Sign in to follow this  
David A Litman

Best Cloud Storage Option?

I currently have 2 external hard drives I use for backup, one at home and one at work.  Periodically, update and swap them, so I can always have two copies.  But I often forget, or put it off, and recently misplaced one of them.  So now I'm considering storing everything online.  Currently I pay $9.99/mo for Lightroom and Photoshop, which includes 20 GB free.  For an extra 9.99/mo they offer 1 TB of cloud storage.  Problem is, as far as I can tell, you can't upload folders, only files, and my work is organized into separate folders based on year and month.  So I'm considering other options.  Dropbox now offers 1 TB for $99/yr, Google has 1 TB for 9.99/yr and Microsoft for 6.99/mo.  

I'm curious how many people are using online storage, and which company.  

Thanks

I tried Carbonite and about 5 Others. I have 12/14 TB of stuff  I save everything and I save all Models archives and clients work including Outtakes. I tried carbonite. it took me 3 Months and 24 Hours a day to get through maybe 30% of it. I said thats enough and Invested in 2 different storage systems from G drives. cost Most But I don't care Im Backed up in triple. 2 here and One Off site. G drives are the preferred Backup for Movie production footage. Don't care what it costs. it is non replaceable. I started off 15 years ago with gold DVDs. they are rotten now. when I first got into digital I sat here and scanned it seems Like a Million slides and Prints for 6 months. Then the worst....... I crashed. never again guys. my copyrights and music are Valuable to My Kids and heirs. All the albums I did are Now dust in a box....really, Dust. I have clean copies of everything.

2 hours ago, Laurin Rinder said:

I tried Carbonite and about 5 Others. I have 12/14 TB of stuff  I save everything and I save all Models archives and clients work including Outtakes. I tried carbonite. it took me 3 Months and 24 Hours a day to get through maybe 30% of it.

I have maybe a quarter of what you have, but the initial backup does indeed take a while and it's a pain.  I checked around last year, and I noticed that a few of them offer sending you portable drives for the initial backup to speed things up.  I don't remember exactly which ones, but they're there.

That's a lot of terabytes!  I still have less than 1 TB.   Yes, the cloud is expensive, but even at $59/year, it would take quite a few years to spend as much as you would with one of those network attached storage systems.  And the NAS could crash or burn, or get stolen, yikes!  Carbonite looks interesting, but I would need the plan for 1 computer and an external drive, so about same price as some others.  Hopefully, cloud storage will continue to get cheaper with time. 

I have 2 back up drives - on 5 separate Hard Drives, they seem the most economical way of storage and at least if one crashes you still have the other back-up.  I find $60 per year a lot - especially when you can buy Hard drives relatively cheap these days - plus I don't trust the cloud - call me old fashioned, but someday that bubble will burst along with trillions of data!

38 minutes ago, David Litman said:

That's a lot of terabytes!  I still have less than 1 TB.   Yes, the cloud is expensive, but even at $59/year, it would take quite a few years to spend as much as you would with one of those network attached storage systems.  And the NAS could crash or burn, or get stolen, yikes!  Carbonite looks interesting, but I would need the plan for 1 computer and an external drive, so about same price as some others.  Hopefully, cloud storage will continue to get cheaper with time. 

or .....Out dated   .when it's your job and your the one that has others work to take care of, You will David. and once you crash Like I did and had to spend Months rebuilding you will also. ain't about If it will happen, It's about when. I still have 890 Gold DVDs at a friends house in there Linen closet.Sure Like to have that time back also. thats all there was Just a few short years ago.

I have a cheap USB 3 docking station which accepts 3.5" internal HDD and SSD. I used to use Lacie until I broke one open to find a Seagate HDD inside. I now only use Toshiba P300 HDD maximum 3 TB internal drives. More than 3TB you have more reliability problems. By using the same make and model if one fails you can change the print board/laser pickup on the back of the HDD very easily and recover your data. I  make 3 backups on different drives and keep them in special cheap rubber cases from Ebay and store them at separate locations. All in all the best option I have found, although no backup is 100%. damage limitation is the name of the game. All my best work has been accepted by the agencies so also a form of backup.