Gregory Desrosiers

Newbie Post: What's Faster in Submission - Upload all photos in one setting, or batches at a time?

When you got a big batch of photos you want to upload, let's say that you want to start seeing results right away instead of in a week.

Assuming that 80% or higher of, let's say, 150 photos are approved on Shutterstock, would you try to upload all the photos and get them all reviewed in one fell swoop, or do you upload batches of them, one at a time? When I uploaded my first 130 photos here, it took about 5 days to get them all evaluated, in which almost all of them were rejected. That's in comparison to 20 photos, which were reviewed in two full days.

See, I don't know how the review system works within Shutterstock as a new contributor, but considering I want to try to get as most of the uploaded photos onto my portfolio as possible, which would be the fastest way? Submit all of my 150 photos in one setting, or upload 20 photos for now, have them reviewed, and after some approvals and rejections, upload the next 20 and so on? In the long run, getting 150 photos submitted and reviewed may be faster, but it's possible more time may be lost because of editing required in order to get rejected ones approved, or some photos simply can't be uploaded because I don't have permission to do so.

I can't control how fast the photos are reviewed because it's not my role to review them to see if they can be put on my portfolio and up for sale. But I can control how frequent or big I upload them.

Edited by Gregory Desrosiers
I made the discussion more specific to make it clearer.

I upload/submit whenever I have photo ready without bothering with splitting things into batches.

If you are still testing the grounds of what can go through and what can't, it's probably better to upload few shots from a batch, so that you don't waste time tagging/describing things that might, for example, all get rejected as "non-licensable content" (say if your images have tons of graffiti in them).

Also if your shots cover similar subjects, it's probably better to submit them over few weeks, so that each one gets a chance to be 'new' in listing, rather all 20 being new at once and disappearing from the buyers radar.

In a long run though it probably does not matter either way.

alex is correct.Greg. Looking at your port of 4 Images that are not that good....Sorry. what do you Plan On doing ?. more of this or something Unique and original? which would be honestly opposite of your 4 Images.

Eventually everything gets reviewed, small batch or big batch. More importantly is to work on the quality of those images + commercial value, not just getting them approved which seems to be child’s play these days (look at some of the “new” images for any popular category like “cat”)

I'm in a similar dilemma - I have loads of stuff to submit that will keep me busy for a while - but do I upload different subjects in one batch or keep to the same subject?  I'm guessing spreading them with different subjects, which I hope will cause a few downloads - however I also feel if for example I uploaded 20 similars (not spamming). there is more of a chance of one of those being purchased as there will be a group of them - bit like premium bonds ;o)

Also been away and haven't submitted for a couple of weeks - uploaded some the other night and they are still pending, don't want to upload more until I know there isn't a problem.  How long is it taking these days?

(sorry - didn't mean to hijack this thread)!

8 hours ago, paula french said:

I'm in a similar dilemma - I have loads of stuff to submit that will keep me busy for a while - but do I upload different subjects in one batch or keep to the same subject?  I'm guessing spreading them with different subjects, which I hope will cause a few downloads - however I also feel if for example I uploaded 20 similars (not spamming). there is more of a chance of one of those being purchased as there will be a group of them - bit like premium bonds ;o)

Also been away and haven't submitted for a couple of weeks - uploaded some the other night and they are still pending, don't want to upload more until I know there isn't a problem.  How long is it taking these days?

(sorry - didn't mean to hijack this thread)!

I am not a master. Just trying to think logic :). I would just upload all as fast as i can. They will for sure not sell if they are not submitted. Is it better to have 500 on sales directly or first 100 and waiting? Just to be for a moment in the new tab?

I would submit them all at once and use the new time to shoot new images. It will take you some stress away of playing around how to upload best.

I submit my kids also all at once to the kindergarten and not one and the next after 1 hour :) Keep it simple :). Anyway 1000 people 1000 opinions. Choose the one where you feel best with :).

Mirco

31 minutes ago, Little Adventures said:

A point you might also consider: 

Even if you have tagged your pictures and they are ready to submit, actually submit them within 21 or 30 days. (not sure any more, what is valid. There is no documentation about it fromm SS) 

Reason: Timeout for pictures. They will be deleted from the servers and your work is gone. 

So be smart and don't work hard. 

Good point. 

It is 21 days.

47 minutes ago, Little Adventures said:

Editorials and vectors are fine, usually accepted within 24 hours this week ;)
But for commercials you need some patience nowadays, Paula.
Sure worth it with some beautiful animal shots :)

I really hope so ;o)