Type A personality flaw talking.  Then I get to do shots like these, and think, "Hey...Not too shabby.  My work really doesn't suck!"  

In my mind, I'll never arrive because every shoot, every setting, every client, and every problem is different, and you can't possibly know or prepare for them all.  You just have to learn to roll with the punches.  Working 35+ years in TV news taught me that: adapt or go home. ;)

Heather_001.thumb.jpg.a93def6e1c0d3badafabb1a9845fdc99.jpg

XU1A9989.thumb.jpeg.e0c3195efef59e76ef9770910e2cff74.jpeg

967731756_20180113-PHI_2165-Edit-2-Editcopy.thumb.jpg.f9c99ade451820c9afab167c8c91ec28.jpg

Great shots, Phil.  I read somewhere once, maybe here, "no matter how much knowledge and experience you've acquired, go to each new shoot as a novice". 

Something to be said for that.  I guess that means "keep that childlike wonder and enthusiasm".

19 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

Love those faces, Laurin.  Very detailed, and you can really feel what they're feeling, even if it's pain.

Sorry about the gent in the top pic who killed himself.  So sad he couldn't find something in life that brought him joy.

correct. I shot him a lot. he was a true cowboy. Hated cars and cities. But he was depressed a lot.One of my first shots with Him and her then together. they were madly in Love.I think I photographed it.

CAT 6769 CD239 BEAUTIFUL WOMAN.jpg

CAT 6810 CD241 SADNESS old version.jpg

CAT 6785 CD240 THE SPIRIT OF MAN old version.jpg

CAT 7080 CD252 LOVERS.jpg

21 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

I must admit. It's always a pleasure to look at your work Laurin. Powerful portraits and a testimony to the fact that a picture is worth 1000 words.

Laurin:  Ah, depression--it's a killer, I know.  I usually beat it with vigorous physical exercise.  Sometimes I wonder if depression is simply one limiting one's mental and physical horizons.  The countryside is really beautiful, but I'd go nuts of boredom just living there--I gotta get into the city once in awhile!

I get to Downtown as Much as I can. Im a total City guy. I save the country for road Trips and you better believe I've driven all the Highways playing In a Million bands.. Nice to see But live there? No way. I need the Hustle and bustle. if what I did was a hobby?....sure Little house on the prairie and shoot my dogs and stuff..

Nice Fantasy But  a Living? sorry.

After 35+ years of hauling a TV news camera around, I broke new ground tonight with my first freelance newspaper assignment: an elementary school science fair.  I'd share the photos, but "work for hire" and all. ;)

If the newspaper posts them in its online edition, I'll pass along the link.  

9 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

I get to Downtown as Much as I can. Im a total City guy. I save the country for road Trips and you better believe I've driven all the Highways playing In a Million bands.. Nice to see But live there? No way. I need the Hustle and bustle. if what I did was a hobby?....sure Little house on the prairie and shoot my dogs and stuff..

Nice Fantasy But  a Living? sorry.

Yeah, Laurin, MONEY is in the city.

Think about this Mike....seriously. Great words a very famous guy told me when I was very Young and It's more true than anything I've ever learned.

"Money will Come to you,If....You Let it come to you" sounds stupid But so true, Most folks block it, They really do. It's a completely different Mindset.it comes from your parents at a young age telling you "You Can't do that" or "you'll never make any Money doing That" etc,etc.