Sign in to follow this  
Leonard Whistler

What's the difference? Crop sensor versus full frame ......

6 minutes ago, Leonard Whistler said:

I'm thinking of getting a Canon 5DIV - but not sure. I have the 5DIII.

I have the 5D4. Great camera. Not as high in resolution as the 5DSR.  If you want to crop, get the 5DSR. The 5D4 is a great generalist camera.  It will do a lot and has very manageable file sizes.  It's a worthy upgrade to the 5D3.  My Nikon D7200 was $2,500 less and produces more detailed images.  To have a full frame camera that produces the same kind of image detail that my D7200 (or an 80D) would, it would need to be about 60 megapixels.

Yes, the higher pixel density on a crop factor camera hurts low-light performance.  It's why Panasonic released a 12MP GH-5S: to improve low-light performance.  But if your goal is to crop the hell out of a full frame image, get a camera that has the highest resolution you can get.  Currently, in DSLR's, that's the Canon 5DSR.

Before I got my 5D4, I had actually rented the 5DSR.  I didn't want to part with it when it came time to return it.  I was torn between the 5D4 and 5DSR, but went with the 5D4 because it's a more versatile camera: way better low-light performance, faster burst rate, and 4K video.  But now that I'm putting prints in a gallery for sale, I'm kinda' wishing I had that 5DSR, especially for large canvas and metal prints.  Landscapes and portraits done with that 5DSR are incredible. This is a shot I took of my oldest daughter a couple of years ago using the 5DSR.  I had already cropped this in a little.  The second shot is a 297% zoom into her eye: an almost 3x blow-up of the image.  I have never seen a 5D3 hold detail like that under that kind of cropping!  That's what pixel density gives you: incredible detail when cropped!  

1878846495_Fullview.thumb.jpg.7b5d2aadcf755a10ce9eb1e8d8975ff7.jpg

290098472_297zoom.thumb.jpg.cdaa2f74d8d00af11eae14c0ff26f326.jpg

And here is one of my hummingbird shots from 2 years ago.  Taken with a 20.9 MP Nikon D500 at full view (33.33%) then zoomed into 290%.  Again, I have images shot with my old 5D MkIII.  It's a great camera.  I absolutely hated to part ways with it.  But the 5D3 could NEVER hold this kind of detail when zoomed into an image like this.  Again, that is a function of pixel density.  There is a lot more information packed into a smaller area on these high-resolution crop sensor bodies.  I expect Canon's next 5DS release will be around 60 MP.  At that point, images from that camera will be able to hold this kind of detail when cropped.

1444123952_fullsize_002.thumb.jpg.46c4aaa35d8ef10d7d40029005714515.jpg

334423947_290zoom.thumb.jpg.5d3a5425efd70a4f4fa9dbe2f9f18448.jpg

Love that......."Mic Drop" I could have used that a 100 Times. My 12MP D3 nikon was twice the camera all around than the 36MP d800 was.why, I don't know.Everything about it was Pro...... the OLD D2h 4 MP was the same thing.Hell of a camera.Detail was staggering.