Sue J Hill Photography

Release for animals/insects in Zoos, WWT, NT

On 9/20/2018 at 2:24 PM, Holly Kuchera said:

No captive animals? I can for sure state that's not true. Sea World? Probably cause it is a listed restriction - https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/kbat02/Known-Image-Restrictions-Places-and-Landmarks-North-and-South-America:

I didn't say "No captive animals", just that there is at least one person with SS who seems to blanket-reject anything at a zoo.

As for the SeaWorld one, that's new to me and I asked around including with park employees originally, so thank you.  I wonder when that came into place and whether it's a legit reason or just bias against SeaWorld because they became cool to hate and SS jumped on the bandwagon.  The other sites I'm on still accept images from them, and depending on what's in it, don't necessarily require them to be editorial.

20 hours ago, Puffin's Pictures said:

I didn't say "No captive animals", just that there is at least one person with SS who seems to blanket-reject anything at a zoo.

As for the SeaWorld one, that's new to me and I asked around including with park employees originally, so thank you.  I wonder when that came into place and whether it's a legit reason or just bias against SeaWorld because they became cool to hate and SS jumped on the bandwagon.  The other sites I'm on still accept images from them, and depending on what's in it, don't necessarily require them to be editorial.

The reason I said "no captive animals" is that every one of my animal images is clearly labeled "captive animal" when appropriate. I don't think I've ever had a property release rejection for them in the 10+ years I've been submitting them. (BS did as for a property release once - I obtained it, supplied it and soon after got rejections that stated I didn't need a property release).

The SeaWorld restriction has been in place for as long as I can remember. I believe the policy is in place because SeaWorld has made it be that way - and they been active in prosecuting offenders. That's why I try not to put up images of places that have listed restrictions (either on stock sites or at the place itself). You never know how diligent they might be in finding offenders and prosecuting. That prosecution could be anything from a lifetime ban from going to the location to monetary payment. Either way, I'd rather not risk it. If you really want to get around the restrictions, don't list zoo names or submit photos that are obviously in a zoo. But realize you might still get caught. There was someone on SS that was submitting images of animals from a local zoo without listing any identifying zoo information. But, anyone who had done photography that particular zoo could tell you exactly where they were taken and I'm sure the zookeepers could too. That particular zoo has a very visible stated photography policy - commercial photography requires a permit. So, that person is running the risk of someone from the zoo seeing one of their photos, tracking down who took it and going after them. It's a risk they've either decided to take or are blissfully ignorant of the possible consequences.

As for other sites accepting images of SeaWorld - they are taking that risk as well. Good luck to them and you in avoiding future problems!

(Although I might add, breaking the rules only makes it harder for the rest of us photogs. I've been jumped by "persons in authority" enough at events and venues that I've come up with a default answer. "Yes I'm a professional photographer, but not today. Today is for fun and practice." And, if the site has a stated policy, I honor it. If they don't... well... I consider it fair game. :)