Doug McLean

Breaking News Photos?

Does Shutterstock supply news services with breaking news photos, and is there a submission process for them?

Occasionally, I happen to be in the right place at the right time and get photos that might be considered newsworthy. For example, on Monday, when there was a big explosion and fire at the Irving Oil refinery in Saint John, I had high resolution photos of the fire and efforts to contain it which I could have uploaded within a half hour or 45 minutes of the explosion, but didn't know where to send them. By the time they would get through the normal review process, they would be old news and nobody would be interested in them (I'll still submit them as editorial, they may have some value even when the news is no longer current).

There have been one or two other times in the past when I happened to be in the right place at the right time, but again, I didn't know what to do with the photos.

I would like to be ready for the next time I see something newsworthy, if Shutterstock is not the right place for such photos, does anyone know where would be a good place?

Thanks!

OK, I admit I am brand new to all of this so I could be way off. Could you perhaps contact the local and/or national news outlets just so you have the instant contact info??

On 10/12/2018 at 12:47 AM, OldGriz said:

OK, I admit I am brand new to all of this so I could be way off. Could you perhaps contact the local and/or national news outlets just so you have the instant contact info??

Thanks, I looked at that, but all I could easily find were places to upload your photos/videos, for them to use for free.

I applied at Rex, through a contributor contact, and they said:

"Hi Pete,

Many thanks for the offer of your material, but at this point we are unable to accept your images. Should that situation change in the near future, I will of course get back to you.

Thanks again, and all the best, " (I removed the name)

Anyone know why? Conflict of interest, my work stinks, they have hired people shooting the same? Anyone have any idea? I'd really like to be adding more to the Shutterstock family of images. Unable to accept doesn't sound the same as other reasons why I can't upload news photos to them.

2 hours ago, Doug McLean said:

No, haven't heard of them, but I'll take a look.

Lol, no it's a movie! It's Jake Gyllenhaal as a breaking news cameraman who decides to start helping the news happen more photogenically. It's a great movie, especially for photographers.

9 hours ago, Amanda Wayne said:

Lol, no it's a movie! It's Jake Gyllenhaal as a breaking news cameraman who decides to start helping the news happen more photogenically. It's a great movie, especially for photographers.

LOL, is that what they mean when they say "make photos"?

4 hours ago, Doug McLean said:

LOL, is that what they mean when they say "make photos"?

I think so! Early on in the film, the cameraman moves a car crash victim's body to a place with more favorable ambiance. That's just how it starts! 

On 10/16/2018 at 3:15 AM, HodagMedia said:

I applied at Rex, through a contributor contact, and they said:

"Hi Pete,

Many thanks for the offer of your material, but at this point we are unable to accept your images. Should that situation change in the near future, I will of course get back to you.

Thanks again, and all the best, " (I removed the name)

Anyone know why? Conflict of interest, my work stinks, they have hired people shooting the same? Anyone have any idea? I'd really like to be adding more to the Shutterstock family of images. Unable to accept doesn't sound the same as other reasons why I can't upload news photos to them.

This may have something to do with it:

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/ecommerce-editorial-license

31 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

This may have something to do with it:

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/ecommerce-editorial-license

Yes I suspect the answer is, they have hired staff people to shoot the same subjects and news that I want to submit. I'm fine with that, business is business. 😎

There are other options, such as a contract from a supplier who provides content on demand. Oh I found it, AP/Shutterstock, appears to be AP stringers, local photographers.

The Associated Press is the most trusted independent global news organization delivering fast and unbiased breaking news to us from all over the world. Today, we are excited to announce a multiyear U.S. distribution agreement between Shutterstock and AP, adding more than 3,000 breaking news, sports, and entertainment images and video clips daily, as well as 30 million images and nearly two million video clips from AP’s visual archive to Shutterstock’s Premier platform.

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/ap-shutterstock-announce-u-s-distribution-deal

Done, now we know.

Hope that helped Doug? I wouldn't have looked if you hadn't asked. Thanks Alexandre

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, Doug McLean said:

"There have been one or two other times in the past when I happened to be in the right place at the right time, but again, I didn't know what to do with the photos"

Forget agencies and sell to newspapers directly.

3 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

Yes I suspect the answer is, they have hired staff people to shoot the same subjects and news that I want to submit. I'm fine with that, business is business. 😎

There are other options, such as a contract from a supplier who provides content on demand. Oh I found it, AP/Shutterstock, appears to be AP stringers, local photographers.

The Associated Press is the most trusted independent global news organization delivering fast and unbiased breaking news to us from all over the world. Today, we are excited to announce a multiyear U.S. distribution agreement between Shutterstock and AP, adding more than 3,000 breaking news, sports, and entertainment images and video clips daily, as well as 30 million images and nearly two million video clips from AP’s visual archive to Shutterstock’s Premier platform.

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/ap-shutterstock-announce-u-s-distribution-deal

Done, now we know.

Hope that helped Doug? I wouldn't have looked if you hadn't asked. Thanks Alexandre

Thanks, I'll email Associated Press.

I submitted the editorial photos for current news to Shutterstock, but of course, by the time they get reviewed, they aren't current news any more.